U17s - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

U17s

LewisEDI

I do sometimes have suspicions on the credibility of the call-ups at Youth levels. It sometimes looks more like playing for an obscure club (plays in England or abroad) or playing for the Old Firm earns a place in the squad before anyone has even seen them play. Almost like they are picked from a database.

I could be wrong though and maybe we did send someone down to Norwich or Brighton to take a look.

On ‎28‎/‎02‎/‎2016 at 9:05 AM, braveheart_lynch said:

I do sometimes have suspicions on the credibility of the call-ups at Youth levels. It sometimes looks more like playing for an obscure club (plays in England or abroad) or playing for the Old Firm earns a place in the squad before anyone has even seen them play. Almost like they are picked from a database.

I could be wrong though and maybe we did send someone down to Norwich or Brighton to take a look.

Does seem like if you play for Reading them you are a shoe in for the squad at times haha

I think Reading was bleed dry a while ago... agree that for a while it did look like they provided half the squad, but think only 2 or 3 of them make squad with Dominic Hyam and Harry Caldwell regulars in squads (both are good players, with Hyam probably the better one) and some times Zak Jules making the odd one (but that is the SFA stone age mentality that he picked based on that he is a 18 years old going on 25 who is built like Mike Tyson in his prime!) .

Thing is, a lot of these "obscure" clubs do actually snap up young Scottish players..... my cousin started out in Ayr United youth team, before going down south to train with Arsenal and eventually being snapped up by Notts County (and he said there was about 6 or 7 other Scottish kids there at the same time)... some make it, most just head back up the road (my cousin went back to Ayr United after 2 seasons at County, then dropped into the Juniors, with just a brief period at Airdrie, before setting for the Juniors again).

I think this is a slowly changing trend though, as most are probably staying here in Scotland, rather than chase the bright lights, as the youth team squads these days seem to be full of players from Rangers and Celtic (who will arguably have the bigger youth team set up's, so provide the more players) along with Aberdeen, Hearts and Killie providing their fair share (Queens Park have provided a large number over the years as their youth system is massive, but just a case when the kids actually want to be paid for playing, any player of note they produce is snapped up elsewhere)

Edited by wanderer

Last summer during pre-season Maidenhead United played Reading's U21s in a friendly.  I went along primarily to see if some of the young Scots were playing.  Reading played a different 11 in each half so everyone got a run out.  It was quiet a feisty game for a pre-season bearing in mind there is a bit of local rivalry and the Magpies team was full of experienced semi-pro players.   Cardwell and Hyam didn't particularly stand out.  Hyam was on the other side from where I was and had a steady half, no more, no less.  I thought Cardwell looked a bit lightweight up front but given it was literally boys against men, I wouldn't hold that against him.

The player who stood out for me though was Tom McIntyre at the back who looked comfortable on the ball and good in the air despite being of average height, more so given the strength and physique of the opposition and the fact that he was still 16 at that point.  Good to see the technique there, the strength will come as he gets older.

I see he's been injured this season and hasn't played much, I hope that doesn't set his development back too much.   I'm not saying he's the answer at Centre Back, far from it but he's definitely someone I'll be looking out for in future. 

16 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Thing is, a lot of these "obscure" clubs do actually snap up young Scottish players..... my cousin started out in Ayr United youth team, before going down south to train with Arsenal and eventually being snapped up by Notts County (and he said there was about 6 or 7 other Scottish kids there at the same time)... some make it, most just head back up the road (my cousin went back to Ayr United after 2 seasons at County, then dropped into the Juniors, with just a brief period at Airdrie, before setting for the Juniors again).

In Reading's case I don't think any of these guys are born in Scotland.  I suspect that there is someone either at Reading or in the area who is actively "scouting" them for the SFA.   No idea who that is, pre-dates Clarkey certainly.   Could potentially be a Mark McGhee connection I guess.  Its a long time since he was manager there but he's well thought of and maybe has connections in the academy.

6 minutes ago, aaid said:

In Reading's case I don't think any of these guys are born in Scotland.  I suspect that there is someone either at Reading or in the area who is actively "scouting" them for the SFA.   No idea who that is, pre-dates Clarkey certainly.   Could potentially be a Mark McGhee connection I guess.  Its a long time since he was manager there but he's well thought of and maybe has connections in the academy.

A lot of these Reading kids were deep into the system long before Clarke arrived there.

Probably through Michael Oliver who basically went to EVERY club to scout out players (think he was let go a year ago) that the vast majority were found.

U17 captain Liam Burt made his first team debut for Rangers last night, coming on as a substitute after about 75 mins. He had one shot from about 20 yards at an angle which went about a yard over the crossbar and generally did ok.

Gilmour in the squad for the Elite round of the U17 qualifiers

Goalkeepers          
Aidan McAdams (Celtic)    
Kieran Wright (Rangers)    

Defenders          
Daniel Baur (Heart of Midlothian)    
Dan Meredith (West Bromwich Albion)    
Tony Gallacher (Falkirk)    
Wallace Duffy (Celtic)    
Jason Krones (Rangers)    

Midfielders          
Fraser Hornby (Everton)    
Liam Burt (Rangers)    
Kyle McAllister (St Mirren)    
Charlie Gilmour (Arsenal)    
Jack Thomson (Rangers)    
Broque Watson (Celtic)    

Forwards          
Glenn Middleton (Norwich City)    
Jack Aitchison (Celtic)    
Lewis Morrison (Kilmarnock)    
Connor McLennan (Aberdeen)

• 4 weeks later...

Squad announced for the championships

Scotland under-17 squad:

Goalkeepers        
Aidan McAdams (Celtic)    
Kieran Wright (Rangers)    

Defenders        
Daniel Baur (Heart of Midlothian)    
Dan Meredith (West Bromwich Albion)    
Tony Gallacher (Falkirk)    
Liam Hegarty (Middlesbrough)    
Aidan Wilson (Rangers)    

Midfielders        
Fraser Hornby (Everton)
Liam Burt (Rangers)    
Kyle McAllister (St Mirren)    
Jordan Holsgrove (Reading)    
Jack Thomson (Rangers)    
Broque Watson (Celtic)    

Forwards        
Zak Rudden (Rangers)    
Jack Aitchison (Celtic)    
Lewis Morrison (Kilmarnock)    
Connor McLennan (Aberdeen)    
Jack Adamson (Rangers)    

Group A Fixtures (all KOs in local time):

Thursday 5 May

Belgium v Scotland 
8km Stadium, kick-off 7 pm

Azerbaijan v Portugal
Baku Olympic Stadium, kick-off 8 pm Live on Eurosport

Sunday 8 May

Portugal v Scotland
Dalga Arena, kick-off 3.30 pm Live on Eurosport 2

Azerbaijan v Belgium
8km Stadium, kick-off 7 pm

Wednesday 11 May

Scotland v Azerbaijan
8km Stadium, kick-off 4 pm 

Portugal v Belgium 
Dalga Arena, kick-off 4 pm Live on Eurosport 2

Quarter-finals: 14/15 May (8km Stadium, Dalga Arena)

Semi-finals: 18 May (Baku Olympic Stadium)

Final: 21 May (Baku Olympic Stadium)