Aberdeen V Celtic - Page 16 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Aberdeen V Celtic

I loved it....took a week off work to travel to Gothenburg by train and back (took 2 days there and 2 days back)...but it was well worth it to see my team win a European trophy against probably the greatest club that has ever played football.

A long way short of the best Real Madrid team in history to be fair.

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny, I was sure the foul was a good few yards further back from where the free kick was taken. :moon:

That's your problem with that goal?

:lol:

I watched it in Spain, and there was no volume, so I don't even celebrate at first.

Was funny though!

Just to dip into the "discussion" between rossy and Iain, I would say posting on here has amplified my dislike for Aberdeen.

Nothing personal, but they're slightly over represented, so they (Aberdeen fans) make a lot of noise.

That's your problem with that goal?

:lol:

I watched it in Spain, and there was no volume, so I don't even celebrate at first.

Was funny though!

Just to dip into the "discussion" between rossy and Iain, I would say posting on here has amplified my dislike for Aberdeen.

Nothing personal, but they're slightly over represented, so they (Aberdeen fans) make a lot of noise.

I like to go against popular opinion now and again. :cheers3:

Like you were even born then. I'm only paraphrasing what your manager said at the time.

TartanJon is right, Bayern were a much better team.

I'm only exposing how idiotic your comment was. My age isn't relevant. :ok:

Not sure about that. This sort of pointless lunacy, is a daily occurrence, in here. Certainly, for some anyway.

Aberdeen DID win at the weekend eh? :)

They did indeed, although after going 2 up so quickly I thought they'd gub Saints.

I even stopped listening to the radio.

Was ever so slightly shocked to see it ended 4-3. Must have been a nail biting final couple of minutes and well worth the admission.

After Celtics thrilling 2-0 win against Ek_celt and his mates there has to be hope for the Dons fans now.

Having said that though, I think Rossy meant that Real Madrid as a club are the best ever to play the game rather than that particular team at the time.

That's the way I read it too. Admittedly he was in full rant mode so it was difficult to get to the actual meaning through the red mist. :lol:

When I picture Rossy I just picture a red version of that mental Kilmarnock fan who pops up on Facebook after all their home games shouting and balling.

It's a curse having to putting every fücking idiot and braindead numbskull in their place. Usually I don't bother, but Saturday night I was bored.

However, I look upon it as my duty to mankind. :ok:

You can all thank me later.

I'm only exposing how idiotic your comment was. My age isn't relevant. :ok:

Your age is irrelevant if you are able to put the game into a historical context and not believe the mythology. I'm not saying that Aberdeen were strong favourites going into that game but they were far from underdogs. Alex Ferguson's team talk was to the effect that they were not playing Real Madrid the club but the current team at that time.

Bayern Munich had a much stronger team and that result over two games was far more impressive than the final IMO.

None of that is to decry Aberdeen's achievement which was remarkable and is unlikely to be repeated but to try and make it sound like they beat the ghosts of di Stefano, Puskas and Gento and the embryos of Zidane and the two Ronaldos is stretching it.

That said, I doubt that many would deny Inter Milan are one of the major European clubs and the Inter side that Celtic beat in 1967 was full of major players and had probably been the best team in Europe over the previous few seasons which makes it all the more remarkable. It's still no reason to bang on about it at every opportunity.

Your age is irrelevant if you are able to put the game into a historical context and not believe the mythology. I'm not saying that Aberdeen were strong favourites going into that game but they were far from underdogs. Alex Ferguson's team talk was to the effect that they were not playing Real Madrid the club but the current team at that time.

Bayern Munich had a much stronger team and that result over two games was far more impressive than the final IMO.

None of that is to decry Aberdeen's achievement which was remarkable and is unlikely to be repeated but to try and make it sound like they beat the ghosts of di Stefano, Puskas and Gento and the embryos of Zidane and the two Ronaldos is stretching it.

That said, I doubt that many would deny Inter Milan are one of the major European clubs and the Inter side that Celtic beat in 1967 was full of major players and had probably been the best team in Europe over the previous few seasons which makes it all the more remarkable. It's still no reason to bang on about it at every opportunity.

I think you saying it wasn't the best Real Madrid team is absolutely fair. However, looking at the last 8 of that competition, it included not only Real Madrid and (a very strong) Bayern Munich, but also Barcelona, PSG and Inter Milan. The last 16 also included Spurs, Galatasaray, Red Star and Lech Poznan (admittedly there were some less well knowns). My point is that it wasn't the Mickey Mouse competition people like to suggest (i don't necessarily think that is what you are saying though). Anyway, why we talking about this again (not that I need any excuse)?!

I was very young, but I still vividly remember, season after season, watching and supporting every Scottish club in Europe (including the Old Firm). I think we know why our game got so poor, but why do we appear to dislike each other so much more than we did previously? The rich getting richer is certainly one theory.....

I think you saying it wasn't the best Real Madrid team is absolutely fair. However, looking at the last 8 of that competition, it included not only Real Madrid and (a very strong) Bayern Munich, but also Barcelona, PSG and Inter Milan. The last 16 also included Spurs, Galatasaray, Red Star and Lech Poznan (admittedly there were some less well knowns). My point is that it wasn't the Mickey Mouse competition people like to suggest (i don't necessarily think that is what you are saying though). Anyway, why we talking about this again (not that I need any excuse)?!

Let's not forget those giants of European football Waterschei who Aberdeen humped in the semis.

I was very young, but I still vividly remember, season after season, watching and supporting every Scottish club in Europe (including the Old Firm). I think we know why our game got so poor, but why do we appear to dislike each other so much more than we did previously? The rich getting richer is certainly one theory.....

As I've said a few times, I can remember standing next to Aberdeen fans at Two Cup Finals at Hampden. No bother at all.

Unthinkable now.

I think I'm starting to agree with aaid. They are all tainted titles, without Rangers' involvement.

That's what I'm getting, reading between the lines?

Rangers must have been involved - they existed then, right?! I'm assuming they just didn't make into Europe, unlike Waterschei, who did.......make it into Europe.........unlike Rangers, who didn't. :D

Rangers must have been involved - they existed then, right?! I'm assuming they just didn't make into Europe, unlike Waterschei, who did.......make it into Europe.........unlike Rangers, who didn't. :D

Did they not get eliminated from that tournament in the previous season's Scottish Cup Final?

Although maybe, seeing as I wasn't born then, I'm not allowed to comment?