Joining A Union - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Oil and gas industry

Give one of the general unions a look, Unite or GMB. You can opt out for your membership to fund parties. I've been in Unite since 2001 and only this year opted for my membership to fund the Labour Party. When joining you will be asked whether to contract in, or contract out. Contract out and Mr. Corbyn won't see a penny.

Edited by Scunnered

Can anyone give me advice of which union would be best to join,i do t want to be funding the any political parties while being a member,,, any suggestions?

as long as its not The British Union, you should be looked after.

I have never thought about joining a union, however the way in which my company have been paying people off(just handing an envelope with no warnig or consaltation) has pushed me the way of the unions,,,,," loyalty will be rewarded" is what my chairmen always shouts, well now we are all seeing the reward of it

I have never thought about joining a union, however the way in which my company have been paying people off(just handing an envelope with no warnig or consaltation) has pushed me the way of the unions,,,,," loyalty will be rewarded" is what my chairmen always shouts, well now we are all seeing the reward of it

Not saying it's a good thing but the no warning. Is that normally not because they are giving enhanced packages to buy out statutory rights. ? Consultation will always be box ticking exercise. I was looking up a global report and amount of people given severance Xmas eve New Year's Eve was nasty on our company

Give one of the general unions a look, Unite or GMB. You can opt out for your membership to fund parties. I've been in Unite since 2001 and only this year opted for my membership to fund the Labour Party. When joining you will be asked whether to contract in, or contract out. Contract out and Mr. Corbyn won't see a penny.

I joined Unite a year ago. The choice to opt out was not made clear in anyway. I had to contact them to do this . I was not even aware i could opt out till a friend told me. It was straightforward enough in the end but make it clear from the start you want to opt out .

I joined Unite a year ago. The choice to opt out was not made clear in anyway. I had to contact them to do this . I was not even aware i could opt out till a friend told me. It was straightforward enough in the end but make it clear from the start you want to opt out .

Yeah they really should put it on the one form. If you signed up through a rep and he didn't provide you with an exemption form he should be getting kicked in the testiculars!

Have to disagree with you there, all the core crew guys on this platform are in a union, most joined due to rota changes ect,,,and thats my experience on most platforms tbh

Depends what you do.

It seems pretty worthless if you're the only employee of your own limited company.

I don't know anybody who's in a union, it's pretty seriously discouraged in O&G.

Just yesterday emailed to come out of my Union. Like the rest of the work force, the delegates are shitting themselves about upsetting anyone in authority, in case it lands them in bother, and as such will sugar coat issues that are very serious.

They talk a good game, and have the same concerns, but when it gets to the nitty gritty, there is no follow through. Too much hypocrisy for me, and the days of a workforce truly standing together, to envoke change are long gone imo.

Has anyone ever seen a thin union rep?

Aye, mines a slender, marathon running, cycling enthusiast quine. Member of the greens so not your standard red flag flying mindset.

Prospect union, by the way. Politically neutral but do have a 60p per year political fund which can be opt out. 14k in energy sector https://www.prospect.org.uk/select_an_industry/energy/index

Seems to be the case now that there are no jobs for life and everyone needs to have a buffer for when redundancies come.

It hurts when it comes but you keep to just move on. If a company is going to the wall there's not a lot a union can do.

I thought oil and gas was loaded up with contractors for the purpose of being able to scale up and down the workforce as required. Bonus for this is that the wages are usually higher.

Spot on with this. Industry I'm in was/is seen as a job for life and very very safe where no one would want to leave. Certainly it was what I always wanted to do, being a footballer aside. Im now actively looking elsewhere myself.

We are losing staff all over the shop now, from personal choice and cuts, with more and more of the latter, happening year on year. The Union content themselves by saying 'no one is being made redundant' but if you don't replace a retiree or someone who had left, it's essentially the same thing.

Seems to be the case now that there are no jobs for life and everyone needs to have a buffer for when redundancies come.

It hurts when it comes but you keep to just move on. If a company is going to the wall there's not a lot a union can do.

I thought oil and gas was loaded up with contractors for the purpose of being able to scale up and down the workforce as required. Bonus for this is that the wages are usually higher.

I was just going to ask do unions in general still have any clout?