The big game tonight - Page 4 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The big game tonight

So far we've had posters fancying Rankine, Paton, Erskine and Muirhead and pretty sure we'd all agree that Blair Spittal seems a decent player.

I've been making the point elsewhere that United's squad is surely comparable with any other side in the bottom six and the above would seem to emphasise that.

Mixu has been a complete disaster from day 1 and should really have been given the bullet a while back to give us some kind of chance. Quite how he can't "get a tune" so to speak from that squad is a disgrace and brings his lack managerial skills to the fore. He's (somehow) been worse than his predecessor 

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, scot scotland scottish said:

So far we've had posters fancying Rankine, Paton, Erskine and Muirhead and pretty sure we'd all agree that Blair Spittal seems a decent player.

I've been making the point elsewhere that United's squad is surely comparable with any other side in the bottom six and the above would seem to emphasise that.

Mixu has been a complete disaster from day 1 and should really have been given the bullet a while back to give us some kind of chance. Quite how he can't "get a tune" so to speak from that squad is a disgrace and brings his lack managerial skills to the fore. He's (somehow) been worse than his predecessor 

He has to go. He is not the man to bring us back up and was a very very bad choice. I'm of the opinion that had we kept McNamara we wouldn't be in this position.

Stuart McCall? Ray McKinnon?

22 hours ago, Robroysboy said:

Great time to score, right on half-time.

Mc fadden cross converted by skipper for the night McManus. To be fair to McManus he does score in crucial games ( he got one at ibrox )

Dundee utd have the full second half to recover but advantage motherwell.

Is McFadden still hanging about? I thought he was going to America

50 minutes ago, GHfaeGTA said:

He has to go. He is not the man to bring us back up and was a very very bad choice. I'm of the opinion that had we kept McNamara we wouldn't be in this position.

Stuart McCall? Ray McKinnon?

For I want to see the back of Mixu, options at this minute are fairly limited. To be fair to Thompson options were also limited when Mixu was appointed and he clearly wasn't first choice for the job.

Wouldnt be against your choices. I  personally favour getting someone in to steer us to the end of the season (ridiculous though it sounds, Jimmy Calderwood? - cue Deecie) and see where we go from there.

The main thing is to get Mixu away from the club sharpish.

2 hours ago, scot scotland scottish said:

For I want to see the back of Mixu, options at this minute are fairly limited. To be fair to Thompson options were also limited when Mixu was appointed and he clearly wasn't first choice for the job.

Wouldnt be against your choices. I  personally favour getting someone in to steer us to the end of the season (ridiculous though it sounds, Jimmy Calderwood? - cue Deecie) and see where we go from there.

The main thing is to get Mixu away from the club sharpish.

The main thing is to be ready for next season. Not sure what the point in spending yet more money on somebody to guide us thru 13 dead rubbers unless they're putting  together a foundation for next year.  

Edited by adamntg

Guest faircity

They couldn't be expected to stand in the way of a move to Lisbon for Gauld surely.

Mackay Steven was a no brainer, a completely ineffective show pony, he is shite and if anyone was offering cash for him then how could they refuse. 

Ciftci bites people.

Armstrong might be a different case admittedly. 

2 hours ago, EddardStark said:

Does anyone know why a club that made a big play on having no external debt then felt it necessary to sell Gauld,Armstrong,MacKay Steven and Ciftci ?

And Andy Robertson.

Gauld - can't stop the boy going to Sporting Lisbon.

Robertson - I thought we could've got a second season out of him, but I suppose when you had so many good young talents you could always sell one or two for big bucks to allow you to keep the rest.  That was Jim McLean's ethos, although he didn't have to deal with Bosman.

GMS - had signed a pre-contract with Celtic.  Was still one of the worst decisions in football history to let him go last Jan two weeks before we played them in a cup final.  I still can't fathom what was going on in their heads, and don't suppose I ever will.

Armstrong - terrible decision to sell.  He had another year on his contract.  Team were flying, no great likelihood of him losing value between the January and the summer.

Ciftci - was pish once Armstrong and GMS left.  £1.5m was an absolute steal, great decision to sell.

Czierniak - didn't re-sign, but why not replace him with a goalie, not some boy off YouTube?

Fojut - wanted to go back to Poland.  He still had a year or two on his contract so why we let him go for nothing I don't understand.  He was easily worth a few hundred thousand, if not more.

Souttar - wasn't for re-signing, had lost his way and was drowning in the general malaise so it was fairly compassionate to let him.  But to sell him to Hearts of all people (would equally apply to Hibs, Aberdeen, Motherwell, any other largish but non-Old Firm Scottish club) for buttons when they'd been offered £600k from Sunderland a year or two back - it was a scunner.  Our expensive youth system shouldn't be about moving guys onto our direct rivals, especially when they're still five years or more from their peak.

McGowan - out of contract and not re-signing so £350k for a guy who played in about eight winning sides in the year he was here, was pretty good money.

21 minutes ago, faircity said:

They couldn't be expected to stand in the way of a move to Lisbon for Gauld surely.

Mackay Steven was a no brainer, a completely ineffective show pony, he is shite and if anyone was offering cash for him then how could they refuse. 

Ciftci bites people.

Armstrong might be a different case admittedly. 

GMS was unplayable in January last year. Absolutely brilliant, he and Armstrong together were unstoppable in that team.  Just ask Dundee.

39 minutes ago, kumnio said:

GMS wasnt a very good player, he only played well against Dundee, whenever I watched him against anyone else, he was average, at best.

With the minimum of respect ;) that's pish.  I watched GMS play for United for four years and while he wasn't always on fire, when he was he was the most exciting player I've ever watched at Tannadice up to, and perhaps even including Ralph Milne, Eamonn Bannon and Paul Sturrock.  He could take a ball outside his own area and drive the length of the pitch leaving defenders on the floor.  And there was end product too, he set up hunners of goals, as well as pitching in with a good number of his own.  That's not even beginning on the mind-boggling ball skills.  Have you ever seen anyone ever do that thing he did at Kilmarnock when he caught the ball on his foot, then his chest and then headed it past the defenders and away?  It was a privilege.

If you don't enjoy watching Gary Mackay-Steven at the top of his game then football really isn't the game for you.

On 16 February 2016 at 9:20 PM, kumnio said:

This could be season over for Utd, a win tonight and you never know, but its pretty much all over now.

On 16 February 2016 at 9:24 PM, Robroysboy said:

Until it's mathematically impossible the fight will go on- but it looks difficult for you.

How did you miss that one Kumnio???

7 hours ago, adamntg said:

With the minimum of respect ;) that's pish.  I watched GMS play for United for four years and while he wasn't always on fire, when he was he was the most exciting player I've ever watched at Tannadice up to, and perhaps even including Ralph Milne, Eamonn Bannon and Paul Sturrock.  He could take a ball outside his own area and drive the length of the pitch leaving defenders on the floor.  And there was end product too, he set up hunners of goals, as well as pitching in with a good number of his own.  That's not even beginning on the mind-boggling ball skills.  Have you ever seen anyone ever do that thing he did at Kilmarnock when he caught the ball on his foot, then his chest and then headed it past the defenders and away?  It was a privilege.

If you don't enjoy watching Gary Mackay-Steven at the top of his game then football really isn't the game for you.

Hunners of goals???

Hmmmmmm :moon:

8 hours ago, adamntg said:

Are you thinking about Messi or GMS?

I know Utd fans who werent big fans of his, he was the definition of average. Yes, he was occasionally excellent, but he was also terrible at times, just never against Dundee sadly, 

10 minutes ago, kumnio said:

I know Utd fans who werent big fans of his, he was the definition of average. Yes, he was occasionally excellent, but he was also terrible at times, just never against Dundee sadly, 

McNamara never got the best out of him. Under Houston he was a one trick pony but an effective one at that - his performance in the home tie v Dinamo Moscow being no greater example; United's tactics that were to get the ball to GMS and let him run at them - he ran then ragged.

McNamara tried to change his style by changing wings and it just never worked for him.

Not seen much of him in a Celtic jersey but gather he's not exactly setting the heather on fire

48 minutes ago, kumnio said:

He was definitely inconsistent (often injured too) but Utd were generally better off with him in the team/bench than without.

1 hour ago, kumnio said:

Yes, I also know Utd fans who are dafties and know nothing about football.  In fact, there are many of them sit round about me in the George Fox.  

He was never terrible, you're thinking of somebody else.  

I don't know what's gone wrong for him at Celtic and, frankly, don't care.

Edited by adamntg

2 hours ago, dandydunn said:

Hunners of goals???

Hmmmmmm :moon:

I have to explain to the 10 year olds I coach that when I say "in a minute" it's a figurative minute, not necessarily a literal one.  

GMS was a key member of the United team that scored four goals or more in each of seven games in a row.  i was always struck by the quality and consistency of his end product. 

Edited by adamntg

36 minutes ago, adamntg said:

I have to explain to the 10 year olds I coach that when I say "in a minute" it's a figurative minute, not necessarily a literal one.  

GMS was a key member of the United team that scored four goals or more in each of seven games in a row.  i was always struck by the quality and consistency of his end product. 

I got that. 

Do you explain sarcasm too? :D

Edited by dandydunn

14 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

Can we get this back on topic?

Motherwell were brilliant, faddy's still a god!

Mark McGhee, tactical genius.

:ok:

Indeed..good to see we are back to looking upwards and not "relegation certainties"

I wonder what we'll be after Saturday...they are a fickle bunch on the well forum :lol: