Turkey - Page 2 - General Travel - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Turkey

1ANDYP

My concerns are more to do with the proximity of Turkey to Syria and the are controlled by ISIS.

With the Saudis getting in on the party now as well, can't see why you would want to holiday so close.  Would be very easy for terrorists to target a Turkish resort.

Spent the evening in Sabiha Gocken Airport on the way to Tbilisi, the minginest airport I've ever had the misfortune to have spent any time in, a more ignorant and obnoxious crowd you will never meet. The greasiest, sweatiest bastards in the world.

They didn't do themselves any favours in my view with the fact they doused my chicken nuggets in curry powder the cûnts

Maybe I just had a bad experience with our Eurasian friends

Edited by DoonTheSlope

41 minutes ago, DoonTheSlope said:

Spent the evening in Sabiha Gocken Airport on the way to Tbilisi, the minginest airport I've ever had the misfortune to have spent any time in, a more ignorant and obnoxious crowd you will never meet. The greasiest, sweatiest bastards in the world.

They didn't do themselves any favours in my view with the fact they doused my chicken nuggets in curry powder the cûnts

Maybe I just had a bad experience with our Eurasian friends

It's an awful airport. Ataturk is a much better airport.

57 minutes ago, giblet said:

My concerns are more to do with the proximity of Turkey to Syria and the are controlled by ISIS.

With the Saudis getting in on the party now as well, can't see why you would want to holiday so close.  Would be very easy for terrorists to target a Turkish resort.

Do you realise quite how big Turkey is?

On 9 February 2016 at 8:16 AM, 1ANDYP said:

Went to icemeler last year and really enjoyed it with wife and 2 young girls. Was thinking of antalya this year and wondering if any of you have been to that region and what resort to choose. Any help apreciated.

I was in Icmeler about 6 years ago then Antalya 3 years ago.

Antalya basically has two main touristy areas, Konyalti beach and Lara beach. Lara beach side is where all the golf resorts are but we were at Konyalti beach so didn't actually see Lara. The beach at Konyalti is stoned and you have to cross a very busy dual carriage way to get to it from the hotels. Our hotel had a tunnel.

british tourists tend to head to Lara beach. I found this out to our cost when we discovered we were the only  British people in our hotel. There were loads of Arabs And Russians, both races equally as ignorant as each other.

Antalya old town is excellebt. Lots of wee alleys with bazaars, restaurants and bars, well worth a visit.

if I was going back to Turkey, I would pick Icmeler every time. 

• 2 weeks later...

Was in Istanbul on way to Georgia for a couple of days. Some of the folk were lovely, some of them were arseholes. Much like here really. The terrorist thing is a concern, but by not going to these places you let the barstewards win. Might think differently if I had kids though. 

• 5 weeks later...
On 15 February 2016 at 9:17 PM, Graham of Montrose said:

I was in Icmeler about 6 years ago then Antalya 3 years ago.

Antalya basically has two main touristy areas, Konyalti beach and Lara beach. Lara beach side is where all the golf resorts are but we were at Konyalti beach so didn't actually see Lara. The beach at Konyalti is stoned and you have to cross a very busy dual carriage way to get to it from the hotels. Our hotel had a tunnel.

british tourists tend to head to Lara beach. I found this out to our cost when we discovered we were the only  British people in our hotel. There were loads of Arabs And Russians, both races equally as ignorant as each other.

Antalya old town is excellebt. Lots of wee alleys with bazaars, restaurants and bars, well worth a visit.

if I was going back to Turkey, I would pick Icmeler every time. 

Went to icmeler last summer. Loved it. Going back in July. It's about as far away from Syria as Scotland is to Istanbul (give or take) so I'm not in the slightest bit worried.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'd be surprised if any of the tourist centres are much affected by this, if at all. I would be nervous if I were in Istanbul on the other hand, although I suspect some semblance of calm might be restored reasonably quickly. Difficult to imagine going for a stroll in Taksim Square or across the bridge at the moment though. It is a wonderful country but it really doesn't have its troubles to seek at the moment.

• 1 month later...