Favourite away stadium as a Scotland fan? - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Favourite away stadium as a Scotland fan?

bonzo

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

34 minutes ago, McToot said:

I'd love to go back to Moldova and see how it's changed. I spent £70 in 3 days, incl losing about £25 which I hid in my sock so the local police couldn't take it from me. 

Agree for the same reason.

Ground we played in was flattened few years after our visit and national team now play in the Zimbru Stadium (very smart looking little ground, but tiny!)

Been to many cheap places, but Moldova was just ridiculous! Took £50 out on first day thinking would be more than enough for a day.... going home still with £30 of that original transaction, and at the bus station trying to get shot of it in the shop by buying half their stock and not even making a dent in it!

Edited by wanderer

10 hours ago, Tom1172 said:

Another for the Westfalenstadion fan club. Was in the top tier & I have never heard Flower of Scotland sung like that.

the half time rendition of Sweet Caroline from both sets of fans was magic. Dortmund is the best stadium I have visited so far as well. 

Zagreb was special for the result and Warsaw was very impressive (decent 1-0 win in the friendly, still gutted we didn't hold on for the win in the group game)

San Siro not great, we were too high up the players were like wee dots . I know it's going back a bit but never been in a stadium or atmosphere to match Genoa in 1990 . The Olympic Stadium in Rome  in 93 was also pretty impressive , I think there were only 485 official Travel Club members there , changed days !

21 minutes ago, Gala Tartan Army (Borders) said:

San Siro not great, we were too high up the players were like wee dots . I know it's going back a bit but never been in a stadium or atmosphere to match Genoa in 1990 . The Olympic Stadium in Rome  in 93 was also pretty impressive , I think there were only 485 official Travel Club members there , changed days !

When did the Travel Club actually start ? Must have been around then ?

1 hour ago, Gala Tartan Army (Borders) said:

The Olympic Stadium in Rome  in 93 , I think there were only 485 official Travel Club members there , changed days !

I was one of them!

The size of the support was probably lower than it would normally have been as we were already out.

There were also three other away qualifiers that year as well.  For the last game in Malta the following month there was a much bigger support but I think that probably had a lot to do with people looking a cheap winter sun holiday.   Also the game where all STC members who travelled got a warning letter from Jim Farry over the conduc at the U21s.  I gave my STC scarf to a bar in Buggiba after the game.  Might go back in May and see if it's still there, I'll be amazed if the bar is still there let alone scarf  

Warsaw, Dortmund, Emirates, Wembley etc are all great stadiums but nothing will ever compare to the old Hampden packed out atmosphere wise.

I spoke to an englander who told me that he went to the match at Hampden in the late 80's and swore there were English fans crying through fear ! He mentioned something about the whole stadium chanting " send the bassas over here " towards them when the Police went in the away end. 

Surprising best atmosphere was at Fulham, brilliant day and night and the noise was superb ! 

Best stadium....Dortmund. 

On 25/02/2016 at 3:56 PM, wanderer said:

Moldova was a death trap! From what I recall everyone had to enter through the one gate that was about 10 foot wide, but barricaded so you could only enter 1 by 1, and they when there was a bit of a crush starting to happen the local police decided that they needed to drive this massive tank of a armored police car through this gate.

Annoying as for months we were told that the game would be at Sheriff Tiraspols 5 star state of the art stadium, but game had to moved to a ground that makes most lower league Junior grounds look like Wembley.

The entrance into Heysel for the last Belgium game genuinely put the fear of god into me for the first time in years. Worse than Lithuania. 

Narrow street into the ground, only a few turnstiles open, it was dark and loads of stupid random multiple checks by the Belgian Police done at very strange places such as at the top of a set of steps - where people were beginning to get squeezed unnecessarily.

16 hours ago, jock strap said:

Warsaw, Dortmund, Emirates, Wembley etc are all great stadiums but nothing will ever compare to the old Hampden packed out atmosphere wise.

I spoke to an englander who told me that he went to the match at Hampden in the late 80's and swore there were English fans crying through fear ! He mentioned something about the whole stadium chanting " send the bassas over here " towards them when the Police went in the away end. 

Surprising best atmosphere was at Fulham, brilliant day and night and the noise was superb ! 

Best stadium....Dortmund. 

Fulham was good till they upped the price of a pint for no reason!! Cheeky bar stewards...

Dortmund is a proper football stadium, so that would be my number one for football atmosphere/experience etc on a Scotland trip. But other faves include Wembley (old and new), Olympic in Rome, Warsaw, Emirates and I also liked the Kobe Wing Stadium. But fave stadium I ever watched a football match in is the Azteca in Mexico city.

But I also love the sheer shittiness of stadiums like the Republican in Chisinau, the Svangaskard in Toftir and the St Dariaus & St Gireno in Kaunas because football's all about experiencing these places, so for me there's no such thing as a shit/bad stadium. Dangerous, yes, but not shit.

17 hours ago, Notts Bankie said:

The entrance into Heysel for the last Belgium game genuinely put the fear of god into me for the first time in years. Worse than Lithuania. 

Narrow street into the ground, only a few turnstiles open, it was dark and loads of stupid random multiple checks by the Belgian Police done at very strange places such as at the top of a set of steps - where people were beginning to get squeezed unnecessarily.

I found the entrance much better than it was on the previous visit...

5 hours ago, dougiemacfarlanearran said:

Fulham was good till they upped the price of a pint for no reason!! Cheeky bar stewards...

2 hours ago, jock strap said:

It's a laaandaaan fing mate :P

I remember the queue for the beer stand at HT being about 10 times the length of the queue for food & soft drinks :lol::beer2:

We left 5 mins before HT to beat the queues and missed their equalizer. We then decided we would squeeze in a 2nd beer and ended up missing Scotland's 2nd goal!