Costa Rica/tanzania-Zanzibar - General Travel - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Costa Rica/tanzania-Zanzibar

Redz

Been to Tanzania (October 2013). Fantastic! I've been to South Africa, Morocco and Egypt too but nothing comes close to Tanzania - proper Africa I'd call it ??

We spent two weeks there. The first 8 days was spent on and around Kilimanjaro. Days 1 and 2 we visited Moshi and Arusha and did a wee acclimatisation hike. After that we spent 6 days climbing Kili. The first 4 days of the hike were extremely enjoyable but the night at Kibo Huts and up to the summit were brutal - the altitude was a killer, never felt anything like it. Still got to the summit though but that last wee bit wasn't at all enjoyable.

After that we did two safaris. The first one was at Manyara Lake and the second one, Ngorongoro Crater was unbelievable!

The Tanzanians themselves were some of the friendliest people I've ever met. They didn't have much, but the warm welcome you got from them, particularly the kids, was brilliant!

Cheap as well as you'd imagine, and the main cities are well equipped with good supplies and shops however to experience Tanzania for real get off the beaten track to the wee towns and villages ??

Spent a lot of time in Tanzania, wife worked there for a wee while, I have been 3 times, and also seen Kenya, Uganda and all countries south.

I agree with all mc teeko,says and also about the people they are great and have a pride about them, they were never colonised, ( well for a wee while by the Germans) then they were left alone because there was nowt to exploit.

the swahili word for Hello is JAMBO...... so dont go if u are a Hibee!!!

I love it I have traveled all over, from sailing over Lake Victoria from Uganda to hitching a lift to the border with Malawi.....also a 3 day train journey from Mwanza to Dar, a lifetime high, where the shops come to meet you at all the stops...

Zanzibar is amazing, especially Zanzibar town... it is really Arabic, which catches you by surprise. excellent street food...

there is aan island there with huge tortoises, some well over 100 years old, there was one stoating about ith a huge crack in his shell, aa tree fell on it during the war...... he was still stoating around last time i was there

I will post more if you decide to go....

highly recommend Tanzania

Never been to Costa Rica.....

Thanks McTeeko & Stocky, some great info, cheers!

I've visited quite a bit of coastal Africa, but never Tanzania/Zanzibar.

This would be my favoured destination (I think), however my wife fancies Costa Rica a wee bit more. (Again. I think)

Our son is 16 and been on a couple of safaris/trips to Africa already - Our daughter is 4 (Don't ask!), would Tanzania/Zanzibar suit her in terms of food etc?

Appreciated......

Well send her to Costa Rica with the wee wan and you go to Tanzania... :ok:

dont know, food was very rice based,...

loadsa fresh stuff, loadsa fruit , there aint maccy dees, as you can imagine.

We ate fine and enjoyed everything, depends how fussy your 4 year old is.

I have' nt traveled with mine,

There were 'western shops with 'our' type of food ,I also remember a great pizza place in Mwanza and an outstanding Ice Cream Parlour in Dar.. there are a few people with cash, so western sstuff is available. although we enjoy eating the street/;ocal food , as i am sure you do. however travelling with a 4 year old is new to me. Guid Luck

loadsa Mosquitoes around as is malaria.. although i presume Costa Rica is similar

pedant ... Tanzania is a union of Tanganyika and Zanzibar hence Tan Zan nia....

dont know, food was very rice based,...

loadsa fresh stuff, loadsa fruit , there aint maccy dees, as you can imagine.

We ate fine and enjoyed everything, depends how fussy your 4 year old is.

I have' nt traveled with mine,

There were 'western shops with 'our' type of food ,I also remember a great pizza place in Mwanza and an outstanding Ice Cream Parlour in Dar.. there are a few people with cash, so western sstuff is available. although we enjoy eating the street/;ocal food , as i am sure you do. however travelling with a 4 year old is new to me. Guid Luck

loadsa Mosquitoes around as is malaria.. although i presume Costa Rica is similar

pedant ... Tanzania is a union of Tanganyika and Zanzibar hence Tan Zan nia....

Never knew that - my uncle keeps saying Tanganyika and didnt make the name link although i knew the union - he worked there for 6 years in the 60-70's

i was in Dar in 2014 with work and should have gone to Zanz - easy with hindsight

Funnily enough Redz both my kids are 16 and 4 too. The wee man (4) has already been to Brazil and South Africa and enjoyed both immensely! My 16 year old daughter personally thanked me at Christmas for 'taking her places' and this year she's booked a solo trip to Vancouver for 2 weeks with a view of laying foundations to a possible move there later on in the year. She'll be 17 by then but has travel experience through me dragging her all over the place. So don't worry about their ages, they'll adapt, learn and they'll appreciate it 100% when they're older ??

As I said earlier though Tanzania is nowhere near as Westernised, if at all (at least in the places I visited), and the food will be a lot different to what he's used to - but you can say the same for adults in that respect. If I was you I'd definitely go for it ??

Costa Rica sounds immense too by the way!

:lol::lol::lol: I've just put forward your suggestion.....She thinks it's a great idea!!!

Funnily enough Redz both my kids are 16 and 4 too.

Oh dear......You have my deepest sympathies :wink2:

Thanks guys, I'll give you a shout as/when we book...... :ok: