Turkey - General Travel - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Turkey

1ANDYP

Was in Dalyan last October staying at a relatives home.

All neighbours were Turkish and they were the friendliest of people.

At no point did I feel threatened or concerned when out and about.

Dalyan has both a comfortable holiday resort atmosphere and natural beauty.

Dunno about resorts but I went to watch Celtic in Istanbul in December and it was magnificent. There were lots of police around and I certainly felt safe and the locals were nice folk. As you said, nowhere is 100% safe, but Turkey doesn't strike me as more dangerous than any other major European country at the moment.

My concern about Turkey is that with its huge border with some really troubled areas, it would be much more likely to see an attack akin to the Tunisian one there. Been to Turkey 3 times and the people were very friendly, just wouldnt take my kids there just now.

My concern about Turkey is that with its huge border with some really troubled areas, it would be much more likely to see an attack akin to the Tunisian one there. Been to Turkey 3 times and the people were very friendly, just wouldnt take my kids there just now.

This is my thinking. 'Terror' works. It just does. The Tunisian beach attack would worry me regarding going to a 'resort' in Turkey.

Going to a tourist resort and saying the locals were all really friendly is a bit illusory. That is their job. Try going to places where they have zero vested interest in whether you like them. Then you see a side of Turkey that is very much different. Massive chips on their shoulder and hugely resentful. Probably the most racist (anti white) country I have visited. They are now fast tracked into the EU as a pay off for fukking us over during the refugee criss. So I will be voting for Brexit big time.

That is before yo get to their support for ISIS and their president being an utter fukking arsehole hell bent on starting WWIII. Boycott that shit hole for the good of humanity.

was in istanbul for 5 days last year on the way to georgia 

had a fantastic time

went to see fenerbahce and a turk in the bar spotted my scotland tattoo, insisted i had a drink with him

then spent half a hour tell me what a chunt graemae souness is 

couldnt really argue with that

went to the blue mosque where 4 months later 10 tourists would be blown up

could happen anywhere 

so in general great place, very nice people 

would like to think i'll be back at some point

3 minutes ago, dan cake said:

was in istanbul for 5 days last year on the way to georgia 

had a fantastic time

went to see fenerbahce and a turk in the bar spotted my scotland tattoo, insisted i had a drink with him

then spent half a hour telling me what a chunt graemae souness is 

couldnt really argue with that

went to the blue mosque where 4 months later 10 tourists would be blown up

could happen anywhere 

so in general great place, very nice people 

would like to think i'll be back at some point

On 10/02/2016 at 6:37 PM, thplinth said:

Going to a tourist resort and saying the locals were all really friendly is a bit illusory. That is their job. Try going to places where they have zero vested interest in whether you like them. Then you see a side of Turkey that is very much different. Massive chips on their shoulder and hugely resentful. Probably the most racist (anti white) country I have visited. They are now fast tracked into the EU as a pay off for fukking us over during the refugee criss. So I will be voting for Brexit big time.

That is before yo get to their support for ISIS and their president being an utter fukking arsehole hell bent on starting WWIII. Boycott that shit hole for the good of humanity.

i wasnt in a tourist resort and also in a few areas many dont go 

still found the turks very helpfully and pleasant

Edited by dan cake

I remember speaking to Turkish girl who married my friend in aberdeen -I think the general opinion was, that it was the dregs who emigrated outside Turkey, and moved to germany etc, which is why we might have bad opinion

Been to Turkey twice and folks were all very friendly, (last time 96) although the guys were very touchy feely over blondes 

Male turks were banned from the bars cos they were always fighting, but in general they were fighting with themselves, and not tourists 

Berlin - remember being there in 2001, and turks there were qunts, threatening to pul knifes on us just for wearing kilts, when we were waking along street