Leicester - What A Team This Year - Page 11 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Leicester - What A Team This Year

12 minutes ago, aaid said:

I've been saying that for some time now.  Not only does it mean that teams outwith the big clubs can compete for talent from abroad it also means that they don't have to sell their best players either.

In an ideal world it would probably mean the league being a lot more competitive, in reality it probably means that even more money will be spunked on transfer fees, agent's cuts and player's wages. 

likely what it will mean is an even weaker England team due to foreign players taking  up all the playing spots 

• Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

36 minutes ago, biffer said:

Ok, I have a theory.

I believe that over the next five to ten years we will see a lot more teams compete for and win the English Premier League. The domination of Man U, City, Chelsea and Arsenal of the top four slots is history. 

And here's why.

The new deal they've signed makes them the richest league in the world by a considerable distance. Aston Villa will get more money for being last than the team in sixth will get in La Liga. 

This means that every single team in the EPL can compete with pretty much anyone in Germany, Italy, Spain or anywhere else. That makes little difference to the old big four, because they already could. But for everyone else it changes the class of footballer they can sign. 

The old four will improve a bit having the extra money - but everyone else in the league will improve a lot, so the gap will close. The league will become more competitive as a result, with the (much smaller) gap between the four biggest clubs and everyone else being reduced to a level where it can be overcome with good coaching sliced with a wee bit of luck.

Interesting times.

I like your theory but the huge money compared to other countries has been there for a few years so it should have therefore happened sooner maybe ?

39 minutes ago, fringo said:

I like your theory but the huge money compared to other countries has been there for a few years so it should have therefore happened sooner maybe ?

Not on this scale. It's only the new deal coming in next year that takes all the teams way above the other leagues in Europe.

11 minutes ago, biffer said:

Not on this scale. It's only the new deal coming in next year that takes all the teams way above the other leagues in Europe.

Mmm, not so sure. The money has been ridiculous for a while although it's maybe it's getting even worse.

21 minutes ago, fringo said:

Mmm, not so sure. The money has been ridiculous for a while although it's maybe it's getting even worse.

http://www.espnfc.com/barclays-premier-league/23/blog/post/2724541/premier-league-new-tv-deal-will-usher-in-bold-era

It's been ridiculous, yes, but the new deal takes the EPL head and shoulders above all the others. Top 20 richest teams all likely to be in England.

12 minutes ago, biffer said:

http://www.espnfc.com/barclays-premier-league/23/blog/post/2724541/premier-league-new-tv-deal-will-usher-in-bold-era

It's been ridiculous, yes, but the new deal takes the EPL head and shoulders above all the others. Top 20 richest teams all likely to be in England.

Ah, so it's not your theory.:D

Scary stuff though.

3 hours ago, Ta Ta said:

I think there still is a view that Leicester can't win it because they are Leicester. If it was Chelsea, Man United or Liverpool (actually, maybe not Liverpool), there would be a lot more belief in them. Leicester can't finish lower than second now.

Great performance today though and puts the pressure back on Spurs. You would assume Spurs will beat West Brom tomorrow and then it is Chelsea v Spurs and Man United v Leicester next weekend. 

Totally agree about it being different because its 'only' Leicester. But they do have quite a tricky last three games.

15 minutes ago, thplinth said:

Deary me. Apparently not the creationist of his own theory.

I see what you did there - very clever

Edited by Ally Bongo

2 hours ago, The White Ceelo said:

They might not need to win all 3 though!

They don't.  Five points from the three games (two wins or one win and two draws) is the maximum number points required if Spurs win their last four games. If Spurs drop points at Chelsea next week, it could be one win!

3 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

Looking at the names, yes, not so sure on form this season...

Exactly.

Man United, Everton and Chelsea are big names but not particularly great teams this year.

Spurs have Chelsea (who will be motivated against them), a good Southampton side, and away to a Newcastle team that are hitting some form and will be undoubtedly be needing points on the last day to avoid relegation.

Tbh, I'd rather have Leicester's fixtures.

57 minutes ago, Ta Ta said:

They don't.  Five points from the three games (two wins or one win and two draws) is the maximum number points required if Spurs win their last four games. If Spurs drop points at Chelsea next week, it could be one win!

Spurs still have a fixture before those as well (West Brom tonight). Drop any points and Leicester can win it against Man Utd. 

I didn't think Spurs would win their last 5 games and now that they have dropped points so early they will probably drop some more in the last 3 games. The players will be very deflated. I think Leicester could lose all of their last 3 games and still win the league.

Team with £50 million wage bill and who spent £30 million on transfers in the last 15 months wins foreign league, on the back of the goal scoring of a racist, disrespectful scumbag and it's seen by folk as a victory for the little guy. Shows how ridiculous football down south has become. 

25 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Team with £50 million wage bill and who spent £30 million on transfers in the last 15 months wins foreign league, on the back of the goal scoring of a racist, disrespectful scumbag and it's seen by folk as a victory for the little guy. Shows how ridiculous football down south has become. 

Team that nobody expected to be anywhere near winning the league has performed well and given a bit of excitment from the normal "big 4" 

On 24 April 2016 at 9:40 PM, fringo said:

Ah, so it's not your theory.:D

Scary stuff though.

I said it months ago.  There is so much money sloshing around in England that the real world difference between the team with £500m and the team with "only" £100m is pretty small.  

Contrast with Scotland where Celtic have £15m (or whatever) to spend and the rest are playing around with free transfers.