Leicester - What A Team This Year - Page 13 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Leicester - What A Team This Year

Ignoring wage budgets, spending budgets and the like, which many people seem to want to focus on, the real surprise in the Leicester story is the actual players involved.

Schmeichel, Simpson, Huth, Morgan, Drinkwater, Vardy and Albrighton are the definition of journeymen footballers. They have dotted about the English leagues, for years in some cases, without any real success or honours.

Even the players who they have added - Kante, Fuchs, Okazaki and Mahrez - have until this season, achieved very little of note in their careers.

They have benefitted from consistency of team selections and also lack of injuries which has obviously helped confidence. However for a group of players who have mainly shown nothing in there careers before hand to win the title is quite remarkable.

Finally, seeing as football is played on a football pitch and not a spreadsheet, in relation to the Aberdeen comparisons, the fact is it would not be a major stretch to see a Hayes or Shinnie or Rooney fitting in/improving the Celtic side. We have had these debates on here and many feel there is a decent number of Dons players who are at least their Celtic counterparts match. The fact is that before this season not one player from the Leicester side would be regarded as an improvement for a Chelsea, Man City, Arsenal, Spurs etc. side. And even after this season it's unlikely that more than 3 players of the current side would be having the top clubs knocking down Leicesters door desperate to sign them. That's why the Leicester achievement is so remarkable.

• Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, wembley67lisbon said:

Utter nonsense.

If Aberdeen won (win) it would be a surprise but not exceptional. 

If Aberdeen won it it would be a miracle.  I am confident that nobody except Celtic or Rangers will win it again in my lifetime, and I plan to have another 30 years at least.

I mentioned somewhere earlier in this thread that Leicester were using enhancers to improve their performance and I have seen nothing in recent times to dispute that. I hope they enjoy their title party but I also look forward to the expose in about 30 years time.

8 hours ago, adamntg said:

If Aberdeen won it it would be a miracle.  I am confident that nobody except Celtic or Rangers will win it again in my lifetime, and I plan to have another 30 years at least.

A miracle? Gee us peace. 

I read a decent article about the parallels between Leicester and Nottingham Forest in the Guardian and then read the link to a longer article about that team.  Makes cracking reading: 

http://www.theguardian.com/football/the-agony-and-the-ecstasy/2016/apr/28/leicester-premier-league-nottingham-forest-1978-parallels

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/oct/10/brian-clough-miracle-nottingham-forest-european-champions-film-jose-mourinho

Anyone seen the I Believe In Miracles film about Forest? Sounds really good...

...to put the story into perspective, perhaps the best place to start is to imagine Huddersfield Town, 13th in the Championship last season, winning promotion next May, then the Premier League at the first attempt, back-to-back Champions Leagues, a couple of Capital One Cups and creating a record for going unbeaten in the top division – 42 matches in Forest’s case – that would last a quarter of a century.

1 hour ago, neilser said:

I read a decent article about the parallels between Leicester and Nottingham Forest in the Guardian and then read the link to a longer article about that team.  Makes cracking reading: 

http://www.theguardian.com/football/the-agony-and-the-ecstasy/2016/apr/28/leicester-premier-league-nottingham-forest-1978-parallels

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/oct/10/brian-clough-miracle-nottingham-forest-european-champions-film-jose-mourinho

The more i read about Clough, the more i wish that i had been old enough to see his management career at it's peak. He had some truly incredible achievements and was a fascinatingly complex character. 

On 27/04/2016 at 6:28 PM, Mox said:

I mentioned somewhere earlier in this thread that Leicester were using enhancers to improve their performance and I have seen nothing in recent times to dispute that. I hope they enjoy their title party but I also look forward to the expose in about 30 years time.

Yeah they started working with a certain clinic i mentioned earlier. Then i read folk saying their two central midfielders run all day. then you look at advanced statistics and see some correlation betweentotal distance run and results.

Liverpool recruited a nice doctor for next season, might put a wee bet on them.

2 hours ago, neilser said:

Bold Shankly as always. One of my favourite personalities ever.

" Forest began their campaign with a 3-1 win at Goodison Park and former Liverpool manager Bill Shankly famously visited their changing room after the match to tell them that they could go on to win the title "

3 hours ago, Parklife said:

The more i read about Clough, the more i wish that i had been old enough to see his management career at it's peak. He had some truly incredible achievements and was a fascinatingly complex character. 

Not sure if you've read The Damned United (or seen the film adaptation) - it covers Clough's 44 days at Leeds Utd  and either is well worth looking for. The guy was genuinely one of a kind.

5 hours ago, neilser said:

I believe in miricales is a great documentary film and it says a lot that so many of the players bought into what they were doing.  Trevor Francis signed for £1million and spend first few weeks on the bench and make tea for the other players.

also good bit about taking the club washing machine to ensure player signed for forest 

12 hours ago, neilser said:

Not sure if you've read The Damned United (or seen the film adaptation) - it covers Clough's 44 days at Leeds Utd  and either is well worth looking for. The guy was genuinely one of a kind.

Yeah, although obviously it's not entirely factual, despite being based around true events. 

"Provided you don't kiss me - My 20 years with Brian Clough" by Duncan Hamilton is the best football book I've ever read. Highly recommend it if you've never read it. 

44 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Yeah, although obviously it's not entirely factual, despite being based around true events. 

"Provided you don't kiss me - My 20 years with Brian Clough" by Duncan Hamilton is the best football book I've ever read. Highly recommend it if you've never read it. 

Cheers for that,  been needing something new. Ill give this a go. 

16 minutes ago, jock strap said:

Will have to wait another week unless Spurs get beat from Chelsea.

1-1 today at Old Trafford

Decent result for Leicester. The pressure is all on Spurs now. Lets see if they can handle it. I really can't see Spurs winning all 3 games.

Leicester will win it tomorrow night I reckon. Game has a high scoring draw written all over it or a chelsea win.

Ranieri (spelling?) is great. He really has coaxed and teased them to it with clever psychology. He has been lucky with Man City and Man Utd and Chelsea all having an off year but that is fate. Where was Arsene? This was the year he was waiting for and he has finished after Spurs and Leicester. Brutal for him. Just goes to show how much the media can influence people, "the tinker man". Not hearing too much of that tedious shite anymore.

Is there a more detestable F***** than Fellani in football right now? Cannot stand him. Has continually done this throughout his career in England and surely deserves a massive ban. So apt he plays for that lot aswell