Austerity! "i'd Pay More Tax If I Could" - Page 4 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Austerity! "i'd Pay More Tax If I Could"

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Scottish Conservatives said the exact same thing about the bedroom tax rebates, that worked out well.

Another alternative would be for the Scottish Government to reduce their business subsidies in favour of protecting public services. If they did then maybe the excuse of services being cut due to Westminster cuts would carry more weight.

Was that versus looking at every single one on a case by case basis?

That's not rhetorical, I'm just guessing that was the alternative solution?

Was that versus looking at every single one on a case by case basis?

That's not rhetorical, I'm just guessing that was the alternative solution?

Sorry, I don't understand the question. Probably my fault rather than yours :lol:. I'm on my 5th 16 hour shift in a row.

Sorry, I don't understand the question. Probably my fault rather than yours :lol:. I'm on my 5th 16 hour shift in a row.

:lol:

With the bedroom tax, were the 2 options:

Charge everyone bedroom tax and have a rebate process.

Or

Look at every household in a case by case basis.

I'm pretty ignorant on such matters, but that was the question I was trying to ask. If that was the case, a rebate system actually makes sense.

:lol:

With the bedroom tax, were the 2 options:

Charge everyone bedroom tax and have a rebate process.

Or

Look at every household in a case by case basis.

I'm pretty ignorant on such matters, but that was the question I was trying to ask. If that was the case, a rebate system actually makes sense.

The mitigation of. the bedroom tax came after the tax was already in force. It wasn't just a simple case of people not being charged after mitigation, local authorities & housing associations had to painstakingly contact every affected household to arrange reimbursement details, including written agreements on who was to receive payment in the event of joint tenancy. It would have taken thousands of man hours but it was a moment to be proud of the Scottish Government. This could be another.

The Scottish Conservatives said the exact same thing about the bedroom tax rebates, that worked out well.

Another alternative would be for the Scottish Government to reduce their business subsidies in favour of protecting public services. If they did then maybe the excuse of services being cut due to Westminster cuts would carry more weight.

Can you point me on-line to details of these subsidies ?

The mitigation of. the bedroom tax came after the tax was already in force. It wasn't just a simple case of people not being charged after mitigation, local authorities & housing associations had to painstakingly contact every affected household to arrange reimbursement details, including written agreements on who was to receive payment in the event of joint tenancy. It would have taken thousands of man hours but it was a moment to be proud of the Scottish Government. This could be another.

It was but I would rather not waste my money on bureaucracy so your definition of worked out well is not mine

You and I discussed this at reasonable length last year. My position remains unchanged, no businesses should be subsidised at the expense of public services. I do understand your position though :ok:

I receive not one single penny in subsidy or anything else from the Scottish Govt (or any other Govt for that matter). I understand and (in general) agree with your position.

But and its a huge but the problem is "at the expense of" - that is very hard/impossible to determine. Politics.

I found the budget and have seen the figures - I have absolutely no idea of the usefulness of these subsidies, simply not sufficient data (that I am aware of) so cannot condemn or support.

From the House of Commons today

Kirsty-Blackman
I understand that the Labour party is feeling a bit sad, because, as it has not been successful enough to be in government in either country, it is not involved in these negotiations. Now that the shadow Secretary of State has the opportunity to have his say, can he please tell us what method of block grant adjustment Labour would favour?

Ian Murray
Well, we do not know—[Laughter.] Let me answer the question!

Also had another SNPBad speech from Labour warmonger Kevan Jones who was criticising the SNP for not caring about the people of England :blink:

Why as an individual would you pay more tax when the government is reducing the top rate of tax for high earners and reducing corporation tax?

As an individual, you would pay more tax if the government telt you too. :wink2: Most taxpayers don't have the option of not paying. Of course it's a different situation for higher earners. Nobody needs to pay 40% tax unless they want to.

As an individual, you would pay more tax if the government telt you too. :wink2: Most taxpayers don't have the option of not paying. Of course it's a different situation for higher earners. Nobody needs to pay 40% tax unless they want to.

Aye you'd be off your head to give any government more money than you had to.

Aside from from paying more into their pension I'm struggling...or donating money to charity with Gift Aid...