Leicester - What A Team This Year - Page 16 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Leicester - What A Team This Year

• Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, DaveyDenoon said:

All the credit is due to this footballing visionary. Did all the groundwork and laid out the vision. Ranieri just continued with it and followed it through....

I did notice that Leicester won the League tonight without playing a striker.

Wonder where they got that idea from?

Well played Leicester, nice to see a new champion.

Some of the hyperbole being spouted on Sky though. Heard Jamie Carragher coming out with stuff like "greatest achievement in the history of the sport", "Ranieri will be remembered in 100 years"

:wtf:

6 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Well played Leicester, nice to see a new champion.

Some of the hyperbole being spouted on Sky though. Heard Jamie Carragher coming out with stuff like "greatest achievement in the history of the sport", "Ranieri will be remembered in 100 years"

:wtf:

I'm far from a fan of the EPL but Leicester have held my attention from start to finish. Carragher didn't say that, he said it was the biggest achievement in their game..................meaning english football. Its hard to argue with that

2 hours ago, dan cake said:

greatest sporting achievement ever!

shame many on here cant enjoy it 

there will be some who are too stubborn to admit they have watched the Leicester story unfold, its been a massive breath of fresh air and its what football needed. The story doesn't end here, they now go straight into the CL group stages. Its an incredible story!!!

I'm not sure whether its the greatest sporting achievement ever but its up there in terms of english football.

Wonderful achievement and shows that the power of the team can still triumph. 

It's not even on the same level as what Clough did at Nottingham Forest though. Although the Sky Sports fanboys who think football began in 1992 will disagree. 

4 minutes ago, Parklife said:

It's not even on the same level as what Clough did at Nottingham Forest though. Although the Sky Sports fanboys who think football began in 1992 will disagree. 

Indeed taking over forest when they were 13th in the second division to English champions two year later and then back to back European cups in the following two years.

Setting aside the money involved in the Premiership, and the fact that Leicester aren't exactly a 'poor' club......as a football fan you'd have to have a heart of stone not to enjoy seeing Leicester fans celebrating this moment.

Many of them will have supported the club for decades with what ? 2 League cups to show for it ? To win the Premiership is a dream beyond belief and that's the kind of moment that you devote your life to a football club hoping for.

Most of us will never, ever see our clubs achieve what Leicester did this season.

I'm still smiling when I see Leicester fans celebrating in complete disbelief, because deep-down as football fans, we all long for that feeling.

Agree it was great watching their supporters celebrating in that boozer. One lad, when interviewed, said watching them win the league cup 16 years ago was the best day of his life and now they are Champions. I think most of them will be in a daze all summer. 

I hope they hang onto their best players, and indeed manager. I keep hearing how humble guys like Vardy are, that it's a real 'rags to riches' story. It's not of course but if anyone believes one iota of that, they won't have a better time to prove it I suppose. 

2 hours ago, Parklife said:

I think that when discussing the achievements of Brian Clough we should never underestimate the contribution that Peter Taylor made to that level of success. They were a fantastic management team.

Was at the game last night, absolutely brutal from Spurs, how they finished up with 10 men on the pitch I'll never know, nine bookings and there will no doubt be a couple getting retrospective bans today.  If Hazard had started God knows what would have happened.

Kudos to Leicester, the best team over the season always wins the league.  Like most people, I've been waiting for them to blow up since Christmas and they just kept going.

Great to see Chelsea winning the league two seasons in a row. 

3 hours ago, Parklife said:

Funny you should say that. When they said on Sky last night that Leicester were the first new champions in 38 years, I actually commented to my mate, that it was one of the few if not the first time I've heard Sky acknowledge that football existed before the Premiership.

8 minutes ago, Marky said:

Funny you should say that. When they said on Sky last night that Leicester were the first new champions in 38 years, I actually commented to my mate, that it was one of the few if not the first time I've heard Sky acknowledge that football existed before the Premiership.

Whilst I do agree with you and Parklife's sentiments, this is a bit of an exaggeration.  All of their soccer Saturday pundits played before the EPL for a start. 

I think we can all agree that they (Sky) are khunts though :)

5 minutes ago, Marky said:

It's mad innit. 77-78 was the first season I really followed football, that's a looooong time!

3 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

I'm far from a fan of the EPL but Leicester have held my attention from start to finish. Carragher didn't say that, he said it was the biggest achievement in their game..................meaning english football. Its hard to argue with that

Fair doos it was late and I was zonked. I would still tend to agree that Clough winning it with 2 different provincial clubs was a greater achievement.

I totally second the comments of those enjoying seeing the long suffering Leicester fans basking in the moment. Having been fortunate enough to have witnessed a couple of unexpected cup triumphs I kind of know the feeling, but to pull off a title win against the odds is off the scale...