Last Dirty Trick ? - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Last Dirty Trick ?

Pish of course as we are already citizens of Europe (on your passport).

No citizen if Europe gets expelled for having a democratic election. That idea is actually quite ridiculous & obscene.

They are a bit late today...

You might not have been following the board when this was discussed at length, but in brief: you are only citizens of the EU because you are UK citizens. If Scotland does not join the EU immediately upon independence, you will no longer be EU citizens. Nobody is expelling you - you're leaving.

You might not have been following the board when this was discussed at length, but in brief: you are only citizens of the EU because you are UK citizens. If Scotland does not join the EU immediately upon independence, you will no longer be EU citizens. Nobody is expelling you - you're leaving.

how does that work then. why would we not be EU citizens and the rUK ones have left and have to rejoin. why do we not retain the citizenship? the Uk has changed if we vote yes. not just scotland but the whole of the UK. It is not the UK anymore by definition since the UK includes Scotland. If we have to re-apply so would they - how can one bit retain EU citizenship and another not?

I can see that getting very messy legally

why do we not retain the citizenship? the Uk has changed if we vote yes. not just scotland but the whole of the UK. It is not the UK anymore by definition since the UK includes Scotland. If we have to re-apply so would they - how can one bit retain EU citizenship and another not?

I can see that getting very messy legally

The UK would remain the member state. It's not their fault we left (actually it probably would be but that's another argument)...

Thing is voting Yes doesn't mean you instantly lose EU citizenship.

EU citizenship will be retained as the "Inclusive and expansive" organisation that the EU is, would not kick out current citizens who fulfill every criteria of membership and are currently members.

It just won't happen.

J

Thing is voting Yes doesn't mean you instantly lose EU citizenship.

EU citizenship will be retained as the "Inclusive and expansive" organisation that the EU is, would not kick out current citizens who fulfill every criteria of membership and are currently members.

It just won't happen.

J

Like I said, nobody's kicking anybody out. You're leaving, of your own accord.

Just my opinion, but I would expect Scotland to be back in the EU pretty much immediately (that's if it has to leave at all). Why on earth would the other EU members want to exclude it or prevent it from joining? Isn't the whole point of the EU about co-operation and working together? It doesn't make any sense to me to keep Scotland out. It might be a situation without precedent (I'm not sure), but I would expect them to find a way to get Scotland back in ASAP, even if they have to make some sort of special arrangements or amend the current joining procedure. Scotland is going to become independent, that's all - big deal! (ok, it is for you Scots, but you know what I mean within this context). It's not as though it's being taken over by a dangerous North Korean style regime that's going to pose an instant threat to the safety of Europe and the world and therefore needs to be excluded from the EU. As a rUK citizen I would expect and want Scotland to be in the EU (assuming you wanted to join), and I'd be raging if anyone tried to prevent that from happening.

Spain can threaten whatever it likes, but the other countries would be down on it like a ton of bricks if they tried to play politics over admitting Scotland because of the situation in Catalonia.

Just my opinion, but I would expect Scotland to be back in the EU pretty much immediately (that's if it has to leave at all). Why on earth would the other EU members want to exclude it or prevent it from joining? Isn't the whole point of the EU about co-operation and working together? It doesn't make any sense to me to keep Scotland out. It might be a situation without precedent (I'm not sure), but I would expect them to find a way to get Scotland back in ASAP, even if they have to make some sort of special arrangements or amend the current joining procedure. Scotland is going to become independent, that's all - big deal! (ok, it is for you Scots, but you know what I mean within this context). It's not as though it's being taken over by a dangerous North Korean style regime that's going to pose an instant threat to the safety of Europe and the world and therefore needs to be excluded from the EU. As a rUK citizen I would expect and want Scotland to be in the EU (assuming you wanted to join), and I'd be raging if anyone tried to prevent that from happening.

Spain can threaten whatever it likes, but the other countries would be down on it like a ton of bricks if they tried to play politics over admitting Scotland because of the situation in Catalonia.

Absolutely, bit of common sense

An opinion shared by many I would no doubt imagine.

Technically you're right, however the No camp bang this particular drum to suggest that Brussels will twiddle their proverbial thumbs as Scotland heads towards independence and excommunicate 5 million EU citizens come 2016.

That smells like sh1te to me. There's no real precedent for this and I'd expect Brussels to cooperate fully with Edinburgh to ensure the 5 million Scots remain EU Citizens, provided Edinburgh play ball with what they ask of them.

Meanwhile, another Cameron promise is to have an In-Out referendum on EU Membership for the UK in 2016 anywho.

EU membership is just another red herring that the No camp have used as a scare story.

I really hope Scotland holds its nerve tomorrow.