Austerity! "i'd Pay More Tax If I Could" - Page 7 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Austerity! "i'd Pay More Tax If I Could"

My main gripe is SNP say they are anti-austerity but their actions are in direct contrast. Nationalism stops people questioning them though.

People don't question the SNP = bad nationalism

People don't question the government = it's too complex and something for politicians and economists to argue over

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't mean it like that. People can argue over the pros and cons of austerity. That's part of normal political discourse.

The SNP are promoting austerity while saying they are against. They complain about cuts while cutting local services. They say they have no powers but they do. They promote Scotland as a more egalitarian culture when it is not. Their councillors are banned from criticizing Holyrood even when their constituents are negatively impacted.

They do not want to raise tax. They don't want to use the powers they have. People n who say they would pay more tax are generally insincere.

http://youtu.be/go2bVGi0ReE

http://youtu.be/CaH_asYvsVs

According to these guys reducing government spend will increase the deficit.

These guys are telling us that austerity doesn't work. The Tories realised that a couple of years into their "austerity" program but it suited their political agenda to keep on banging on about it. Some folk will argue that "austerity" was never really part of their plan in the first place. It just sounded good when trying to win votes. "Austerity" is defined as the measures taken to pay down government debt. This usually includes reduced spending AND INCREASING TAXES. The UK government hasn't paid down any of the debt, not one penny. The debt continues to grow every single second. About £5000 every single second.

What we are talking about here is the dismantling of the welfare state not "austerity"

The Tory plan here is to continue the program of the transfer of wealth from the poor to the rich. The "austerity" word is just a smokescreen.

These guys are telling us that austerity doesn't work. The Tories realised that a couple of years into their "austerity" program but it suited their political agenda to keep on banging on about it. Some folk will argue that "austerity" was never really part of their plan in the first place. It just sounded good when trying to win votes. "Austerity" is defined as the measures taken to pay down government debt. This usually includes reduced spending AND INCREASING TAXES. The UK government hasn't paid down any of the debt, not one penny. The debt continues to grow every single second. About £5000 every single second.

What we are talking about here is the dismantling of the welfare state not "austerity"

The Tory plan here is to continue the program of the transfer of wealth from the poor to the rich. The "austerity" word is just a smokescreen.

Spot on.

Sounds confusing. Let's just support the government instead

Orraloon why do you think Scottish Parliament should not make full use of it's powers? Do you not trust Scottish politicians to make the correct decisions?

Always excuses. Always doubt. There is power there to act but you smokescreen with "block grant" which will not be impacted.

Why are you pushing for tax increases? It goes against your political philosophy. Why are you abandoning that?

Why are you pushing for tax increases? It goes against your political philosophy. Why are you abandoning that?

This is more of a fact finding mission to see if people would pay more tax and it's looking quite clear that wont. So all the austerity, progressive, egalitarian talk is just nonsense and empty. It's a brave approach from Labour, don't think it will be massive for them in the election but it chips away at the falsehoods the SNP have spread for a long time.

It's an interesting blog from IPRR below.

http://www.ippr.org/blog/household-equity-analysing-the-impacts-of-scottish-parties-tax-proposals

This is more of a fact finding mission to see if people would pay more tax and it's looking quite clear that wont. So all the austerity, progressive, egalitarian talk is just nonsense and empty. It's a brave approach from Labour, don't think it will be massive for them in the election but it chips away at the falsehoods the SNP have spread for a long time.

It's an interesting blog from IPRR below.

http://www.ippr.org/blog/household-equity-analysing-the-impacts-of-scottish-parties-tax-proposals

It's not as simple yes or no for more tax money. It depends on how it's been spent. Why would your average working person want to pay more tax now?

It's not as simple yes or no for more tax money. It depends on how it's been spent. Why would your average working person want to pay more tax now?

Nobody wants to pay more tax. Well maybe a small minority. The tax bill falls on the average working person as the largest number of people who pay tax and contribute the most are middle incomes.

Westminster and Holyrood spend more than they receive so public expenditure is cut. As an aside the real income of oil for an Indy Scotland would be 1% of projected so imagine the mess and unanswered questions on independence day?

Scotland is not more left. It is not more egalitarian. The SNP do not care about austerity or the poorest who get hit with cuts. They don't want to make tough decisions or charge more tax. They are hiding behind a smokescreen.

And people on here and in the real world don't really care either. Just hot air. If they did want to stop the cuts they'd vote for a party that would raise revenue to bring more into government purse.

Edited by Alan

All the SNP can do in the face of endless Tory cuts will be plot an intelligent retreat. i.e. Cut the least important things first and so on. What we don't do is raise taxes to intentionally feck Scotland's economy. They turned Scotland into an economic wasteland last time we got a bit uppity. Let's no go militant here...Just pass the cuts on. Let them reap what they sow.

Update from last week.

Labour and Liberal Democrats voted for.

Conservatives, SNP and Greens voted against. Cue jokes about "better together" and "tax payers alliance".

Saves me the cost of a flat white at a farmers market while being largely unaffected by the cuts as I don't use the services that are going to be cut or work for the council.

I can't believe I'm getting Reaganomics tax cuts from Westminster and Holyrood. Like the 1980's again. Utopia.

yay increased military spending (a vital part of reagonomics) let's start another arms race. Guess what industry is going to jump as a result of all those tax breaks? Social welfare, nope, that loses funding.Corporate welfare though will be sorted. Weapons manufacturers maybe?

also we're already ticked up let's increase our national debt and deficit more another side affect of Reaganomics, but hey at least income tax and capital gains tax is down.

Don't go off thread about military spending. I have had tax cuts in one form or other (council tax freeze, stamp duty cut when I bought my house, income tax personal allowance raised) over a 5 year period from both governments! Thankyou Conservatives, Liberal Democrats and SNP.

I could pay more tax. Like most I don't want to and the way the next 5 year period is going I won't have to. Makes me think what's the point in voting in Holyrood elections? Nothing is going to negatively impact me.

Edited by Alan

18 minutes ago, Alan said:

Don't go off thread about military spending. I have had tax cuts in one form or other (council tax freeze, stamp duty cut when I bought my house, income tax personal allowance raised) over a 5 year period from both governments! Thankyou Conservatives, Liberal Democrats and SNP.

I could pay more tax. Like most I don't want to and the way the next 5 year period is going I won't have to. Makes me think what's the point in voting in Holyrood elections? Nothing is going to negatively impact me.

You brought up Reaganomics which brings up military spending.