Leicester - What A Team This Year - Page 12 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Leicester - What A Team This Year

14 minutes ago, adamntg said:

I said it months ago.  There is so much money sloshing around in England that the real world difference between the team with £500m and the team with "only" £100m is pretty small.  

Contrast with Scotland where Celtic have £15m (or whatever) to spend and the rest are playing around with free transfers. 

This.

People who try to compare Leicester with say, Aberdeen, are talking bollox.

The real time difference between Leicester and Manchester City or Chelsea is much smaller than that between Aberdeen or Hearts and Celtic. 

• Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Obviously money plays a huge part but end of the day its a team that were widely tipped for relegation / to struggle with a manager in charge who a lot of people did not rate that are going to win the league.

The only way that this can be topped now would be a small team to come up and win the league at first attempt I reckon.

There is a much bigger difference down south.  Leicester have been very fortunate that everyone else has Hibsed or Donsed it.

That same squad next year will be lucky to make top half.  I'd actually be inclined to bet on them going down.

26 minutes ago, Debian said:

There is a much bigger difference down south.

That's just factually incorrect. Leicester have around 25% of the budget wage of Man City, while Aberdeen have around 13% of the wage budget Celtic do. 

If Leicester win it it will be an extraordinary achievement far beyond Aberdeen winning (not even a two horse race but) a one horse race this last 4 years. When Ranieri (spelling?) was appointed I recall thinking WTF is all that about what a weird appointment but whoever was responsible is clearly a fricking genius. Bit harsh extending  the Vardy ban but luckily with Spurs bottling it they may not miss him. Ranieri winning at Stamford Bridge would complete the headfukk

2 hours ago, Parklife said:

Team with £50 million wage bill and who spent £30 million on transfers in the last 15 months wins foreign league, on the back of the goal scoring of a racist, disrespectful scumbag and it's seen by folk as a victory for the little guy. Shows how ridiculous football down south has become. 

coming across very bitter that one of the smaller clubs in the league managed to do what Aberdeen never and that was hold their bottle 

8 minutes ago, Blackpool78 said:

coming across very bitter that one of the smaller clubs in the league managed to do what Aberdeen never and that was hold their bottle 

Not bitter at all, i don't really care who wins it. I just like to highlight the facts, rather than perpetuate the mythical narrative that the media portrays. 

8 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Not bitter at all, i don't really care who wins it. I just like to highlight the facts, rather than perpetuate the mythical narrative that the media portrays. 

spending 30 million on players in 15 months when City spend 49 on one player, can you not see it yet? 30 million is nothing on players down south and yes its alot compared to Scotland but not much when you compare the spend by other teams in that league. Just out of interest and seeing how you like to highlight the facts how much did Aston Villa spend compared to Leicester

25 minutes ago, Blackpool78 said:

spending 30 million on players in 15 months when City spend 49 on one player, can you not see it yet? 30 million is nothing on players down south and yes its alot compared to Scotland but not much when you compare the spend by other teams in that league. Just out of interest and seeing how you like to highlight the facts how much did Aston Villa spend compared to Leicester

I can see Leicester have overcome a large financial deficit, yeah. However, there is certainly a principle of diminishing returns in effect at that level of football, which has made it possible for them to bridge the gap. 

Things have went for them this year and they've taken advantage of the traditionally bigger sides faltering. Credit to them, they've done really well. 

It's not the rags to riches story that the media wants to spin it as though. 

9 minutes ago, Parklife said:

I can see Leicester have overcome a large financial deficit, yeah. However, there is certainly a principle of diminishing returns in effect at that level of football, which has made it possible for them to bridge the gap. 

Things have went for them this year and they've taken advantage of the traditionally bigger sides faltering. Credit to them, they've done really well. 

I think it was 6 years ago they were in League 1 and now are going to be champions of England, rag to riches or not its a great thing. If they keep that squad and add to it who knows what they will do in champions league 

Team with £50 million wage bill and who spent £30 million on transfers in the last 15 months wins foreign league, on the back of the goal scoring of a racist, disrespectful scumbag and it's seen by folk as a victory for the little guy. Shows how ridiculous football down south has become. 

Said the bitter Arsenal supporter.:lol:

34 minutes ago, Blackpool78 said:

Aston villa spent something like £55 million and Look where that's got them 

18 minutes ago, Parklife said:

They have only lost 3 games this season. Bigger sides faltering or not I am not sure it would have made a massive difference.

I think people misunderstand what is being said about Leicester.  It IS a fantastic achievement, and it's a sporting one as well.  Having money has enabled them to compete, but there is so much money in England now that it's difficult to steamroller the league with a chequebook.  The vast amounts of money mean that it has become a genuine sporting contest where any of the teams involved, if they spend wisely, prepare well and apply themselves have a chance of success.

Any one of us could manage Celtic to the SPFL title.  That's clearly not the case in England.  The best team, not the richest team, are going to be the Champions and good on them.

The same effect could be achieved in Scotland if Celtic were as skint as the rest!

40 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Said the bitter Arsenal supporter.:lol:

Eh? I don't give a flying feck about Arsenal. No bitterness here, simply pointing out that the narrative in media is over-hyping their achievement (which is impressive enough without being over-hyped!)

32 minutes ago, theweestevie said:

They have only lost 3 games this season. Bigger sides faltering or not I am not sure it would have made a massive difference.

Yup, as i said, they've done excellently. However, they've also benefited from bigger sides faltering. Even allowing fro Leicester winning all their remaining games and ending with 85 points, that'd only have been enough to win the title 3 times since the 1999-2000 season.

They have also been fortunate with things like injuries and suspensions, if Mahrez, Kante, Vardy or Drinkwater had been missing for extended periods, they'd suffered. 

Eh? I don't give a flying feck about Arsenal. No bitterness here, simply pointing out that the narrative in media is over-hyping their achievement (which is impressive enough without being over-hyped!)

Sorry, must have got you mixed up with somebody else.

the way its going down south it's like letting everyone in a 100m use as much drugs as they want.... what I've not seen mentioned is that Leicester have the backing of a billionaire sugardaddy, they are just the new chelsea et al.... though this season with that squad..amazing...

12 hours ago, Rossy said:

This.

People who try to compare Leicester with say, Aberdeen, are talking bollox.

The real time difference between Leicester and Manchester City or Chelsea is much smaller than that between Aberdeen or Hearts and Celtic. 

Utter nonsense.

If Aberdeen won (win) it would be a surprise but not exceptional. 

Leicester winning is like Ross county winning.