Italy V Scotland In Malta - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Italy V Scotland In Malta

OLAS

As I have said on Facebook it makes me laugh I remember all the crap flying about a couple of years ago about playing shit teams quatar Nigeria etc and how that cost us ranking points for pot two or something so now we have 2 friendlies against 2 top teams and still folk moan honestly can't see any negatives about these two games... My only gripe and it a very selfish one is I wished they had announced these before Czech and Denmark games as I've booked up for these so can't make France or Italy games but apart from that ??? sfa

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is someone now suggesting that anyone who buys a home season ticket gets priority over anyone with away points for when they fancy going an away game.....which would no doubt be England at Wembley.

Excellent idea.

Some of us don't go to away "pish up" friendlies, good offer.

Bit left field this one but makes sense when you think about it......not being prepared properly in Georgia cost us big time so fair play to strachan for giving us best preparation he can....as for folk that moan about away points they can do one this is the whole nations team not a hobby horse for self absorbed arse holes.

Ps just for the record I won't make the italy game and will drop off 10 points and frankly couldn't care less if it means we have a better chance to qualify ??

My only fear is Strachan could go a bit Vogts-ish on this one.... his attitude was by playing the best it helped you toughen up for when you played the weaker nations (didn't work for Vogts granted!) and a couple of hammerings over the next few games could see moral rock bottom come September.... but flip side, good performance v Italy and/or France could be the confidence boost we need)

I don't really think there is a downside to team morale in these two games as long as we don't end up with a couple of 5/6-0 gubbings. In any normal game we would probably be expected to lose to both France & Italy therefore if we do, well its what was expected. If we give them both a good game then as you say, possibly a confidence boost.

I also think the morale of the players themselves will be more based around how they are performing for their club sides come September rather than what happens in May and June.

I don't really think there is a downside to team morale in these two games as long as we don't end up with a couple of 5/6-0 gubbings. In any normal game we would probably be expected to lose to both France & Italy therefore if we do, well its what was expected. If we give them both a good game then as you say, possibly a confidence boost.

I also think the morale of the players themselves will be more based around how they are performing for their club sides come September rather than what happens in May and June.

I do not think Italy will hammer us, as its not in their nature (they will go 2-0 up and then just shut up shop) and Will probably treat the game no more than just a kick about (seem to recall they drew 1-1 with Luxembourg few weeks before the last WC) as they will be saving themselves for the Euros.

France on the other hand is where I think we will get a right spanking off them (5/6-0).

I think the season is only 2 weeks old when we play Malta, so if they are still hurting over two big defeats, then maybe it will have an effect.

As said, I suspect a plucky performance v Italy (but in reality Italy will not even get out of neutral gear!).... and a poor performance v France in Metz.

Would that cause any long term damage? Probably not, but up to Strachan to get the players to move on before we return to Malta a couple of months later.

:-)):-))

Anyone actually planning on going to either/both?

Managed to book up last night.

Safe to say I'm in the mutt hoose!

Currently 51/49 on booking the Malta trip (Metz already done)

Can get out Friday and back Monday, with no holidays used (get the Monday as a Bank holiday and leave after work on the Friday) ............. head says dinnay be so stupid but heart says, it'll be fun!

Currently 51/49 on booking the Malta trip (Metz already done)

Can get out Friday and back Monday, with no holidays used (get the Monday as a Bank holiday and leave after work on the Friday) ............. head says dinnay be so stupid but heart says, it'll be fun!

Im the same last flight gla-dublin thurs night, Fri Dub to malta via paris. Back mon via stanstead.

It'll be fun... go on...

:-)):-))

Anyone actually planning on going to either/both?

Managed to book up last night.

Safe to say I'm in the mutt hoose!

I'll be doing both, just trying to see if I can price Malta reasonably as I'll probably just do an in and out job for one of them and rough it up on an airport floor or something

Good preparation for the conditions, which await us in September? Yes.

But we don't need to actually play in Malta in order to prepare for a match in Malta; anywhere around the Med would be comparable, surely.

Not sure about the choice of opposition either. Glamorous yes, but in the best interests of our team and our next campaign? I'm not so sure.

Good preparation for the conditions, which await us in September? Yes.

But we don't need to actually play in Malta in order to prepare for a match in Malta; anywhere around the Med would be comparable, surely.

Not sure about the choice of opposition either. Glamorous yes, but in the best interests of our team and our next campaign? I'm not so sure.

I think the pitch at Ta Qali is a bit of a tattie field though Rich. It would be good to get experience of that.

On 10 February 2016 at 5:36 PM, aaid said:

I think the pitch at Ta Qali is a bit of a tattie field though Rich. It would be good to get experience of that.

Aye but it could go the other way aaid and be a real confidence destroyer, as the tattie field will feck up our silky passing game and play right into the hands of Italy's scrappy kick a rush style!

:lol: