Independent newspaper - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Independent to cease as print edition

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35561145

Or as the Independent has it "becomes the first national newspaper to embrace a global, digital-only future"

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/media/press/the-independent-becomes-the-first-national-newspaper-to-embrace-a-global-digital-only-future-a6869736.html

Edited by exile

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Independent was the last paper I bought a physical copy of although I haven't bought it regularly for years.  It was a breath of fresh air when it first came out.  Its demise will presumably mean that UK wide politics programmes on TV and radion commenting on what the papers say will be even more right wing and rabid.

18 hours ago, aaid said:

First of many, I doubt that in 5 years time there will be any daily newspapers available in print. 

There will definitely be a reduced number but I doubt they'll disappear completely, but it will likely be Rupert who has the monopoly.  

6 hours ago, Stapes said:

They weren't quite so 'independent' during the referendum so, eh, good riddance.

:lol: 

16 minutes ago, Scunnered said:

There will definitely be a reduced number but I doubt they'll disappear completely, but it will likely be Rupert who has the monopoly.  

Sadly so. Rupert makes a loss on The Times but it allows him to have a voice and influence public opinion/policy

1 hour ago, Hertsscot said:

The Independent was the last paper I bought a physical copy of although I haven't bought it regularly for years.  It was a breath of fresh air when it first came out.  Its demise will presumably mean that UK wide politics programmes on TV and radion commenting on what the papers say will be even more right wing and rabid.

Stops buying a paper.

It closes print edition.

Complains about titles remaining.

7 hours ago, Scunnered said:

I don't think that newspapers will cease to exist as organisations, although I suspect some may fall by the wayside but that it's print as a medium that will disappear.

The print edition of the Independent runs at a loss but the website runs at a profit.  The Daily Mail is one of the biggest "news" websites in the world, I was in Chicago a couple of years ago and saw a billboard ad for the Daily Mail. 

Similarly the Guardian is focussing more on online than print.  The Sun has recently stopped its paywall. 

It will only take one or two papers to go fully online before the rest will follow.  The Independent is one, who will be the second?

Edited by aaid

6 hours ago, Alan said:

Stops buying a paper.

It closes print edition.

Complains about titles remaining.

Well you got that one right but seeing its ten years or so since I bought the Independent regularly I'm not sure you can lay that one at my door! Incidentally I do buy a paper still but it's not a physical copy.  Anyhow the point that you haven't  acknowledged is there's a limiting of political debate e.g. at the BBC they'll comment on what the papers say.  I'm not so sure that the BBC needs to devote as much airtime or space on their website to what the papers say as paper sales continue to plummet but the fact is that if the Independent is no longer there the views put forward by the press will be more right wing then ever and at the same time less representative.  The interesting question is whether in a few years time they'll have supplemented or replaced what the papers say with what blogs or twitter say and even more interesting and significant what ones will they comment on and which will they exclude.

13 hours ago, aaid said:

I don't think that newspapers will cease to exist as organisations, although I suspect some may fall by the wayside but that it's print as a medium that will disappear.

The print edition of the Independent runs at a loss but the website runs at a profit.  The Daily Mail is one of the biggest "news" websites in the world, I was in Chicago a couple of years ago and saw a billboard ad for the Daily Mail. 

Similarly the Guardian is focussing more on online than print.  The Sun has recently stopped its paywall. 

It will only take one or two papers to go fully online before the rest will follow.  The Independent is one, who will be the second?

Can someone explain the attraction of the Daily Mail to me ?  Granted i only ever see the scottish hard copy edition and a worldwide  online version  may be an improvement.

As i mentioned  in a previous thread , all i ever see in the scottish edition is a constant pop at the SNP , veiled racism, slobbering over the Royal Family / J K Rowling/ Helen Mirren. Add to that a  'fashion page' that would have Coco Chanel birling in her grave, a 'Good Health ' page that is a hypochondriac's wet dream  and a  never ending competition  to win a thatched cottage somewhere posh and middle class . Thats the Mail. Can someone please explain its polularity.  To me it really is just 'The Sun'  for the Hyacinth Buckets of the world. 

I still buy papers. Online I jump from article to article but when I read in paper form I feel i take it in more. Newspapers are very important as they do far more good than bad and an independent and questioning media is a vital part of democracy.

Guardian on a Saturday. Sunday Times, The Herald (though online subscription) and a couple days a week will get Times or Guardian or telegraph or Indy.

Sad news losing a print title but that's internet, tablets, blogs and also bbc news being far to big imho.

11 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

Can someone explain the attraction of the Daily Mail to me ?  Granted i only ever see the scottish hard copy edition and a worldwide  online version  may be an improvement.

I think they have a pretty user friendly app, has a lot of the sort of stuff my wife likes, the celeb gossip type stuff.

the downside of course is that she dips into the news section, so we now have swastika bed sheets.

1 hour ago, Alan said:

Newspapers are very important as they do far more good than bad and an independent and questioning media is a vital part of democracy.

I used to think that. But it's hard now to imagine what an "ïndependent and questioning"media is.

Once the Independent was, for example, against the Iraq war and resistant to the lies of the Blair government and counterweight to the cheerleading of the BBC.

By the end it was reduced to printing its own mendacious misrepresentation and propaganda, not least about the referendum (see above). 

So I couldn't say that papers doing that do more good than bad; at most, it's impossible to say. 

1 hour ago, Alan said:

I still buy papers. Online I jump from article to article but when I read in paper form I feel i take it in more. Newspapers are very important as they do far more good than bad and an independent and questioning media is a vital part of democracy.

Guardian on a Saturday. Sunday Times, The Herald (though online subscription) and a couple days a week will get Times or Guardian or telegraph or Indy.

Sad news losing a print title but that's internet, tablets, blogs and also bbc news being far to big imho.

8 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

The referendum is only a window into the problems with the media in the uk and across the world 

Exactly. I would say both the Iraq war and then the referendum opened the eyes of many people. That's why I used both examples.

The way Blair managed to manipulate most of the Labour party to support a neo-con repbulican gun-toting american president. The use of propaganda, etc.... George Orwell would be turning in his grave.

The point being lots of us didn't necessarily notice these things - previously trusted newspapers' deceptions and omissions - until we saw some of the biggest issues of our day reflected (distorted) in them - which included wars and independence, which are crucial issues of democracy - not 'nationalism'. Remember Patrick Harvie said strikingly in the ref debates, "I'm not a nationalist..." yet people still bang on about it, as if dropping the n-word into a debate should end the argument.

Edited by exile