Gazza - Page 5 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

3 hours ago, RenfrewBlue said:

I agree that the flute playing was stupid and potentially inflammatory, especially the second time. I'm also agreeing that Gazza's lack of intelligence is no excuse. 

I'm just asking is miming playing a flute actually a bigoted action?  I'm just not sure it is. It's not like it's a well known derogatory taunt for a historical atrocity. 

2 hours ago, phart said:

Playing the flute isn't bigoted, playing the flute an instrument in this context used to represent the religious supremacy of Protestants over Catholics could be construed as such.

Very well summed up phart. It's all about the context. Someone walking down the street playing Frere Jacques on a flute isn't bigoted. Someone walking down the street, in an OL band, playing The Sash is. Given the fact that Gazza was obviously  mimicking the latter then he is, IMO, performing a bigoted action.

3 hours ago, RenfrewBlue said:

The other similar event that springs to mind is the Hearts fans throwing bananas at Mark Walters. Very little gets said about that though. An event that many are happy to sweep under the carpet and possibly worse than Gazza.

I don't think they were similar. In one instance, there is debate on whether the person performing the act was in the wrong, as this thread has proved. In the case of Walters I would question anyone's mentality who argued the abuse Walters got a Scottish football grounds, certainly Tynecastle and Parkhead, was anything but shameful. A very dark (no pun intended) period for Scottish football. 

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

Very well summed up phart. It's all about the context. Someone walking down the street playing Frere Jacques on a flute isn't bigoted. Someone walking down the street, in an OL band, playing The Sash is. Given the fact that Gazza was obviously  mimicking the latter then he is, IMO, performing a bigoted action.

I don't think they were similar. In one instance, there is debate on whether the person performing the act was in the wrong, as this thread has proved. In the case of Walters I would question anyone's mentality who argued the abuse Walters got a Scottish football grounds, certainly Tynecastle and Parkhead, was anything but shameful. A very dark (no pun intended) period for Scottish football. 

Yeah, there's no grey area with that one.

(colour wasn't a great thing to use in that analogy, but couldn't think of a better one.)

52 minutes ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

Not really. It's inflammatory but can't see how that can be construed as bigoted.

I've not read most of this thread so my comment may be ill informed but the bit you stated is incorrect IMO.

2 hours ago, Fermer said:

Stop apologising mate. these gits hate us and call us everything under the sun. U will never change that. Ian Durrant forever. And Scotland. Whay oh why are these people like that?  U and I and all other gers fans have never been offensive to any other fan of club on this site. And not you cove btw but u must be emabarssed by way of yon git that is more bigotted than any rangers or celtic fan. He hasnt got a nice word for anyone.. So dont apologise. You tell truth and seem like lovely guy.

But you are the people. You are Rangers, super Rangers. No one likes you and you don't care. 

1 hour ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

Serious question as I can't remember and don't actually know the lyrics but is the Sash a bigoted song, like The Billy Boys? 

Is it on the proscribed list?

I had a vague memory it wasn't. I'd be surprised if any of the tunes the OL bands play are bigoted in and of themselves as that would allow the police to stop the marching surely?

1 hour ago, fringo said:

I somehow managed to get my text into the quote from Dalgety Bay TA

What I said :

Not really. It's inflammatory but can't see how that can be construed as bigoted.

I've not read most of this thread so my comment may be ill informed but the bit you stated is incorrect IMO.

10 hours ago, RenfrewBlue said:

Serious question as I can't remember and don't actually know the lyrics but is the Sash a bigoted song, like The Billy Boys? 

Is it on the proscribed list?

I had a vague memory it wasn't. I'd be surprised if any of the tunes the OL bands play are bigoted in and of themselves as that would allow the police to stop the marching surely?

The song itself probably isn't.  The add-ons most definitely are!

10 hours ago, Ormond said:
35 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

The song itself probably isn't.  The add-ons most definitely are!

I dont think the sash or derry's walls are bigoted.  I have said in a previous thread I dont thnk these two songs are any worse than some of songs I sing about Wallace, Bannockburn etc.  Thats what the OL and protestant minded want to remember and celebrate.  Other songs about hatred and up to knees etc are banned as far as I know. Think yon famine song is too.  Watched Noah last night on netflix.  Religion has a lot to answer for in this world.

7 minutes ago, Fermer said:

I dont think the sash or derry's walls are bigoted.  I have said in a previous thread I dont thnk these two songs are any worse than some of songs I sing about Wallace, Bannockburn etc.  Thats what the OL and protestant minded want to remember and celebrate.  Other songs about hatred and up to knees etc are banned as far as I know. Think yon famine song is too.  Watched Noah last night on netflix.  Religion has a lot to answer for in this world.

Crap film by the way.

13 hours ago, Fermer said:

Stop apologising mate. these gits hate us and call us everything under the sun. U will never change that. Ian Durrant forever. And Scotland. Whay oh why are these people like that?  U and I and all other gers fans have never been offensive to any other fan of club on this site. And not you cove btw but u must be emabarssed by way of yon git that is more bigotted than any rangers or celtic fan. He hasnt got a nice word for anyone.. So dont apologise. You tell truth and seem like lovely guy.

What? :lol: 

I'm intrigued who Cove should be embarrassed of that is "more bigotted than any rangers or celtic fan...." 

14 hours ago, Haggis McBasher said:

Not necessarily, no.

Just like putting your arm straight in the air like a Nazi salute or making monkey gestures (my 1 year old does this when you ask him what a monkey does) aren't necessarily either. It's all about the situation I suppose 

This particular situation had Gazza surrounded by anti catholic bigots, so I can understand why people are saying that it was (bigoted).

But really, if we're being honest, who cares either way?

Obviously the people on this thread care.

6 minutes ago, Haggis McBasher said:

I'd be surprised if they genuinely do

5 pages? Sorry u nearly had me there lol.  Anyway i think gazza would have been most likely drunk at the flute playing incidents.  Surely thats some kind of excuse?/? :huh:

On 2 March 2016 at 3:54 AM, sbcmfc said:

Is playing an imaginary flute really bigotry though?

That's the point I can't get my head round.

In isolation, no. Although it's daft to wind up fans who don't need much of an excuse to start bother.

His singing recently could be described as bigoted though. 

• 4 months later...
28 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

I don't think he'll ever be on the mend, until he checks out. Seen him speaking recently and he was quite frank about it all. Says he can go months without a drop but knows fine well that the next 'trigger' is round the corner and he'll hammer it again. 

Sad to see, but he is just one of millions the world over, destroying themselves like this. The most talented footballer I've ever seen playing in Scotland. 

On 3/2/2016 at 0:43 AM, RenfrewBlue said:

The other similar event that springs to mind is the Hearts fans throwing bananas at Mark Walters. Very little gets said about that though. An event that many are happy to sweep under the carpet and possibly worse than Gazza.

Celtic fans threw bananas onto the pitch when Mark Walters made his Rangers debut at Celtic Park. 

On 11 July 2016 at 1:53 PM, Angus_Young said:

I don't think he'll ever be on the mend, until he checks out. Seen him speaking recently and he was quite frank about it all. Says he can go months without a drop but knows fine well that the next 'trigger' is round the corner and he'll hammer it again. 

Sad to see, but he is just one of millions the world over, destroying themselves like this. The most talented footballer I've ever seen playing in Scotland. 

seen him the other week in Bournemouth town center and actually said to him that was looking well shame for him 

2 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

Celtic fans threw bananas onto the pitch when Mark Walters made his Rangers debut at Celtic Park. 

that is never mentioned, just the Hearts fans (think it was the week after Parkhead IIRC). I was at the game and everyone was killing themselves laughing about the bananas. Fast forward a few decades and it's hard to believe. 

3 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

Reactions to it, like Archie's in that clip, make it little wonder it happened.

Same with the way the TV commentators praise and talk up an atmosphere when it's basically poisonous filth.

On 13/07/2016 at 5:18 PM, dipped flake said:

that is never mentioned, just the Hearts fans (think it was the week after Parkhead IIRC). I was at the game and everyone was killing themselves laughing about the bananas. Fast forward a few decades and it's hard to believe. 

Funny. That's the one I see mentioned the most and I haven't seen Hearts being properly criticised for their fans actions. 

In my opinion the Hearts fans were worse as there were more and they were trying to hit Walters as he took a corner. 

On 13 July 2016 at 5:18 PM, dipped flake said:

Walters went on a mazy run just after the bananas at Tynie and got a penalty.  Remember Wilkins putting his arm around him and giving a GIRFUY to the shed.