Gravitational Waves Detected - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Gravitational Waves Detected

Have they not just started building a new telescope in space to look for these? The folk who have spent millions on that new telescope are going to be a wee bit pissed aff that somebody else has beat them to it. Mind you, I think it hasn't been fully verified yet. That photo just looks like a rolled up garden hose.

11 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Have they not just started building a new telescope in space to look for these? The folk who have spent millions on that new telescope are going to be a wee bit pissed aff that somebody else has beat them to it. Mind you, I think it hasn't been fully verified yet. That photo just looks like a rolled up garden hose.

They've just sent up LISA Pathfinder, which is an experiment to prove the tech that they'll use on LISA, the Laser Interferometer Space Array. LISA is a gravitational wave detector, but it's on a different scale from LIGO where these measurements were made. 

The thing about gravitational waves is they are a completely different way of looking at the universe from anything we've had before. So we need to look at them as they'll tell a different story and allow us to measure events and discover things which would otherwise be unavailable. LISA is effectively a gravitational wave observatory of very high sensitivity, so where LIGO has detected the waves, LISA will be able to measure them. It's like the difference between a light sensor and a camera. 

17 hours ago, biffer said:

They've just sent up LISA Pathfinder, which is an experiment to prove the tech that they'll use on LISA, the Laser Interferometer Space Array. LISA is a gravitational wave detector, but it's on a different scale from LIGO where these measurements were made. 

The thing about gravitational waves is they are a completely different way of looking at the universe from anything we've had before. So we need to look at them as they'll tell a different story and allow us to measure events and discover things which would otherwise be unavailable. LISA is effectively a gravitational wave observatory of very high sensitivity, so where LIGO has detected the waves, LISA will be able to measure them. It's like the difference between a light sensor and a camera. 

I keep hearing "different way of looking at the Universe". What does this actually mean in layman terms?

2 hours ago, SMcoolJ said:

I keep hearing "different way of looking at the Universe". What does this actually mean in layman terms?

Everything we've ever done previously has been looking at electromagnetic radiation. That includes light, radio waves, microwaves, infrared, ultraviolet, x rays and gamma rays. All of these are just different wavelengths of the same basic thing. Gravitational waves are something different. Instead of looking at particles / waves travelling through space, these are actually waves in the fabric of space. We've never detected them before, and the information we'll be able to get from them well tell us new things about what we already know, and let us see things we've never seen before. For example the paper that was released from LIGO yesterday is the first time we have ever directly detected two black holes orbiting each other and the first time we've detected two black holes colliding.

You could draw a comparison by saying when we first developed equipment to detect radio waves, it meant we could see things we had never seen before, because they didn't send out light. The difference between gravitational waves and light, radio, etc is even bigger than the difference between light and radio because it's a completely different type of 'radiation'.

18 hours ago, thplinth said:

Is this proven like the Higgs Boson was proven?

http://phys.org/news/2014-11-wasnt-higgs-particle.html

Like most things at this level, proven for a given value of proven. Technicolour is quite interesting, although I haven't read too much about it, I think it's basically projecting a new level of subatomic particle which certain bosons will break down into. So that doesn't disagree with there being a Higgs particle, it disagrees with it being fundamental. Their techni-Higgs would, as I understand it, have the same properties and fulfil the same function as a Higgs boson, so it's not in disagreement, it's just that the technicolour guys are going beyond the Standard model (in the same way as supersymmetry and quantum loops for example) whereas the Higgs is the completion of the standard model. It's like Einstein's Relativity going beyond Newton's gravity - Newton isn't actually wrong as such, it's just that there's a level beyond Newton's theory which describes certain situations where Newton  breaks down. We already know that the Standard model doesn't cover the entirety of reality, as it can't connect quantum theory and gravity, but we've got to keep pushing it to see where it breaks and which of the predictions made by Technicolour, Quantum loops, supersymmetry etc are correct. One of the key things that the Higgs discovery did was get rid of some of the 'beyond Standard' models, for example the no-Higgs model (the three in the previous sentence all needed a Higgs particle). One thing I'm not clear on is if the technicolour guys predicted there being a Higgs particle (a techni-Higgs in their terminology) before the event or whether they retrofitted their theory to the observations. 

Edited by biffer