Drinking alcohol with food - Manky - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Drinking alcohol with food - Manky

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Can't be many restaurants or Cafes that allow people to choose between a joint or a glass of wine. 

irrelevant to the point. People get stoned outwith of restaurants stash all the time. You don't even need a restaurant to supply food, you can make it yourself.

Actually in American states like Colorado they have Cannabis and food pairings etc, like you would for wine, difference is Cannabis specifically excites the Main olfactory bulb in the brain, actually making you physically able to experience the meal more intensely, as opposed to two things just tasting nice together.

20 minutes ago, phart said:

Actually in American states like Colorado they have Cannabis and food pairings etc, like you would for wine, difference is Cannabis specifically excites the Main olfactory bulb in the brain, actually making you physically able to experience the meal more intensely, as opposed to two things just tasting nice together.

Are you a dealer? You are pushing cannabis pretty hard here :lol: 

4 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Are you a dealer? You are pushing cannabis pretty hard here :lol: 

No everything i'm saying is from this paper posted on the peer-reviewed neurosciences paper Nature-neuroscience. See below.

Science does create very compelling arguments though.

http://www.nature.com/neuro/journal/v17/n3/full/nn.3647.html

The topic was one psychosomatic substance and  how it affects the eating experience, i'm merely pointing out there is another psychosomatic substance that is a much better fit for the culinary experience because it makes the part of the brain responsible for enjoying food even better at it's job. As opposed to picking two things that just taste nice together.

Your confusing informing for advocacy :D

Got in a bottle of Tim Adams Semillon to have with dinner tonight. The Mrs not been feeling well with flu-type stuff but working all day and back out teaching yoga tonight, so planned to make her a nice meal - pork medallions sauteed with porcini mushrooms in a cider and mustard cream sauce, boulangere potatoes, and steamed brocolli. Told her this morning and she goes, "Yuk ! Boakey !" I'm thinking what an ungrateful cow ! But fair enough she has had no appetite for a week or so. So I ask what I can cook for her.........and it's to be burger and chips :(. Not really the enjoyable cooking session I was planning on, but apparently you can take the girl out of Fife etc.......;)

Anyway, what a waste of a tenner bottle of wine ! Might nip out and grab a cheap red. Or some lager.

Food and wine is one of life's great pleasures. If it's not for you, it's not for you, unlucky but there you are. Curry and beer is a perfect combination too; I've tried it with more wines than I care to mention, but nothing matches a curry like an ice cold beer. 

26 minutes ago, Pool Q said:

Food and wine is one of life's great pleasures. If it's not for you, it's not for you, unlucky but there you are. Curry and beer is a perfect combination too; I've tried it with more wines than I care to mention, but nothing matches a curry like an ice cold beer. 

Don't get me wrong, i think they compliment each other as far as taste goes, it's just that beer with naan, poppadoms and rice is too much for my stomach to cope with.  I've developed a taste for red wine with curry....and the more i speak it now about it now, the more I'm developing a need for it tonight!  

57 minutes ago, killiefaetheferry said:

Rioja.

Wine with food is one of the greatest pleasures in life.

The options were blackcurrant or orange diluting juice. 

I don't drink on school nights, i've got a physique to maintain. 

49 minutes ago, phart said:

No everything i'm saying is from this paper posted on the peer-reviewed neurosciences paper Nature-neuroscience. See below.

Science does create very compelling arguments though.

http://www.nature.com/neuro/journal/v17/n3/full/nn.3647.html

The topic was one psychosomatic substance and  how it affects the eating experience, i'm merely pointing out there is another psychosomatic substance that is a much better fit for the culinary experience because it makes the part of the brain responsible for enjoying food even better at it's job. As opposed to picking two things that just taste nice together.

Your confusing informing for advocacy :D

I wasn't confusing. I was just making a joke :)

Alcohol and food is a great mix. I would have a wee beer with my meal about 3 times a week. Beer goes as well with food as wine does. People who say it doesn't haven't understood that lager isn't the only type of beer out there, and haven't understood that a beer doesn't mean a session.

I'd stop far short of saying it was manky but it's not something I do often. My preference is to drink water a short time after the meal. Helps with digestion and allows for focus solely on the taste of the food and ingredient pairing. 

When I do drink alcohol alongside eating it's mostly when I'm fitting in some food when out, with the main purpose being drinking. 

Food and alcohol pairings are vastly overratted imo. To such an extent I wondered if it was more of a marketing exercise dreamt up by the wine industry sometime ago.

Before becoming vegan and moving abroad I had a spell of visiting the top restaurants in Scotland, usually on a bi weekly basis. On a few occasions that I can recall I went to dinner and wine 'events' with wine experts and producers flown in from Italy and on the other occasion Spain. Each course having a different a different wine pairing, (often 6 plus courses!) I put it to them that I felt alcohol hinders the tasting experience, that alcohol is too harsh / strong a substance to help the palate taste food. The Italian said something along the lines of, you can't expect me to confirm or agree with you on that, I'm hear to sell wine by way of saying how well it goes with food! The spaniard said he shares my opinion! Ever since, I have noted that much pairing advice is shifting away from x y z wines should only really be combined with x y z food, now it's often more a case of, whichever wine you like best, goes with whichever food you like best! 

Each to their own I suppose it really comes down to.

Edited by McExpat

1 hour ago, SMcoolJ said:

Don't get me wrong, i think they compliment each other as far as taste goes, it's just that beer with naan, poppadoms and rice is too much for my stomach to cope with.  I've developed a taste for red wine with curry....and the more i speak it now about it now, the more I'm developing a need for it tonight!  

I agree completely.

On the very rare occasion that I have a curry, I have wine with it. Curry and beer is just too bloating.

It's also one of the reasons why the UK is full of fat bast*rds.

42 minutes ago, McExpat said:

I'd stop far short of saying it was manky but it's not something I do often. My preference is to drink water a short time after the meal. Helps with digestion and allows for focus solely on the taste of the food and ingredient pairing. 

When I do drink alcohol alongside eating it's mostly when I'm fitting in some food when out, with the main purpose being drinking. 

Food and alcohol pairings are vastly overratted imo. To such an extent I wondered if it was more of a marketing exercise dreamt up by the wine industry sometime ago.

Before becoming vegan and moving abroad I had a spell of visiting the top restaurants in Scotland, usually on a bi weekly basis. On a few occasions that I can recall I went to dinner and wine 'events' with wine experts and producers flown in from Italy and on the other occasion Spain. Each course having a different a different wine pairing, (often 6 plus courses!) I put it to them that I felt alcohol hinders the tasting experience, that alcohol is too harsh / strong a substance to help the palate taste food. The Italian said something along the lines of, you can't expect me to confirm or agree with you on that, I'm hear to sell wine by way of saying how well it goes with food! The spaniard said he shares my opinion! Ever since, I have noted that much pairing advice is shifting away from x y z wines should only really be combined with x y z food, now it's often more a case of, whichever wine you like best, goes with whichever food you like best! 

Each to their own I suppose it really comes down to.

So the Italian basically told you to feck off and stop bothering him, and the Spaniard basically agreed with you to get you to feck off. :hammer:

24 minutes ago, killiefaetheferry said:

So the Italian basically told you to feck off and stop bothering him, and the Spaniard basically agreed with you to get you to feck off. :hammer:

LoL

No, on the contrary we were having a good laugh, admittedly mainly fueled by their wine. Me and my friends and the Italian and Spanish were the only guys in our twenties there with the rest being much older, that along with the fact we both had business's that trade internationally, including with each another's countries made for some good interactions, to such an extent we began to get worried about the Spaniard getting distracted and not doing his job, on saying to him we were relieved to hear his dad owned the company and both of them were very keen on product consumption at their events! 

Not everyone from Scotland shares that commonly found bad Killie attitude that results in pissing people right off! ?

Edited by McExpat

5 hours ago, phart said:

Cannabis will increase the enjoyment of meal time better than any wine.

They found that cannabinoid type-1 (CB1)—a receptor in the endocannabinoid system activated by plant cannabinoids, such as the compound THC—is responsible for determining food intake. The rest of the main olfactory bulb (MOB), where the endocannabinoid system is predominant, is responsible for odor processing and receptor signaling.

Essentially, the complex system works together in times of hunger to maximize the sensory experience. When activated with THC, these receptors become especially stimulated—superpowered, if you will.

So you ask yourself do you really want to increase the eating experience or are you doing it for the benefit of show.

Very good point.

I've read similar studies and think it's certainly  been proven that cannabis is a better psychoactive substance when it comes to eating when compared alongside alcohol. Althogh some people will have conditioned their palate to prefer alcohol. 

I've also seen some research in the medicinal marihuana field pushing for the plant to be used to help treat eating disorders. On looking at the evidence it seems a no brainer. 

3 hours ago, SMcoolJ said:

I can't disagree that it is all a bit bloating, although I do tend to give rice a miss which helps, and Cobra is of course specially brewed to be light and drinkable with curry. Just haven't found that wine complements curry, but many people tell me otherwise.

This is going to sound simpleton as hell compared to the stuff written about already but I really enjoy irn-bru with curry sauce (eg obvs with rice or chips). Really enhances both greatly imo. Wouldn't say I'm a massive fizzy drink person but the combination came first to my mind.

I can't drink alcohol with food, no matter what the food or occassion. Just doesn't taste right to me. But after food i can quite happily have a couple of drinks, maybe habit with me that i don't mix the two, think i just prefer to get the taste of the food.