Italy V Scotland In Malta - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Italy V Scotland In Malta

OLAS

Bollocks tae that - if the game was in Italy fair enough - not going to Malta for a friendly when I'm back there in September. What the fook is wrong with playing them in Italy ffs.

Thinking the same even if it had been in Switzerland as suggested I would have went but Metz only fur me.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This game, and the France game to a lesser extent, has certainly stirred up the raspers on the TAMB FB page. The main gist of their "arguments" seems to be

1. Italy game/both games are pointless. Obviously all these footballing experts have got far better understanding of the requirements of the national team than Gordon Strachan does.

and more importantly

2. Its going to affect their points totals if they can't make these games. So complete self-interest, no real thought on whats in the best interests of the team. Never has it been more evident that some people solely attend Scotland games as some sort of status symbol rather than wanting whats best for the team.

If Strachan thinks having a week away with the team, nice climate, get some good time together, playing two games v very decent opposition is whats best then why would anyone question that? People moan enough when we don't play friendlies, people moan when we play sh!t opposition in friendlies, people now moan when we play friendlies which don't suit their holidays/bank balance/points totals. The SFA can't win with many.

Aye they won 0, drew 2, lost 8.

A few of the results may have been close but we should be beating them. They also lost to Gibraltar in a friendly in 2014

In their 4 games against Italy and Croatia they lost 1-0 three times and 2-0 once. For a team like Scotland, who struggle to score goals, we could have a couple of tough games against them.

This game, and the France game to a lesser extent, has certainly stirred up the raspers on the TAMB FB page. The main gist of their "arguments" seems to be

1. Italy game/both games are pointless. Obviously all these footballing experts have got far better understanding of the requirements of the national team than Gordon Strachan does.

and more importantly

2. Its going to affect their points totals if they can't make these games. So complete self-interest, no real thought on whats in the best interests of the team. Never has it been more evident that some people solely attend Scotland games as some sort of status symbol rather than wanting whats best for the team.

If Strachan thinks having a week away with the team, nice climate, get some good time together, playing two games v very decent opposition is whats best then why would anyone question that? People moan enough when we don't play friendlies, people moan when we play sh!t opposition in friendlies, people now moan when we play friendlies which don't suit their holidays/bank balance/points totals. The SFA can't win with many.

Spot on ??

Because no-one, Strachan included, should be above question. Strachan has made some good decisions as Scotland boss but he has also made some bad ones.

We as fans should scrutinise his decisions.

Its a fans right to debate the managers decisions. Its his employers task to question whether he has made the right decisions. As he probably works quite closely with his employers then I would imagine they are all in agreement with the decision on the games that have been organised.

The SFA and Strachan make decisions based on what they think are in the best interests of the team, not what is in the best interests of fans holiday balances and away points totals. Thankfully. Plenty of fans seem to think it should be the other way round.

Because no-one, Strachan included, should be above question. Strachan has made some good decisions as Scotland boss but he has also made some bad ones.

If there was actually anyone making a sensible footballing argument for not playing the games then I would listen to them. However as DBTA has said any objections seem to mainly be holiday related.

and more importantly

Spot on.

I'm on 7pts and have other commitments this year so doubt I'll make any friendlies.

I'd rather move down the points ladder if this means we're better prepared for world cup qualifiers.

and more importantly

Agree, far too many people forget that the SFA arranges games that suit the team and the manager.

So many bitter people on Facebook complaining because they can't make it and will drop points. No other reason.

These games are exactly the sort of thing we should have tried to do prior to Georgia though the Ireland game probably prevented that.

The TAMB Facebook page is so bad it makes here look good.

There is someone now suggesting that anyone who buys a home season ticket gets priority over anyone with away points for when they fancy going an away game.....which would no doubt be England at Wembley.

Agree, far too many people forget that the SFA arranges games that suit the team and the manager.

So many bitter people on Facebook complaining because they can't make it and will drop points. No other reason.

These games are exactly the sort of thing we should have tried to do prior to Georgia though the Ireland game probably prevented that.

I wasn't in Georgia but one of the factors that looked to lead to our poor performance was the heat. If playing a game in Malta at end of June improves our chances of beating Malta in a similar climate/weather conditions when we play in September then the Italy game has served its purpose.

and more importantly

yep mate totally agree :ok:

Think it said something along the lines of concluding a summer tour so I take that as no 3rd game

"Summer tour". Aye very good. Our summer tour should've been Euro 2016. The SFA can word it any way they like, but it's complete baws ?

I think its good that we are trying our luck against two top teams in friendlies.

Its good to see Strachan stepping outside of his comfort zone us up until now all his friendlies (England aside) have been against low-key and "good" sides, but none you would consider a top nation.

My only fear is Strachan could go a bit Vogts-ish on this one.... his attitude was by playing the best it helped you toughen up for when you played the weaker nations (didn't work for Vogts granted!) and a couple of hammerings over the next few games could see moral rock bottom come September.... but flip side, good performance v Italy and/or France could be the confidence boost we need)

Personally the Italy game was always out for me (got another trip booked with the family for the week before) and if it had been a option, two trips to Malta within 3 months of each other would have me out for this one...... yet probably a good thing for the team all round as I would expect the conditions in September to be pretty similar to that in May/June, so will give us something of a upper hand (folk moaned about Skopje years ago that we were not ready for playing in conditions like that) so I think its a good thing.