Tourist Killed By Elephant - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Tourist Killed By Elephant

The done in Topsy - electroouted her and sold tickets

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Topsy_(elephant)

Documentary on bbc I player on an elephant that went on the rampage at a show in Hawaii after years of mistreatment , died in a hail of bullets

Another bbc I player documentary just recently Storyville about old photoge of circus showed a variety of animals performing trick lion tamer and polar bears going down slides

Anyone who does any sort of research will be aware that these sort of things should be avoided on and ethical and ecological point of view. Even many of the tours further north in Thailand which market themselves as ethical and eco friendly are clearly not if you take even a few seconds to look into it.

Anyone who does any sort of research will be aware that these sort of things should be avoided on and ethical and ecological point of view. Even many of the tours further north in Thailand which market themselves as ethical and eco friendly are clearly not if you take even a few seconds to look into it.

Spent a bit of time in India a few years ago and visited tamed Elephants. On the face of it they were treated well and seemed content. I found out later that it probably wasn't the case. I was pretty ignorant to stuff like that at the time.

One thing you learned very quickly, was just how vulnerable you were, being that close to them. I mind commenting To my mate afterwards that they could have crushed us like we were grapes if it took their fancy.

Spent a bit of time in India a few years ago and visited tamed Elephants. On the face of it they were treated well and seemed content. I found out later that it probably wasn't the case. I was pretty ignorant to stuff like that at the time.

One thing you learned very quickly, was just how vulnerable you were, being that close to them. I mind commenting To my mate afterwards that they could have crushed us like we were grapes if it took their fancy.

Is your mate Stu Francis ?

Not keen on that sharp hook that the Mahmouts tap the elephants on head with. Although I don't think I seen that in South Africa. This was Thailand. Ones in Thailand seemed distressed pacing back on forth on either foot.

It was a short cane they used at the one I went toi think.

I spent some time in Sri Lanka and India many years ago, and we did the Elephant ride thing. The elephants however were also used for logging , I don't remember seeing the handlers mistreat them and they seemed quite happy. The handlers seemed to treat them well enough. It was about 30 years ago.

People in these countries have a completely different outlook on these things they don't place much value on the lives or wellbeing of animals.

I spent some time in Sri Lanka and India many years ago, and we did the Elephant ride thing. The elephants however were also used for logging , I don't remember seeing the handlers mistreat them and they seemed quite happy. The handlers seemed to treat them well enough. It was about 30 years ago.

People in these countries have a completely different outlook on these things they don't place much value on the lives or wellbeing of animals.

Is that the same Sri Lanka in which over half the population are Buddhists?

Is that the same Sri Lanka in which over half the population are Buddhists?

I only know one Sri Lanka, and as I said the animals didn't appear to have been mistreated. Buddhists or not people can still mistreat animals.

Read somewhere that the owners were not putting the elephant down but were giving him two weeks off and transferring him to a new site...how many believe that? Plenty footage of the poor treatment of the elephants in this resort and others - even the TV footage of the offending elephant looked pretty abysmal with him tied by a short chain and lots of debris in the area. I hope this tragic incident opens tourists' eyes to the poor circumstances that these animals are kept in.

Read somewhere that the owners were not putting the elephant down but were giving him two weeks off and transferring him to a new site...how many believe that?

Mmm a bit like when you were wee and your auld dug got sent tae the farm? I think anyone who pays for a ride on one of these poor animals is paying in to the way they are treated

The Vietnamese also eat dogs, different parts of the world / cultures treat animals differently.

Sad but true.