worst stadium on a trip?? - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

worst stadium on a trip??

Ally boy 69

17 minutes ago, Bristolhibby said:

It's the hypocrisy that annoyed me afterwards. Dutch fans had no trouble, there would have been no trouble with all Scot fans in the home end. IMHO it was the Macedonian FA trying to make a point to Dirk, who was openly selling home tickets while badmouthing the MFA.

Stadium wise, the away ends in that head was fookin dangerous.

J

From what I remember it was the local Chief of Police who had got the arse about something - possibly something in the Scottish press during the week - and he was the sort of stubborn sort of guy who wouldn't admit he was wrong, wouldn't back down and who wouldn't see his authority questioned. 

I had a drink the night before the game with big Derek Kirkwood and the acting UK consul general who had just come back from the security briefing and made it clear that *everyone* had tried to convince him to let Scotland fans in but he wasn't budging.

For the record, this wasn't at the ambassador''s reception but in one if the bars along the strip.  I was in TartanTeddy's company and the Consul was a friend of his from university.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

23 minutes ago, aaid said:

From what I remember it was the local Chief of Police who had got the arse about something - possibly something in the Scottish press during the week - and he was the sort of stubborn sort of guy who wouldn't admit he was wrong, wouldn't back down and who wouldn't see his authority questioned. 

I had a drink the night before the game with big Derek Kirkwood and the acting UK consul general who had just come back from the security briefing and made it clear that *everyone* had tried to convince him to let Scotland fans in but he wasn't budging.

For the record, this wasn't at the ambassador''s reception but in one if the bars along the strip.  I was in TartanTeddy's company and the Consul was a friend of his from university.

"Respect my Authorita".

J

Edited by Bristolhibby

Kaunas was horrible. The crush before the first one was scary. Wee local boys getting proper panicked and it was Scotland fans who started pushing back the way to stop it getting out of hand. The walk back, locals after a square go, shit ground, one of 2 trips I was a bit aware of the need to keep the wits about you. The other was Chisinau. Random liftings from the polis to extort 'fines', nae street lights etc. Lack of pubs !!!! Saw some violent scenes in a wee cellar bar outside the ground. Heard glass smashing in a back room and then 2 locals got battered by 'plainclothes police'. We had also spoken to Scotland fans who were in a bar and saw a local rammy which ended with a guy getting shot :o.

Kaunas...  post match wtf

Kiev, pre match wtf... 

CSKA (i think) stadium in kiev, two league games back to back, think one was Mentalists while people just ran about running track and teams changing in stand.. things you find out for a stroll lol

I had no problems getting in 1st time in skopje, aye drink fae the fire truck if you want water.....er naw thanks...

Edited by JasMc1973

You youngsters are spoilt with your all seater stadiums and stalls selling organic goats milk yoghurt pies and skinny Bovrils. Back in the day we used to get squeezed onto terraces and spent most of the game standing on tiptoe, 4 to a square foot. At the old Wembley a pish was a good 20 minute round journey. 

9 hours ago, Newryrep said:

Moldovo not coming out too well it seems, when did you play there , I am hoping its improved

All booked up for October

Moldova itself is really nice, and though the stadium was bad (though it is long gone as it was demolished in the mid 00's) it's one of my top 3 trips with Scotland.

when we went it was ridiculously cheap.... A round consisted of a bottle of champagne each and still enough change from a fiver to pay for dinner!

9 hours ago, Newryrep said:

Moldovo not coming out too well it seems, when did you play there , I am hoping its improved

i never went to Moldova but the game was over 10 years ago so hopefully improved since then for your trip. Remember someone who went saying the farmers all used horse and cart, was liking going back 100 years!

25 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Moldova itself is really nice, and though the stadium was bad (though it is long gone as it was demolished in the mid 00's) it's one of my top 3 trips with Scotland.

when we went it was ridiculously cheap.... A round consisted of a bottle of champagne each and still enough change from a fiver to pay for dinner!

Haha the champagne. Pretty much all I drank for 3 days. So cheap! 

We got a taxi from the club we were in back to our hotel. The Cosmos. Took about 10 minutes, although probably cost about 20p. 

Following morning got up, walked out hotel, and the club was part of it hahaha

Stadia is too same same these days. 

Personally I prefer a wee section of terracing as long as the team do the business. 

Skopje 07 was my worst away ground experience. 

Appalling conditions which now mean ah won't wear a kilt to warmer climes away games. Not helped by the big numpty in a green mankini who blocked up the whole entrance whilst hunners of us with tickets stood in the boiling sun. 

Can mind of the hose pipe appearing at HT. Dire.

Heard a story about how Berra tried to access a lounge in the stadium for a drink and security refused him entry instead directing him to the toilet. 

Hampden not much better imo. 

2 hours ago, McToot said:

We got a taxi from the club we were in back to our hotel. The Cosmos. Took about 10 minutes, although probably cost about 20p. 

Was that the hotel wae the Bart Goors chapping your door ?

5 hours ago, McToot said:

Really enjoyed Moldova. Like any trip need to keep your wits about you but had a great time. Definitely the haves and the have nots. I remember run down high rise flats and yet beside them there being BMW garages or a McDonald's,  thinking who can afford that here. Didn't experience any hassle and food and drink was really cheap.  Things may have changed since I was there, hopefully for the best, but thought the locals were appreciative of their Scots visitors.  I do remember a comment about the stadium description at the time that made me laugh - think Cowdenbeath but without the frills!

As mentioned above, Moldova was a great trip, ruined by the fitba, and the stadium. A local lobbed a 500ml bottle of coke off of my neck during the game, it was that cold that I hardly felt it, apart from that, it was brilliant.

We couldnt spend the money we had change, and by god did we give it a go. Would love to go back.

19 hours ago, Newryrep said:

I enjoyed Moldova and never saw any trouble although heard a lot of other stories. 

the stadium was a dump right enough but they have a new one now don't they?

On 26/02/2016 at 6:41 PM, DaveyDenoon said:

The stadium in Kaunas was the biggest shit tip I've been in with Scotland by a million miles and yeah the climb down that mad hill in the dark afterwards was very surreal. How on earth international football could ever be played there is one of life's great mysteries.

But I actually liked Kaunas as a place and we had a great trip there.

The stadium in Bydgoszcz wasn't up to much either but miles better than Kaunas. The old Olympic stadium in Kiev was also pretty run down although it's the dugs' now.

Kiev, yes, worst ever for me.

Shite strewn all over the floor in the bogs. I've seen some pretty horrible sights in toilets all over the world, but that was the worst I've ever seen at a football match.

Kept in afterwards by very aggressive police and then let out into the night just in time for the local neds to have assembled to pick us off.

Neza in 86 was a mess but brilliant locals

2 hours ago, MikeyHead said:

Kiev, yes, worst ever for me.

Shite strewn all over the floor in the bogs. I've seen some pretty horrible sights in toilets all over the world, but that was the worst I've ever seen at a football match.

Kept in afterwards by very aggressive police and then let out into the night just in time for the local neds to have assembled to pick us off.

Neza in 86 was a mess but brilliant locals

Was it our shit or Ukraine?

San Siro was abysmal. Worse than Kaunas. 

San Siro tarmac around the ground looked as if the Sea of Tranquillity had been resurfaced by David Blunkett & Norman Wisdom on a bad day. The walls and staircases had moss and running water leaking down them, and were badly lit, with wifies and weans slipping as they tried to leave. For a stadium less than 15 years old when we went there - it was in abysmal condition. 

It was a complete dump of a ground. In terms of "how overrated?" - the San Siro wins by a country mile. But Kaunas is pretty atrocious. 

1 hour ago, tattiescone69 said:

Easy answer , Kaunas was a hole , but Skopje and that dump of a stadium wins hands down . Wouldn't go back to Macedonia if the whole trip was paid for , including the piss water warm Skopsko

We went back to Skopje 2 years ago.  It is a great stadium and night and day from what it was in 2008