Italy V Scotland - Rugby - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Italy V Scotland

Bristolhibby

1 hour ago, Dave78 said:

Why can we never win a friggin restart?! :mad:

Was pulling my limited hair out at that. Also Paressi clearly pulls their strings. Have a man challenging and a man ready to put a hit on Paressi when he inevitably wins every restart.

Needs work on that. Italy's restarts were massively shallow, Scotland didn't seem to know what to do with them.

Bring on Dublin (after France)!

J

15 hours ago, Bristolhibby said:

Was pulling my limited hair out at that. Also Paressi clearly pulls their strings. Have a man challenging and a man ready to put a hit on Paressi when he inevitably wins every restart.

Needs work on that. Italy's restarts were massively shallow, Scotland didn't seem to know what to do with them.

Bring on Dublin (after France)!

J

Make sure you give that cheating South African Joubert some abuse when your in Dublin !!! 

I was at the game and haven't seen it on TV yet, but our overall impression was that the team played very well.

We were under the cosh a bit for 20 minutes in the 2nd half, but the defence was excellent and I didn't have the impression at any point that we were going to crumble and fold.

I thought the scrum was superb (a phrase that has barely been used in 20 years in reference to Scotland), the line-out was strong, and that we looked dangerous every time we had the ball going forward. 

The next game is vital. A talented but brittle and unpredictable French team at home....beating them would be a big step forward for Scottish rugby.

It was certainly a step in the right direction. Scotland needed any sort of a win, in the end they won courtesy of a powerful performance from the back and by scoring some really excellent tries. Just as important though was the way they closed it out for the the win. Finishing the game strongly was pleasing too, although there I think the relative weakness of the Italian bench (unlike England and Wales) was a factor. The tight-five were superb, the win was based on their dominance. Laidlaw had one of his better games, providing the leadership on the park we so often lack. The backs looked lively, although I didn't feel Russell (that one very significant break apart) was that impressive - the missed penalty to touch is unforgivable. 

France are certainly beatable at Murrayfield, although they may have their mandatory one game of the 6N where all the disparate bits suddenly fall into place. They will surely start Trinh-Duc at 10, which makes a big difference in itself.

Great weekend in Rome.

Edited by Pool Q

Italy are a good team - they maybe don't have the replacements or even the fitness (some argue that might be our issue too), but they've come a long way and were very much in the France and England games for the first hour.  They also have arguably the best player in the 6 nations. They will also have targeted this game as their "must win".  Taking all that into account - I think our lads were excellent.  It also happened to be a game we simply had to win, however, whatever - and we did, while actually being nae bad.  So credit where credit is due.  We've got a few players really stepping up at the moment - Seymour, Nel, Barclay, Hodge with a few who seldom let you down.  Bizarrely, two of our best players (IMO) Hardie and Bennett have not yet played to full potential yet, I'm looking forward to them really clicking. Thought Johnny Gray was outstanding again. Russell seems to continue to split opinion - in open play he's really good with his hands, couple of poor kicks and one shocker!