Dinner tonight - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

I'll start with sous vide pork chops (bone in) with a rub of garlic, rosemary, freshly ground salt and pepper, French wholegrain and English mustard, with a dash of cider vinegar. Pan fried after the sous vide. Planning to serve with wilted samphire and oven roasted wee tomatoes, and boiled potatoes sauteed in salted butter. Would you add a sauce ? If so, what and how ?

19 minutes ago, killiefaetheferry said:

I'll start with sous vide pork chops (bone in) with a rub of garlic, rosemary, freshly ground salt and pepper, French wholegrain and English mustard, with a dash of cider vinegar. Pan fried after the sous vide. Planning to serve with wilted samphire and oven roasted wee tomatoes, and boiled potatoes sauteed in salted butter. Would you add a sauce ? If so, what and how ?

No sauce for me - lots of nice flavours with the pork chops which I think would be lost if you added a sauce.

20 minutes ago, jenblueeyes said:

No sauce for me - lots of nice flavours with the pork chops which I think would be lost if you added a sauce.

Glad you said that as I forgot the Creme fraiche, and can't be arsed any more. Still got to get the kids to bed and one beer is making me sleepy. Need the Mrs to get home from work asap so we can eat this tea in front of the telly !

8 minutes ago, DoonTheSlope said:

I had a bowl of beans with grated melted cheese through it with a cheesy top with a side of garlic bread followed by a slice of McVities Jamaica Ginger washed down with a bottle of sprite

Dinner of champions. How did you make the garlic bread ? Ciabatta or baton ? Garlic mixed with the butter or rubbed onto the bread ?

1 hour ago, killiefaetheferry said:

Maybe some broon sauce but definitely not tomato 

7 minutes ago, killiefaetheferry said:

What about the 'juice' from the marinade/rub ? Worth bubbling up with some wine and butter ?

hello the resident tamb chef how are you ? not having this tonight but for later in week time after time l always muck up when it comes to the perfect pork crackling so please could be so kind as to guiding me how to getting it right  and what kind of wine would have with said pork ? ?

I agree with Jen, no sauce required there, although if you had to do anything, then aye something with the mustard. Perhaps mixed with butter and slowly melted down to drizzle over before serving?

BTW for garlic butter yer better roasting the garlic first. Fire the bulbs into the oven whole. When you cut it open its like a paste and isn't as sharp as just mixing it raw with the butter and parsley. Last few times I've just bought garlic butter from tesco tbh. Lot less fancying around, and just as good. Perfect shape for making Keiv's too. 

I made spicy sausage and bean casserole today at work. Very very simple but is a big favourite. Served with warm ciabatta. 

Edited by Angus_Young

17 minutes ago, wheres the pies said:

hello the resident tamb chef how are you ? not having this tonight but for later in week time after time l always muck up when it comes to the perfect pork crackling so please could be so kind as to guiding me how to getting it right  and what kind of wine would have with said pork ? ?

Just away to tuck in but would suggest a pinot noir. Had the same issue but have crack(ling)ed it now so will get back to you soon. :cheers3:

We tried a couple of culinary experiments at the weekend.  Both came out great.

Sat night. - Chilli Nachos.  Made my champions league chilli.  Involves cooking down the mince for some considerable time and adding carefully selected herbs and spices, lots of garlic and then the usual chilli ingredients.  Dark Chocolate is also involved.  Also, as a wee twist, put chicken thighs in the oven, once well cooked and crisped up, shred them and add to the chilli.  Pour the chilli over the nachos and add cheese, and put back in oven to melt cheese. Marvelous. Served with a Margaux and followed by quite a lot of Angostura 1919 Rum.

Sun Late afternoon - Chicken Broth.  Chicken  thighs and legs in a large casserole dish with heaps of baby vine tomatoes, carrots, onions, garlic, celery, one potato, butter beans, samphire, seasoning and herb.  Shove in oven for at least a few hours - serve with hot buttered bread (which dips into the broth nicely).  Again marvelous.  Served with a chilled Picpoul.

Now on soup for the rest of the week!

19 hours ago, killiefaetheferry said:

sous-vide is french for boil in a bag?

Edited by phart