Religion In Football; Good Or Bad? - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Religion In Football; Good Or Bad?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is this even being brought up on here. I've never seen religion brought up at Scotland games!

There's only 2 clubs in Scotland that bring religion into football nobody else!

It's never going to go away and anybody who thinks it will is just daft.. In fact I think it's going to get worse after our failed independence bid.

Why is this even being brought up on here. I've never seen religion brought up at Scotland games!

It's never going to go away and anybody who thinks it will is just daft.. In fact I think it's going to get worse after our failed independence bid.

This sub forum is headed 'Anything Goes'.

For someone to blame irish immigrants on bigotry when Scotland's history with Ireland is pretty shameful doesn't surprise me but makes me cringe.

Relgion like guns in USA is not the problem its the people who use their religion to divide or to use a gun to shoot someone.

Brace yourself, there are some on here who think that the British Army is the best thing since penicilin was invented and "our boys" are never to be criticised under any circumstances. :rolleyes:

But I quite agree with you as it happens.

Northern Ireland games & Republic games recently have seen it brought up both by instances at the game & discussions after them.

Absolute crap :ok:

Northern Ireland games & Republic games recently have seen it brought up both by instances at the game & discussions after them.

Absolute crap :ok:

Religion is absolutely and utterly irrelevant to football just as the fkin UJ is to Scottish fitba. Anyone bringing either the the game is an out and out cock.

Aye you are right bzzzz its not even heard of in scottish football. So ignorance must be bliss. Irrelevant? Do you stay in the North Pole?

Maybe have a look up at what the word "irrelevant" means.

I know what it means. Not anything to do with the subject in question. Just so happens Rangers and Celtic are two biggest clubs in Scotland and religion is very relevant. Shouldnt be but is. Any other relevant questions.

Anyway after starting this thread I have come to my own conclusion.

First of all the stuff Lennon got with the bullets and all that was way beyond the pale and all of that stuff was almost certainly motivated by sectarianism.

That said Martin o'Neill was/is an Northern Irish Catholic Nationalist like Lennon and a much better and more successful manager than Lennon was and yet I don't recall him getting any where near the amount of "general" abuse that Lennon got. I also recall Lennon being pretty unpopular with fans of other teams, in particular I remember him making up stories about Aberdeen fans throwing coffee at him at Tynecastle.

Maybe he was just an arsehole?

Personally I've no time for either of them but my dislike of Neil Lennon goes back to when he was a nasty wee nark at Leicester and as far as O'Neill is concerned it goes back to when he was manager at Wycombe.

Good post. In full agreement with you. I couldn't stand the wee yellow toothed #####. My entire family are all Catholics. My Grandmother is Irish too. We all believe in a free Scotland and Ireland. So it was always annoying to hear the sectarian line churned out when Lennon was talked about.