Best Scottish Tv Programs - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Best Scottish Tv Programs

I loved watching "Gruth Is Uachdar", think it was from about 2002 or 2003.

A three part adaption of Finlay J MacDonald's Hebridean childhood memoires. They filmed it on location in Uist with a cast of local amateur actors and on a budget of about £2.80 and despite that, it turned out to be a really well produced program.

Stunning scenery plus it really captured the era MacDonald wrote about - thirties and forties island crofting life and culture.

They repeat it once in a while on BBC Alba but it's sadly not available on DVD to my knowledge.

Watch it if you ever get the chance.

Weir's Way.

Which got me thinking, wtf has happened to STV in recent years?

They used to do factual programmes, documentaries, live music, plays, one off dramas, gameshows, soaps, kids tv, comedy, multi-sport coverage etc.

Now there's the news, Scotland Tonight, and that's about it!

Edited by Toepoke

Weir's Way.

Which got me thinking, wtf has happened to STV in recent years?

They used to do factual programmes, documentaries, live music, plays, one off dramas, gameshows, soaps, multi-sport coverage etc.

Now there's the news, Scotland Tonight, and that's about it!

:ok:

Wonderful program presented by a much missed top Scot.

Crow Road was great.

Taggart in its peak was good. Mark McManus was so like my Grandpa it was unreal (including sad boozing demise). Still shed a tear for D.I Jardine.

Naked Video and City Lights in 1980's.

The Munro Show

Crow Road, barring one of the best opening lines in English literature, was like all of Iain (M) Banks works, shite.

Terri MacIntyre, Classy Bitch: now you're talking.

Crow Road was excellent. I own the dvd and still watch it from time to time. Cracking cast too, including the current Dr Who.

I used to love Scotsport on a Sunday afternoon when it showed random English 4th Division games and it's Friday night equivalent, Scotsport Extra Time with Jim White, my fellow southsider and one-times drinking partner Gerry McNee and occasionally John McCririck. They could surely make a Scottish football preview show nowadays?

It feels like I am taking crazy pills here. Crow Road was dreadful. How can you not see it? What is wrong with you guys?

I enjoyed it at the time but looking back the characters were a bit one dimensional. The film American Beauty is like that for me too.

Agree with you about Terri MacIntyre, not enough of that was seen.