One for the Hibs fans - Alan Stubbs - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

One for the Hibs fans - Alan Stubbs

Don't think that Stubbs would get sacked if we don't go up. Winning a cup might buy him more time, but biggest priority is to go up via the playoffs. Can't see us winning the league now. 

If we don't go up, the better players such as Hanlon, Cummings, McGinn won't want to hang around for another year in championship and the loan players be away as well. Stubbs might decide to have a look around at other jobs probably down south. 

I'm still not convinced by him as we still look a bit one paced and predictable always trying to play through the middle. The media have bigged us up after the performances against Hearts but many the games I seen this year have been a struggle. 

What are the dates for the play offs...

Last year the Cup Final and Play offs were same week were they not.

Will the SFA Hibbs it up again.

Thats if Hibs get to cup Final of course.

could also be a problem if Rangers get to final and drop down in league  (unlikely, but possible) 

image: http://spfl.co.uk/docs/067_324__ball_1415626738_standard.jpg

ball

The dates for the SPFL play-offs in May have now been confirmed, although they are subject to change for live TV coverage.

Scottish Premiership play-offs

Saturday May 9, 2015
Premiership play-off quarter-final, 1st leg

Wednesday May 13, 2015
Premiership play-off quarter-final, 2nd leg

Saturday May 16, 2015
Premiership play-off semi-final, 1st leg

Saturday May 23, 2015
Premiership play-off semi-final, 2nd leg

Thursday May 28, 2015
Premiership play-off final, 1st leg

Sunday May 31, 2015
Premiership play-off final, 2nd leg

Scottish Championship play-offs

Wednesday May 6, 2015
Championship play-off semi-finals, 1st leg

Saturday May 9, 2015
Championship play-off semi-finals, 2nd leg

Wednesday May 13, 2015
Championship play-off final, 1st leg

Saturday May 16, 2015
Championship play-off final, 2nd leg

Scottish League 1 play-offs

Wednesday May 6, 2015
League 1 play-off semi-finals, 1st leg

Saturday May 9, 2015
League 1 play-off semi-finals, 2nd leg

Wednesday May 13, 2015
League 1 play-off final, 1st leg

Saturday May 16, 2015
League 1 play-off final, 2nd leg

Pyramid play-off

Saturday May 9, 2015
Pyramid play-off final, 1st leg

Saturday May 16, 2015
Pyramid play-off final, 2nd leg

Play-off dates subject to change for live TV coverage

22 minutes ago, Langtonian said:

image: http://spfl.co.uk/docs/067_324__ball_1415626738_standard.jpg

ball

The dates for the SPFL play-offs in May have now been confirmed, although they are subject to change for live TV coverage.

Scottish Premiership play-offs

Saturday May 9, 2015
Premiership play-off quarter-final, 1st leg

Wednesday May 13, 2015
Premiership play-off quarter-final, 2nd leg

Saturday May 16, 2015
Premiership play-off semi-final, 1st leg

Saturday May 23, 2015
Premiership play-off semi-final, 2nd leg

Thursday May 28, 2015
Premiership play-off final, 1st leg

Sunday May 31, 2015
Premiership play-off final, 2nd leg

W

Those are last years date Mr Tonian...

Scottish Cup Final 

SAT 21ST.....  

11 Premiership play-off semi-final, 1st leg
11 Championship play-off final, 1st leg
11 League 1 play-off final, 1st leg
14/15 Ladbrokes Premiership fixture round 38
14 Premiership play-off semi-final, 2nd leg
14 League 1 play-off final, 2nd leg
14 League 2 play-off final, 2nd leg
15 Championship play-off final, 2nd leg
18 Europa League final (Basel)
19 Premiership play-off final, 1st leg
21 Scottish Cup Final
21 FA Cup Final
22 Premiership play-off final, 2nd leg

So Hibs or Rangers in play off first leg Thursday 

Cup Final on Saturday

Play off final 2nd leg on Sunday 

The sfa will be hoping Hibs and Rangers get knocked out...

mm Problems might arise here...

6 hours ago, stocky said:

Those are last years date Mr Tonian...

Scottish Cup Final 

SAT 21ST.....  

11 Premiership play-off semi-final, 1st leg
11 Championship play-off final, 1st leg
11 League 1 play-off final, 1st leg
14/15 Ladbrokes Premiership fixture round 38
14 Premiership play-off semi-final, 2nd leg
14 League 1 play-off final, 2nd leg
14 League 2 play-off final, 2nd leg
15 Championship play-off final, 2nd leg
18 Europa League final (Basel)
19 Premiership play-off final, 1st leg
21 Scottish Cup Final
21 FA Cup Final
22 Premiership play-off final, 2nd leg

So Hibs or Rangers in play off first leg Thursday 

Cup Final on Saturday

Play off final 2nd leg on Sunday 

The sfa will be hoping Hibs and Rangers get knocked out...

mm Problems might arise here...

Lol,so they are Mr Ocky

8 hours ago, Cove_Sheep said:

If you don't go up in the play-offs, does he get a third crack at getting promotion?

I've been having this argument with a couple of people the last week or so. If he keeps a cup down with us then absolutely, you can't sack a manager immediately after he has won a cup. If no cup and no promotion then the season a complete and utter dismal failure.

Theres a very, very fine line between success and failure 

15 minutes ago, DoonTheSlope said:

I've been having this argument with a couple of people the last week or so. If he keeps a cup down with us then absolutely, you can't sack a manager immediately after he has won a cup. If no cup and no promotion then the season a complete and utter dismal failure.

Theres a very, very fine line between success and failure 

From an outsiders perspective I'd say that's about right. Twenty four hours ago I'd have said it was entirely academic, they are more than good enough to beat whoever ends up in the play offs anyway. Can't have too many performances like last night though from what I've heard. 

I'm sure Rangers thought they were more than good enough in the play off v Motherwell last year and they got spanked. 

Yes Hibs have done well this year v Premier teams in the cup games but we do not look convincing in the bread and butter league games.  Too narrow in midfield, not scoring as many as we should, lack of pace, dodgy keeper (again). Playing holding midfielders at home in games we should be on the front foot. 

Thomson coming back I was never sure about, as emergency cover, maybe but he not got the legs anymore, ok to bring on to keep the ball and control the pace to close out a game

Unless we go up then it's a failure, not entirely Stubbs fault due to years of mis management and the circumstances of having Hearts and Rangers in the same league .

it won't be much easier next season as I would think Dundee Utd will improve and Falkirk are a good team who will probably get better

A disappointing result last night, because it's effectively committed Hibs to two tricky play-off ties. 

Off the top of my head, I seem to remember that games between Hibs and Falkirk have been really evenly balanced this season ? 

As pointed out, it's a fine line. Win the Scottish, and obviously whatever happens in the league the season is looked upon as a success. Win the League cup but stay down...could that be looked upon as a success ?

A 3rd consecutive season in the lower leagues could have financial repercussions for Hibs I'd imagine.

Hibs decent cup form bodes well for the play offs I suppose.

All the pressure on Hibs though, particularly in the 1st game (presuming they finish 2nd).

The culture of bottling it that hangs like a black cloud over Easter road has to be a negative though!

7 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

All the pressure on Hibs though, particularly in the 1st game (presuming they finish 2nd).

The culture of bottling it that hangs like a black cloud over Easter road has to be a negative though!

The advantage they have is that in the Championship they're less likely to go on some mental 16 game losing run up until the end of the season, thereby going into the play-offs shot of confidence.

I still believe they'll go up but as both Rangers and Hibs saw last season, the play-offs are fraught with difficulties. 

5 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

Is the bottling bit statistically true in recent years? Any more than other teams? Won their last League Cup final, two of  last three  Scottish Cup semis and knocked out Hearts in both SC ties since 2012 final so not done too badly in their big games.

7 hours ago, ironbrew said:

Is the bottling bit statistically true in recent years? Any more than other teams? Won their last League Cup final, two of  last three  Scottish Cup semis and knocked out Hearts in both SC ties since 2012 final so not done too badly in their big games.

Not sure what the correct term is? There is a fragility about hibs, and has been for a long time. Looking back to the 6-6 game at fir park hibs were 6-2 up, and could've lost.

You try and find a Motherwell fan that left at 6-2, I've never heard of any that did, as it was hibs, and you knew if you got a goal their arse would collapse.

that was maybe a freak game, but I felt it highlighted the fragile nature of hibs that was already apparent as far back as that.

12 hours ago, kumnio said:

Anyone else not get the Stubbs admiration thing? Dont quite understand why BBC Scotland drool over him.

They drool over most managers/players on Radio Scotland, mostly because they are all pals of them. Check Chick Young's interview with Strachan couple of months ago. Did not ask him one searching question about failure to get a play off position. I think Strachan give him the questions to ask.

8 hours ago, ironbrew said:

I'd say their arse falling out their shorts against Hamilton in the play offs is a pretty spectacular recent occasion of their bottle crashing in some style!  To a lesser extent you could also say the same about the play off v Rangers last season.  We were a truly awful team and Hibs should probably have beaten us over the 2 legs.

3 hours ago, EddardStark said:

Its absolutely vital we avoid the play offs. They are weighted in favor of the top flight teams.

You're completely correct.  I like the 4th plays 3rd plays 2nd model as that benefits teams that have finished higher up the league.

Play-offs should be for promotion only, they should relegate two teams and promote two.

It'll never happen though as its turkeys voting for Christmas.