Gazza - Page 4 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

11 hours ago, Parklife said:

Some top notch utter shite you've posted there, well done. 

The old "Gazza's just daft, he doesn't really mean it" is a belter of an apology for him being a scumbag. I'm sure he was just having a laugh with Sheryl playfighting too... 

The guy is a grade-A scumbag. You can make apologies for him because he was good at football and played for your team if you like. That only reflects poorly on you IMO. 

Look at the last paragraph on the last of my posts you quoted. It contradicts exactly your last fantasy paragraph. And I thought it was me that supposedly made stuff up!

I'm not excusing anything he's done but I also think he's so dim he didn't fully understand the ramifications of his actions with regard to the flute stuff.

Do you honestly think he put any conscious thought into half the stuff he did?

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, Fermer said:

Renfrew, I was trying to reply to your comments on my mobile but pressed Report button as not used to new format!!  I quickly went back and never said anything so apologies if you get a row lol.  No I was agreeing with you though.  Aberdeen and Celtic will never like Gascoigne as he destroyed them on the park.  But I agree with comment about Rangers supporters sing sash at sash bash (shockeroonie).  On that pitch he was the best I have seen and I dont like myself for saying that after he scored that goal at Wembley.  But he is a Rangers hero and everyone entitled to opinion.  Like Best and Baxter I suppose.  Except no mobile phones in those days!!  Flawed football genius.  I think we can all agree on that.  Even Parkie, although I understand comments will admit he was a great footballer.  No excuses though, every man must take responsibility for actions.

No worries Fermer. It'll be interesting to find out what a disciplinary looks like! ? 

9 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

I'm not excusing anything he's done but I also think he's so dim he didn't fully understand the ramifications of his actions with regard to the flute stuff.

This is the problem here, no matter what you think, Gazza has already admitted that he was fully aware of the connotations of miming playing a flute the second time he did it. About 3 or 4 people have already discussed this on this thread. Why do you refuse to believe he knew what he was doing if he himself said he knew what he was doing?!

Thanks Renfrew, Still canny work out the mobile thing.  It seems a better format but fxxk knows how to use it lol.  By the way not all Rangers guys are bigots and that comes across on this board who only love our teams.  And finally I would doubt very much if gazza is a bigot.  But definately plays to them as he loves the team and supporters.  Just a pity about religious side.  Canny wait till next old firm game though and I am sure both sides will bring out worst.  I wish it was all scotland flags and also from the Celtic side the irish flags.  I dont mind that at all and suppose in a bad way it adds to the spectacle and sparkle.  And by the way the Celtic have been performing i think we would have a chance lol.  I think football needs characters and you cant deny he was one.  Going up to the celtic boardroom for a drink before the game with his strip on is something that characters do.  and he got man of the match.  I just like the stories about baxter and jimmy johnstone going for a drink after OF games. 

11 hours ago, RenfrewBlue said:

Look at the last paragraph on the last of my posts you quoted. It contradicts exactly your last fantasy paragraph. And I thought it was me that supposedly made stuff up!

Do you honestly think he put any conscious thought into half the stuff he did?

You say "i'm not excusing him" but then do exactly that. You've already been told that he knew exactly what he was doing, yet you're still trying to excuse him. 

Mental. You're like the Hun version of EK_Celt, denying and obfuscating in an attempt to avoid admitting that you/re havering pish. Totally unaware that everyone reading the thread is thinking you're talking pish and laughing at you. :) 

14 minutes ago, Parklife said:

You say "i'm not excusing him" but then do exactly that. You've already been told that he knew exactly what he was doing, yet you're still trying to excuse him. 

Mental. You're like the Hun version of EK_Celt, denying and obfuscating in an attempt to avoid admitting that you/re havering pish. Totally unaware that everyone reading the thread is thinking you're talking pish and laughing at you. :) 

Aye.  He's no that daft but i dont think he did understand all the bigotry fully.  Flawed genious imo.  Is the term hun allowed in today's society btw?  Or is that not bigoted enough?

5 hours ago, Parklife said:

I'm not excusing anything. I know Gazza said he understood the 2nd time but did he really? Does anyone outside of Scottish football really understand the utter lunacy of the Old Firm fans?

And beyond that, even if he did understand why the flute thing annoyed folk, does the action of miming playing one constitute a bigoted action?  Really? 

It was stupid, offensive, funny depending on your viewpoint but was it really bigotry?

The Singing at the event in Irvine was worse, surely?

I've tried to get my point across Parkie but you're determined that I'm some sort of apologist rather than actually engaging on the point. Your preconceptions are preventing any rational discussion on this.

17 hours ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

This is the problem here, no matter what you think, Gazza has already admitted that he was fully aware of the connotations of miming playing a flute the second time he did it. About 3 or 4 people have already discussed this on this thread. Why do you refuse to believe he knew what he was doing if he himself said he knew what he was doing?!

See my response to Parkie. It's all very well him saying he understood but did he really get it? I don't know. 

We obviously disagree on that. I also don't get the fuss by anyone other than Celtic fans over the flute thing. Is it not in the same category as the Celtic fans singing "there's only 2 Andy Gorams"? 

I would say there is a huge difference between they songs RB.

To mimic playing the flute when you know the background on it, in front of the Celtic end in an old firm derby is not just stupid and offensive, it's borderline dangerous. 

He could have caused severe disorder with that. 

44 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

I'm not excusing anything. I know Gazza said he understood the 2nd time but did he really? Does anyone outside of Scottish football really understand the utter lunacy of the Old Firm fans?

And beyond that, even if he did understand why the flute thing annoyed folk, does the action of miming playing one constitute a bigoted action?  Really? 

It was stupid, offensive, funny depending on your viewpoint but was it really bigotry?

The Singing at the event in Irvine was worse, surely?

I've tried to get my point across Parkie but you're determined that I'm some sort of apologist rather than actually engaging on the point. Your preconceptions are preventing any rational discussion on this.

So he's performed bigoted behaviours on several occasions, confirmed he knew what his actions mean, then performed them again. Yet you're still determined to suggest he's some sort of incapable numpty who has no responsibility for his own actions? 

Your points seems to be Gazza didn't have a clue what he was doing despite a) ignorance is no excuse; b.) He's confirmed he did know what they meant and; c) he's since performed the same bigoted actions. 

Your point, is utterly nonsensical. You're excusing/defending/deflecting from bigotry, whatever way you want to dress it up. The only one whos preconceptions are getting in the way here is yours. 

33 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

See my response to Parkie. It's all very well him saying he understood but did he really get it? I don't know. 

We obviously disagree on that. I also don't get the fuss by anyone other than Celtic fans over the flute thing. Is it not in the same category as the Celtic fans singing "there's only 2 Andy Gorams"? 

i honestly think there are times we you have to stop trying to second guess someones comments and just accept them at face value. As has been said earlier, his level of intelligence shouldn't always be the fallback excuse for him when he does something wrong. He's no very bright but he's not at Brendon Massey levels of intelligence.

My simple opinion of the flute playing - he has brought the imagery of a sectarian organisation onto a football pitch in a match between two teams who are, in the main, on opposite sides of that sectarian divide. In my opinion sectarianism and bigotry are as unwelcome as racism and fascism. As others have already asked, would it have been as acceptable if he had done some monkey actions or fired off a stiff armed Nazi salute?

If you honestly think sectarianism, especially in Scotland, is not in the same category of "wrong" as racism and fascism then you are perfectly entitled to that opinion. However given your own comments on the OL, I don't think that is how you feel. If you don't then surely you must realise that mimicing a flute playing OL band on a football pitch is not really an acceptable action irrespective of how infantile/silly the action itself looks. I also think doing monkey impressions looks infantile/silly but I appreciate that they are equally as unacceptable.

Regards the 2 Andy Gorams chant, i was always under the impression that that came about from him dodging a Scotland call up by using the rather feeble excuse of claiming he wasn't himself and subsequently fans taking the piss based on it? Happy to be corrected if wrong. 

10 minutes ago, Parklife said:

So he's performed bigoted behaviours on several occasions, confirmed he knew what his actions mean, then performed them again. Yet you're still determined to suggest he's some sort of incapable numpty who has no responsibility for his own actions? 

Your points seems to be Gazza didn't have a clue what he was doing despite a) ignorance is no excuse; b.) He's confirmed he did know what they meant and; c) he's since performed the same bigoted actions. 

Your point, is utterly nonsensical. You're excusing/defending/deflecting from bigotry, whatever way you want to dress it up. The only one whos preconceptions are getting in the way here is yours. 

Is playing an imaginary flute really bigotry though?

That's the point I can't get my head round.

1 hour ago, sbcmfc said:

That's exactly my point. The one Parkie isn't answering other than just stating his viewpoint tinged with some personal abuse.

It's how he rolls when you question him.

1 hour ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

i honestly think there are times we you have to stop trying to second guess someones comments and just accept them at face value. As has been said earlier, his level of intelligence shouldn't always be the fallback excuse for him when he does something wrong. He's no very bright but he's not at Brendon Massey levels of intelligence.

My simple opinion of the flute playing - he has brought the imagery of a sectarian organisation onto a football pitch in a match between two teams who are, in the main, on opposite sides of that sectarian divide. In my opinion sectarianism and bigotry are as unwelcome as racism and fascism. As others have already asked, would it have been as acceptable if he had done some monkey actions or fired off a stiff armed Nazi salute?

If you honestly think sectarianism, especially in Scotland, is not in the same category of "wrong" as racism and fascism then you are perfectly entitled to that opinion. However given your own comments on the OL, I don't think that is how you feel. If you don't then surely you must realise that mimicing a flute playing OL band on a football pitch is not really an acceptable action irrespective of how infantile/silly the action itself looks. I also think doing monkey impressions looks infantile/silly but I appreciate that they are equally as unacceptable.

Regards the 2 Andy Gorams chant, i was always under the impression that that came about from him dodging a Scotland call up by using the rather feeble excuse of claiming he wasn't himself and subsequently fans taking the piss based on it? Happy to be corrected if wrong. 

I agree that the flute playing was stupid and potentially inflammatory, especially the second time. I'm also agreeing that Gazza's lack of intelligence is no excuse. 

I'm just asking is miming playing a flute actually a bigoted action?  I'm just not sure it is. It's not like it's a well known derogatory taunt for a historical atrocity. 

The Goram song did come about as you say but how do you know it was a feeble excuse? At the time though Goram may have been mentally ill and the crowd were mocking that.

I don't actually think he was ill, just at it.

The other similar event that springs to mind is the Hearts fans throwing bananas at Mark Walters. Very little gets said about that though. An event that many are happy to sweep under the carpet and possibly worse than Gazza.

Playing the flute isn't bigoted, playing the flute an instrument in this context used to represent the religious supremacy of Protestants over Catholics could be construed as such.

My guess would be Gazza would do anything to make him feel accepted, If he thought flinging on a KKK hat would get a laugh he'd do it with nary a thought for what he was actually doing.

32 minutes ago, phart said:

Playing the flute isn't bigoted, playing the flute an instrument in this context used to represent the religious supremacy of Protestants over Catholics could be construed as such.

My guess would be Gazza would do anything to make him feel accepted, If he thought flinging on a KKK hat would get a laugh he'd do it with nary a thought for what he was actually doing.

Totally agree. 

37 minutes ago, phart said:

Get him to phone me? I'll see if there's any gathering dust in my closet. :rolleyes:

3 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

Not necessarily, no.

Just like putting your arm straight in the air like a Nazi salute or making monkey gestures (my 1 year old does this when you ask him what a monkey does) aren't necessarily either. It's all about the situation I suppose 

This particular situation had Gazza surrounded by anti catholic bigots, so I can understand why people are saying that it was (bigoted).

But really, if we're being honest, who cares either way?

1 hour ago, RenfrewBlue said:

Totally agree. 

Stop apologising mate. these gits hate us and call us everything under the sun. U will never change that. Ian Durrant forever. And Scotland. Whay oh why are these people like that?  U and I and all other gers fans have never been offensive to any other fan of club on this site. And not you cove btw but u must be emabarssed by way of yon git that is more bigotted than any rangers or celtic fan. He hasnt got a nice word for anyone.. So dont apologise. You tell truth and seem like lovely guy.