Money - Czech Republic v Scotland - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Money

Geed

How much Czech Koruna do you think will be needed a day?  never been to Czech Republic so don't really know the prices out there for food and drink?  was thinking off taking £250 worth of Czech Koruna, will that be enough for 3 days?

Thanks

2 hours ago, captain said:

Usual rules apply in Prague. If you want cheap drink stay out of the tourist traps, 1 street back and you'll pay £1 a beer and eat like a King.

My local is 19kc a beer just now.

I have noticed the exchange has been dropping so it is getting slight more expensive for you guys, last month 38kc to the pound, this month already at 34kc.

50 minutes ago, scott7 0 said:

My local is 19kc a beer just now.

I have noticed the exchange has been dropping so it is getting slight more expensive for you guys, last month 38kc to the pound, this month already at 34kc.

where's your local?  

1 hour ago, macy37 said:

I've been a fair bit lately and the prices are pretty much 32kc to 45kc in town.

Pay any more than £1.50 a pint and you're getting raped or sitting in either of the main squares or the George and Dragon (awful pub).

Would agree with that. 

Problem with Prague is that many places cater for tourists who will never return, resulting in poor quality food and drink (which people think is amazing, although they have nothing to compare it to). And to round it off, these places have hidden charges for snacks on the table, as well as dreadful service at an additional 10%.

20 hours ago, wubbs said:

Would agree with that. 

Problem with Prague is that many places cater for tourists who will never return, resulting in poor quality food and drink (which people think is amazing, although they have nothing to compare it to). And to round it off, these places have hidden charges for snacks on the table, as well as dreadful service at an additional 10%.

Whilst i tend to agree with you the below quote is not entirely true. Even the Czechs moan about the piss poor service and product in bars and restaurants. :-) its a Prague thing, once outside Prague you can see service and quality much better.

"Problem with Prague is that many places cater for tourists who will never return"

head to Zizkov, top end of Vinohrady and beyond and you can find a decent pint in most little bars.

This site is decent to help navigate around Prague.

http://praguebeergarden.com/

3 hours ago, scott7 0 said:

Whilst i tend to agree with you the below quote is not entirely true. Even the Czechs moan about the piss poor service and product in bars and restaurants. :-) its a Prague thing, once outside Prague you can see service and quality much better.

"Problem with Prague is that many places cater for tourists who will never return"

head to Zizkov, top end of Vinohrady and beyond and you can find a decent pint in most little bars.

Sorry, i meant central Prague. The quality of food and drink definitely improves outside the main tourist areas, but the service can still be very slow at times. Sometimes you wait in what feels like eternity just for a menu.

I also recommend areas such a Zizkov and Vinohrady :ok:

For my last few trips I've used a REVOLUT card - which you use like a debit or credit card.   https://revolut.com/

Either pay over the counter or use it to withdraw at a hole in the wall. It worked well in Tbilisi - so should be fine for Prague.  It guarantees the best exchange rate at the time and you can see exactly what you've spent (or topped up) via an easy-to-use App.  Having previously linked it your nomal UK debit or credit card, you can top up the balance on your Revolut in seconds - assuming you've got enough dosh in your UK account !!

On 15/02/2016 at 8:30 AM, scott7 0 said:

Does the tram still run from the centre up to Zizkov ? Did this a few years back. Made a Sparta Prague game at 5pm Saturday, then hair of the dog at the 11am Sunday Viktoria Zizkov game. Tram stopped right outside the ground. Remember brilliant BBQ sausages being served up from rickety old tables - beer and brandy/rum being sloshed up too. One of my favourite football experiences, old fashioned terraces etc.

50 minutes ago, killiefaetheferry said:

Does the tram still run from the centre up to Zizkov ? Did this a few years back. Made a Sparta Prague game at 5pm Saturday, then hair of the dog at the 11am Sunday Viktoria Zizkov game. Tram stopped right outside the ground. Remember brilliant BBQ sausages being served up from rickety old tables - beer and brandy/rum being sloshed up too. One of my favourite football experiences, old fashioned terraces etc.

tram #9 from Wenceslas square or Narodni trida
They are at home on the Sunday I think.