Chinese Football - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Chinese Football

I see a Chinese club has offered £38M for Payet of West Ham (and offering him something like £130K a week after tax). This is on the back of Jiangsu Suning paying £38M for Teixeria and £25M for Ramires and Guangzhou forking out £31M for Jackson Martinez plus a few other double digit million pound fees (Gervinho, Gyan, Ba, Paulinho). Their league has obviously been on the go for a wee while but the spending seems to have just exploded in the last couple of weeks. Is it sustainable? How long till wee see the Super League live on Sky Sports?!

I see a Chinese club has offered £38M for Payet of West Ham (and offering him something like £130K a week after tax). This is on the back of Jiangsu Suning paying £38M for Teixeria and £25M for Ramires and Guangzhou forking out £31M for Jackson Martinez plus a few other double digit million pound fees (Gervinho, Gyan, Ba, Paulinho). Their league has obviously been on the go for a wee while but the spending seems to have just exploded in the last couple of weeks. Is it sustainable? How long till wee see the Super League live on Sky Sports?!

Apart from Ramires & Gervinho I don't know who the other players are.If Gervinho is the former Arsenal boy then they fecked.

Apart from Ramires & Gervinho I don't know who the other players are.If Gervinho is the former Arsenal boy then they fecked.

Aye it's him. Apparently he's being paid something like £150K a week. Gyan played for (I think) Sunderland and is rumoured to be on £250K a week.

I saw Sky going on about that.

I'd literally never heard of this player prior to this story.

Heathens!

Quality, exciting player. Not £38M worth of quality though.

You wonder if you're going to attract a certain type of player/person?

Obviously for top Asian and Australian (which I suppose in football terms is Asia) players it's a great move.

Does it look a bit more mercenary if European, South American or African players go there?

You wonder if you're going to attract a certain type of player/person?

Obviously for top Asian and Australian (which I suppose in football terms is Asia) players it's a great move.

Does it look a bit more mercenary if European, South American or African players go there?

Yep. It's like all the Brazillians that flooded the Russian league a few years back.

Its funny seeing/reading people complain that players are only going to China for the money, I can definitely see their point though, I bet loads of kids grew up on the streets of Dakar, Adelaide, Rio etc dreaming of playing for Sunderland and Swansea. Its what dreams are made of.

Its funny seeing/reading people complain that players are only going to China for the money, I can definitely see their point though, I bet loads of kids grew up on the streets of Dakar, Adelaide, Rio etc dreaming of playing for Sunderland and Swansea. Its what dreams are made of.

Fair point.

:lol:

I still remember when Namibian superstar* Eliphas Shivute signed for Motherwell, he claimed to have grown up watching Alex Mcleish.

An image was painted of Eliphas and his family huddled round a black and white portable in a mud hut in Namibia watching Aberdeen games.

:lol:

*it was also claimed he was the 2nd most famous sportsman in Namibia after Frankie Frediricks.