Car Roof Boxes - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Car Roof Boxes

Looking into getting one of these but like everything else about cars I know fck all about them really. Done a bit of scouting online but no really much further forward.

My cars got a couple of those roof rail affairs that run the length of the roof so Im presuming its just a matter of getting a couple of the cross bar things and we're good to go?

Boxes seem pricey as fck so could I get one off Gumtree that'll fit the bars or does it have to be specific boxes for specific bars on specific cars?

Cheers 'n' dat.

Edited by neil r

You'll need specific roofbars that fit to the rails of your car, Thule usually a pretty good make.

Once you have them you should be able to pick any roofbox.

Only thing to consider regards the box might be the size to the size of car your driving, which is common sense really.

Edited by braveheart_lynch

Got roof rails and Thule bars and box. Very easy to fit and use. Store mine above my car in garage when not using, just lift it up on slings. But light enough to lift off myself if need be.

Been fantastic for holidays/ weekends away with having two kids.

I went to Halfords when we got our Thule roof bag a few years back - they were good for explaining what I needed and even fitted it all. The roof bag was my preferred option as it rolls up and can be stored easily while the box takes up much more room. Depends how often you're going to use it, but given that we only needed the extra capacity for summer holiday trips it made more sense to go for the bag.