Gazza - Page 2 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Parklife said:

Bigoted, wife beating cretin in behaving like a cretin shocker. 

An utter scumbag of a man. I've always been baffled at his apparent popularity

I'm interested.  What makes him a bigot? 

1 hour ago, RenfrewBlue said:

I'm interested.  What makes him a bigot? 

He's a simpleton who plays up to the crowd by doing/saying bigoted things.  I've had the argument with Parkie before that I genuinely don't think Gazza is a bigot and things like the flute playing back in the day was just a clown looking for a laugh with a bit of ignorance thrown in for good measure however it gets harder and harder to defend him when he's still doing things like this 20 years later.

I've met Gazza once and had a couple of minutes of his time, very intriguing individual who seemed to love the company of people but seemed on edge.

I feel sorry for him, I know lots of his issues are self inflicted but he was a great entertainer on the football pitch.

He needs help the man. I know he's had numerous opportunities and the offer of assistance and blown them all ( eventually ), but he is an ill man at the end of the day and I can't help but feel sorry for him in a way.

just to point out the obvious, I don't condone or support his acts of violence and other shenanigans that he has been involved in. :blink:

2 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

He's a simpleton who plays up to the crowd by doing/saying bigoted things.  I've had the argument with Parkie before that I genuinely don't think Gazza is a bigot and things like the flute playing back in the day was just a clown looking for a laugh with a bit of ignorance thrown in for good measure however it gets harder and harder to defend him when he's still doing things like this 20 years later.

This is kind of my point. I don't know of any bigotry perpetrated by Gazza other than the singing. Now admittedly that's bad enough but does that make him a bigot or a crowd pleasing fool?

I don't think someone with the issues Gazza has can be judged as you would any average guy in the street.

He is not the brightest of people and I doubt the alcohol has helped improve his thought process. Regarding the bigotry, well he himself admits that the flute playing on the pitch, the first time he didn't really know what he was doing but the second time he certainly did. I doubt he could use being pissed as an excuse that time. 

13 hours ago, Parklife said:

Bigoted, wife beating cretin in behaving like a cretin shocker. 

An utter scumbag of a man. I've always been baffled at his apparent popularity

Before the Brazil game in 98 in The Auld Alliance(I think it's called) in Paris all the Scotland fans were singing "She's black and blue, Sheryl's black and blue..." 

2 hours ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

He is not the brightest of people and I doubt the alcohol has helped improve his thought process. Regarding the bigotry, well he himself admits that the flute playing on the pitch, the first time he didn't really know what he was doing but the second time he certainly did. I doubt he could use being pissed as an excuse that time. 

So miming playing a flute is bigoted? What about actually playing one?

8 hours ago, RenfrewBlue said:

So miming playing a flute is bigoted? What about actually playing one?

If it's playing Frere Jacques then no, if it's The Sash then yes, probably.

I would love to hear your explanation of how the miming of playing a flute on the pitch at an OF game was actually a completely innocent action as that's what your obviously heading towards with the above question. So please, go ahead, humour me.....

8 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

That's a fair point.

Is that "our" problem more than his? Putting it like that makes it seem pretty pathetic that it caused such a stir!

You probably think the OL bands that stomp around our streets in the summer are just good ole boys playing some nice folk ditties and it's the one who are offended by them that have that actual problem. 

45 minutes ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

If it's playing Frere Jacques then no, if it's The Sash then yes, probably.

I would love to hear your explanation of how the miming of playing a flute on the pitch at an OF game was actually a completely innocent action as that's what your obviously heading towards with the above question. So please, go ahead, humour me.....

I'm not saying it was an innocent action. I also don't believe it was a bigoted action.

Gazza is not the brightest, I think we can all agree on that. I think he saw it as a wind up. Which to be fair, worked a treat for him. 

You've said he's a bigot and used the flute thing as an example. Is that and his pathetic singing the other night all there is?

Hardly Andy Goram class, is it?

Forgot to ask. Is playing the big bass drum bigoted too?

Edited by RenfrewBlue

38 minutes ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

You probably think the OL bands that stomp around our streets in the summer are just good ole boys playing some nice folk ditties and it's the one who are offended by them that have that actual problem. 

Making stuff up again? 

The OL are a total anachronism that should be done away with in the modern world. Sadly, however,  free speech comes with a price. 

People can say things that offend you and that's allowed unless it's illegal.

If you're offended by them then you do have a problem. They're the most pathetic people I've ever met and their beliefs are at best laughable. 

I'm not saying it was an innocent action. I also don't believe it was a bigoted action.

Gazza is not the brightest, I think we can all agree on that. I think he saw it as a wind up. Which to be fair, worked a treat for him. 

You've said he's a bigot and used the flute thing as an example. Is that and his pathetic singing the other night all there is?

Hardly Andy Goram class, is it?

Forgot to ask. Is playing the big bass drum bigoted too?

I do like how you "think" for Gazza yet are happy to ignore his actual comments on the incident. A true apologist.

I said he was a bigot? Please, for a man who is happy to throw about the "making stuff up" jibe, show me where I said that. 

I can see where you are going with the instruments thing, again, deflection. For the record, I think anyone who plays an instrument in an OL band is a bigot. You can continue wheeling off instruments for as long as you want but if you want to deny that anyone playing them in that context isn't, well it says a lot about you.

Making stuff up again? 

The OL are a total anachronism that should be done away with in the modern world. Sadly, however,  free speech comes with a price. 

People can say things that offend you and that's allowed unless it's illegal.

If you're offended by them then you do have a problem. They're the most pathetic people I've ever met and their beliefs are at best laughable. 

Ahh the classic offend/illegal argument to muddy the waters again. Wondered how long that would take to come out.

Again, for the record, I am happy with free speech, I am not offended by OL bands in the slightest but that doesn't mean I can't think those who  are in them are bigots.

The "its not their problem, its yours" is a classic though, well done, full house.

Edited by Dalgety Bay TA

13 minutes ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

I do like how you "think" for Gazza yet are happy to ignore his actual comments on the incident. A true apologist.

I said he was a bigot? Please, for a man who is happy to throw about the "making stuff up" jibe, show me where I said that. 

I can see where you are going with the instruments thing, again, deflection. For the record, I think anyone who plays an instrument in an OL band is a bigot. You can continue wheeling off instruments for as long as you want but if you want to deny that anyone playing them in that context isn't, well it says a lot about you.

Ahh the classic offend/illegal argument to muddy the waters again. Wondered how long that would take to come out.

Again, for the record, I am happy with free speech, I am not offended by OL bands in the slightest but that doesn't mean I can't think those who  are in them are bigots.

The "its not their problem, its yours" is a classic though, well done, full house.

So playing an instrument in an OL band makes you a bigot?

I'd say you don't understand the definition of the term then. 

I'm apologising for them? Can you read?

Just to utterly clear, I would like to see the OL banned. A sad institution that is a blight on this country. I'd also like to ban all of their band marches etc the world over. 

However the law of the land says we can't. We have to suffer them because they skate the line and mostly keep just the right side of it.

You seem to believe that because it offends you it should be banned. Tough. The world isn't yours to decide on.

You have said that the action of miming playing a flute is bigoted and I disagree. I think you're looking to be offended and it's quite sad.

Further up this thread you'll see the TA sang a song mocking Gazza's domestic abuse of his wife. I find that offensive. As I'm sure she would have. Yet you have said nothing about that. 

We're you offended by the anti-English chants at the recent games or the various other ditties sung by members of our own support or do you just not like Gazza? 

And again for clarity, I really don't like him. His footballing ability excuses nothing in my book.