Messi penalty - clever or disrespectful? - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Messi penalty - clever or disrespectful?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Both IMO. Definitely clever but definitely a bit of a piss take of the opposition. Don't know if there had been anything in the game which provoked it but I did see Giudetti score a pen for Celta to make it 1-1 and do the whole hands behind ears "Can't hear you" celebration near end of first half.

Cruyff and Jesper Olsen (I am sure) scored a similar one for Ajax in the 80's, first time I had seen it done. 

Clever and ballsy.

He's the only one with anything to lose if it goes erse up, has to fully trust the next person to touch it is Suarez without looking that he's ready as he goes to the ball.

If its not Suarez next he would be getting stick for a horrible penalty.

Not disrespectful, a defender matching Suarez's run properly could have cleared.

Wouldn't have happened if it was Ronaldo on a Hat-trick, he'd have scored the pen.

Football is entertainment. That entertained. 

Saying it's disrespectful is complete guff. 

Im surprised no-one has been moaning and greeting about Neymar's class flick over the head. Another piece of fantastic entertainment ??

Disrespectful. Save that for testimonials or charity games. Messi is good enough at penalties that he didn't have to do that.  Anyone who follows me on twitter, I have posted a pm I got from graham hunter for saying It was disrespectful. The is a difference between trickery and piss taking, and this crossed the line from entertainment to showing a lack of respect 

It's a sporadically used method of taking a penalty. Nothing genius or original about it. It's also less effective than just hitting it from the spot, as your adding in many more variables.

Do it when it means something, no point "risk-taking" when there is no risk.

I find it interesting that they decided to do a risky move only in conditions when the risk has been mitigated by the score. So they're doing it cause it's safe to do so.

I find no entertainment in risks when there is no risk, Zidane did his little chip at 0-0 in the world cup final, on a penalty.

Neither 

watched the highlights and thought his free kick, assist for Suarez first goal, skill to win the penalty and dribble that lead to Surez second goal all far more news worthy. The wee man is unplayable when he's like that. 

It is interesting that while on 299 la liga goals he decided to set up a team mate instead of trying to score himself. 

2 hours ago, Mazziessc said:

Clever and ballsy.

He's the only one with anything to lose if it goes erse up, has to fully trust the next person to touch it is Suarez without looking that he's ready as he goes to the ball.

If its not Suarez next he would be getting stick for a horrible penalty.

Not disrespectful, a defender matching Suarez's run properly could have cleared.

Wouldn't have happened if it was Ronaldo on a Hat-trick, he'd have scored the pen.

Neymar claimed the penalty pass was actually for him so it didn't quite work out exactly as planned. 

I just read that if Messi had scored it would have been his 300th La Liga goal so its quite something to pass up that opportunity, not that it will take him long to get 300 anyway.

5 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

It is interesting that while on 299 la liga goals he decided to set up a team mate instead of trying to score himself. 

I didn't know that, and he did it by taking a risk in a riskless situation. That is interesdting.

14 minutes ago, phart said:

It's a sporadically used method of taking a penalty. Nothing genius or original about it. It's also less effective than just hitting it from the spot, as your adding in many more variables.

Do it when it means something, no point "risk-taking" when there is no risk.

I find it interesting that they decided to do a risky move only in conditions when the risk has been mitigated by the score. So they're doing it cause it's safe to do so.

I find no entertainment in risks when there is no risk, Zidane did his little chip at 0-0 in the world cup final, on a penalty.

There is risk though. 

Loss of a hat-trick and his 300th goal in the league?

You can even add in the fact he gets a missed pen on his record, he also sets up a goal which he doesnt even get an assist for as technically he missed.

He did have risk and he didnt really gain much from it.

6 minutes ago, phart said:

I didn't know that, and he did it by taking a risk in a riskless situation. That is interesdting.

Isn't a penalty still a risk? 

given how often Barcelona miss them 

in saying that surely Suarez just taking the pen himself would have been the less risky option. His record I think is excellent.

Possibly a tribute to cruff? After his good news this week

Edited by ParisInAKilt

4 minutes ago, Mazziessc said:
There is risk though. 

Loss of a hat-trick and his 300th goal in the league?

You can even add in the fact he gets a missed pen on his record, he also sets up a goal which he doesnt even get an assist for as technically he missed.

He did have risk and he didnt really gain much from it.

Good point, he avoided the chance of missing his 300th goal and passed the ball. Chose the lesser risk.