Ice hockey play-off on Wednesday 23rd ? - Czech Republic v Scotland - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Ice hockey play-off on Wednesday 23rd ?

wubbs

For anyone interested in attending a local ice hockey game, Sparta Praha are likely to finish second in the league and advance to the quarter final play-offs. Assuming they do finish second in the league, the 5th play-off game will be on Wednesday 23rd March. The play-off tie is the best of 7, so the first team to win 4 games wins the tie. If either team wins the first 4 games (which are played on the 16th, 17th, 20th, 21st) then this game will not happen. Hope that's clear! Tickets will be available online a few days before.

Slavia Praha may also have a home game on the 23rd, but there are more variables involved (they have to avoid finishing below 4th in the league, win their quarter-final, and take the semi-final to the 6th game)

I'll provide updates nearer the time; for more info on Ice hockey (and football) in Prague please see my blog post

Great, thanks for the update. I take it the way the fixtures will pan out it will def be in Prague if it goes to game 5? 

Been lucky over the years seeing Milan Vipers and Olympic Ljubjana in play off matches and the Bruins last time in Prague. Fingers crossed make this as well. I'll look out my Edinburgh Racers top :-)

2 hours ago, clarky1606 said:

We arrive at 1745 and staying in old town - any idea what time K.O will be and is the venue central?

I go to watch the Aberdeen Lynx ice hockey team on occasion and it is always a good night. 

Sparta tend to start their midweek games around 18:30. It's 10 minutes by metro (mustek to ceskomoravska). It's probably too tight for time, but maybe it will be slightly later to accommodate TV.

Slavia game would probably be 17:30 or 18:00

1 hour ago, McToot said:

Great, thanks for the update. I take it the way the fixtures will pan out it will def be in Prague if it goes to game 5? 

Been lucky over the years seeing Milan Vipers and Olympic Ljubjana in play off matches and the Bruins last time in Prague. Fingers crossed make this as well. I'll look out my Edinburgh Racers top :-)

Yeah, game 5 will def be in Prague. They're currently 9 points behind 1st place and 11 above 3rd. Can't see that changing over the next 8 games. I also can't see them winning the QF in 4 games, so I'm fairly confident there will be a game on the 23rd.

Slavia are likely to play Kladno in the SF, which would probably be a better game (despite them being in a lower league). Slavia are in a bit of a mess at the moment though

Didn't realise the Burins were playing in Prague last time and had already booked my travel - that would have been at the O2 arena? Would have like to have seen that. Play-off matches are usually a great atmosphere.

31 minutes ago, McToot said:

Great info Wubbs, thanks.

Might be tight for time, but if needs must I'll jump in a taxi from airport.

The O2 has ridiculous rules on bringing bags into the arena. They have a bag drop for a small fee. Not sure where it is normally ,as I needed it during the World Championships last year.

25 minutes ago, jimstroma said:

Any games likely to be on the Friday or Saturday after our game?

Probably not in Prague, but i'll post an update nearer the time. There might be a game in somewhere like Plzen or Hradec Kralove if it goes the full 7 games. A deciding game wold be a great atmosphere and experience. If it's a draw after 60 minutes they play next goal the winner. Went to a game where they played 54 minutes of over time.

• 3 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, McToot said:

Any update Wubbs? Looking good for the game on 23rd?

Yeah it's looking good for the Wednesday. Sparta finished second, and will find out their opponents for the quarter final by the end of next week. Just need to hope they lose one of the first four games to ensure a fifth game :)
Slavia also looking good for the next round as they only need to win 2 out of their next 5.

Was at my teams play-off game yesterday which chalked up an impressive 94 penalty minutes. Certainly more interesting than the regular season games!

Anything for the Friday or Saturday would be interested as one of the kids coming with us goes to all the ice hockey games in Dundee and he's right into it. A shame we don't arrive until after 10pm on the Wednesday or would have taken him to that

15 hours ago, Tartan Queen said:

Anything for the Friday or Saturday would be interested as one of the kids coming with us goes to all the ice hockey games in Dundee and he's right into it. A shame we don't arrive until after 10pm on the Wednesday or would have taken him to that

No games in Prague on the Friday or Saturday, but there is a game in Pardubice on the Friday night, which is only 1 hour from Prague by train. It's a relegation battle, so could be a decent game

6 hours ago, wubbs said:

100 czk per ticket and can buy online here http://www.hcdynamo.cz/
(I imagine this would sell out or at least come close)

Perfect Wubbs thank you. I take it is easy to get to/from there? I will speak to Drew tonight and see if he wants to go and if not I will take Sonny on my own. We are staying 2 streets back from Old Town Square so really quite central. Sonny would love that. That would take care of Friday then. Only got to find something to do for the Saturday, hopefully some museum will be open as they are both into history and like places like that when we are away - can't get them into a museum here but they enjoy finding out the history of the country we are in ......

On ‎04‎/‎03‎/‎2016 at 2:40 AM, wubbs said:

100 czk per ticket and can buy online here http://www.hcdynamo.cz/
(I imagine this would sell out or at least come close)

Wubbs, I have just looked at the trains - maybe looking at the wrong site!! The last train appears to be 22.12 back to Prague. Do you think this would this be enough time from game finishing to get back to the train station to catch this train. All help here really appreciated.

27 minutes ago, Tartan Queen said:

Wubbs, I have just looked at the trains - maybe looking at the wrong site!! The last train appears to be 22.12 back to Prague. Do you think this would this be enough time from game finishing to get back to the train station to catch this train. All help here really appreciated.

Game starts at 5 so should be done by 7:30. Loads of time. 

There are various classes of train, avoid the Pendolino Super City (listed as SC) as you need a seat reservation. It's best to buy a return ticket on the day at the station (a group ticket will give you a cheaper price) and won't restrict you to a specific train.

1 minute ago, wubbs said:

There are various classes of train, avoid the Pendolino Super City (listed as SC) as you need a seat reservation. It's best to buy a return ticket on the day at the station (a group ticket will give you a cheaper price) and won't restrict you to a specific train.

Thanks for that Wubbs, wasn't going to book on-line, just had a look as wanted to make sure we would be able to get back!! Can now go and book the ice hockey tickets if we can still get them. Really appreciate all your help here. Due you a beer or three when we are there!!

2 hours ago, wubbs said:

Ok Wubbs, I am being really thick here - nothing new!! I can't find the tickets for this game can only find tickets up to and including 20th March. Am I looking in the wrong place????? Many thanks. You will be so sorry you mentioned this now!!

1 hour ago, peever1745 said:

Which team will we shout for? 

Always the home team!

4 minutes ago, Tartan Queen said:

Ok Wubbs, I am being really thick here - nothing new!! I can't find the tickets for this game can only find tickets up to and including 20th March. Am I looking in the wrong place????? Many thanks. You will be so sorry you mentioned this now!!

no worries; most Czech sport websites aren't overly friendly for the non-Czech speaker :)

http://www.hcdynamo.cz/

vstupenky na dynamo > online vstupenky > vstupenky > select the game

50 minutes ago, wubbs said:

Always the home team!

no worries; most Czech sport websites aren't overly friendly for the non-Czech speaker :)

http://www.hcdynamo.cz/

vstupenky na dynamo > online vstupenky > vstupenky > select the game

Thanks for this Wubbs, got so far and booked tickets but won't let me purchase. Think this may have something to do with phone number???? Any ideas. Sorry you have been so helpful here!! Tried to put the phone number of hotel we are staying at but not accepting this either grrr!! Obviously something I'm doing wrong and if I am getting the gist of this it is to do with phone number

Edited by Tartan Queen