Independent newspaper - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, aaid said:

So is just Scots in London who want to see an independent Scotland that you think are hypocritical or does that extend to other parts of England

By that same token, I'm sure that you think that anyone who feels that the UK should leave the EU of being hypocritical - or at least those who live in the EU - as they are similarly benefiting from the EU while railing against its injustice.

Scots in rUK so that's London, Berkshire, Wales, Tyneside etc. Hypocrites. If it was that important you'd be up contributing, living and experiencing.

UK based in EU wanting to leave EU the b same.

22 minutes ago, Alan said:

Scots in rUK so that's London, Berkshire, Wales, Tyneside etc. Hypocrites. If it was that important you'd be up contributing, living and experiencing.

Unlike you it seems, I'm fully aware of the difference between England and the U.K.  

6 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Great stuff, thanks. Pits the naive idea of a jolly decent benign media, versus what a real free press would be like.

Quite something to see young Mr Marr pretty much humbled almost into silence, as his own naive view of crusading journalism is filleted in front of him by Chomsky.

8 hours ago, Alan said:

On topic of national print media this article raises questions and challenges some understanding

http://scot-buzz.co.uk/ten-myths-about-the-crisis-in-scottish-newspapers/

That's quite Interesting. One thing to take from it is the power of the London titles with Scottish editions, over the Scottish indigenous titles. 

The article suggests this is because the London titles are superior, but even assuming that true, you would think in that case the Scottish indigenous titles' best bet was to cater for people who wished a distinctive, independent minded Scottish point of view - including reflecting the balance of Scottish opinion, or being roughly balanced and roughly equally reflecting pro- and anti-independence views (as maybe the Herald used to). Instead, they seem to be increasingly partisan pro-union, and so driving away pro-indy readership, who are less likely to buy the London titles anyway.

The article is focused on the newspaper business and says nothing about the health of democracy when almost all newspapers are representing only one half of public opinion, with the other half only catered for by one or two out of 18 titles.

10 minutes ago, thplinth said:

I am only 10 mins in but it totally explains the rise of this mega sook Andre Marr. He reminds me of Michale Gove. What a toady he is, it is funny, but 20 years later look where he is...

Certainly, nowadays it's hard to dissociate Marr from the arrogant swagger of the establishment.

Then, he still seemed to have a self-image of being some independent-minded crusading journalist, but Chomsky more or less says that (only) the best journalists realise this is not the case (ouch).

On 15/02/2016 at 10:59 AM, Alan said:

The National is a genius. It's graphic style obsessed with hands and pop art style cartoons are like a 1980's fanzine. Pat "kids to private school" Kane using words others don't understand. My new fave is when they use"Auld Scots" incorrectly and not even consistently within same paragraph. Wait it's real? Love the idea of it being read on the Bakerloo or Jubilee line while shaking a metaphorical fist at Westmonster.

I've never seen The National being read on London public transport, but then I mostly get the bus, Overground and Victoria line  - not Bakerloo or Jubilee.

I wouldn't mind having a swatch at it once in a while, is it available down here? Would make a welcome change from the Evening Standard's Tory mantra.

6 minutes ago, Goozay said:

I've never seen The National being read on London public transport, but then I mostly get the bus, Overground and Victoria line  - not Bakerloo or Jubilee.

I wouldn't mind having a swatch at it once in a while, is it available down here? Would make a welcome change from the Evening Standard's Tory mantra.

I believe it's available in the House of Commons. 

On 16/2/2016 at 2:05 PM, aaid said:

So is just Scots in London who want to see an independent Scotland that you think are hypocritical or does that extend to other parts of England, Europe or elsewhere in the world?

By that same token, I'm sure that you think that anyone who feels that the UK should leave the EU of being hypocritical - or at least those who live in the EU - as they are similarly benefiting from the EU while railing against its injustice.

Aye. Listen to the arguments the hypocritical snake Jacob Rees-Mogg used on C4 tonight (interview continues after the video creators interruption).

On 16/2/2016 at 6:18 PM, Alan said:

Do you believe ex-pats should not be allowed a vote on the EU referendum then, seeing as they're not "contributing, living and experiencing" the UK?

4 hours ago, Dave78 said:

Aye. Listen to the arguments the hypocritical snake Jacob Rees-Mogg used on C4 tonight (interview continues after the video creators interruption).

Do you believe ex-pats should not be allowed a vote on the EU referendum then, seeing as they're not "contributing, living and experiencing" the UK?

Don't see much outrage at the nationalism in the EU referendum by not allowing people a vote because of their nationality.