The Scotland game you wish you had been at - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Scotland game you wish you had been at

Dunty

Just wondered if there was a Scotland game that stands out that you wish you had been at.

For me, so many to pick from, but at the risk of simply listing them all, I'd say Scotland/Wales at Anfield. Can only imagine the atmosphere that night was incredible.

31 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Czechoslovakia 1973. I'm starting to think we might never have a night like that again.

That game (on the TV) go me hooked. Didn't realise it was all downhill from there.......

Scotland v Sweden at Italia 90.

I loved that World Cup, and that was a huge game after the Costa Rica defeat. The Swedish fans, being in Genoa, the sense of occasion, and actually winning the game (we didn't win many at the World Cup to be fair).

We've had bigger wins than that before and since, but you can't beat winning a must-win World Cup game.

Edited by Sempre

1 hour ago, Dunty said:

Just wondered if there was a Scotland game that stands out that you wish you had been at.

For me, so many to pick from, but at the risk of simply listing them all, I'd say Scotland/Wales at Anfield. Can only imagine the atmosphere that night was incredible.

In edinburgh pre train,on the train to Liverpool,the atmosphere,the result one of best 

8 minutes ago, Bristolhibby said:

Scotland v Brazil, opening game of World Cup 98. 

Such an exciting time. Was 17, life so full of promise.

J

The same for me. Same age too. One of my mates who goes with me now to games was there. Lucky bugger.

Edited by Ormond

Give me a time machine and and I'd go to these two matches.

Scotland vs England at Hampden on April 17th 1937. And be in amongst the (official figure) 149,547 crowd. The unofficial estimate is that there was  probably about 160,000 there ! Oh, and we won 3-1.

The Home Championship decider against England at Wembley on April 9th 1949 was supposed to have been one hell of a game. Many writers have said it featured the most incredible display of goalkeeping ever seen from a Scotland goalie - Morton's Jimmy Cowan. Funnily enough the score was also 3-1 to Scotland :spin:

Love to have been at the 82 World Cup.

In recent years the two I have always regretted never doing where Poland in Bydgoszcz (none of my mates wanted to go as they were put off by the 5 hour train journey from Berlin and talk of Polish neo-Nazi's) and the Kirin Cup (me and the Mrs got married that summer, so was a non-starter)

19 hours ago, Sempre said:

Scotland v Sweden at Italia 90.

I loved that World Cup, and that was a huge game after the Costa Rica defeat. The Swedish fans, being in Genoa, the sense of occasion, and actually winning the game (we didn't win many at the World Cup to be fair).

We've had bigger wins than that before and since, but you can't beat winning a must-win World Cup game.

That would be my one too, easily. 

I don't agree we've had bigger wins since though - that was a massive must-win WC match (that we won). We've not had anything like that since. 

11 hours ago, Derek said:

Cyprus 2-3 must have been fantastic when Richard Gough headed home well into injury time

Did the home fans not try and kill the ref at the end of that one. Might not have been too comfortable an occasion to be an away supporter?...

On 01/03/2016 at 7:27 PM, Orraloon said:

Czechoslovakia 1973. I'm starting to think we might never have a night like that again.

Would be my choice. 100,000 under the lights at Hampden and a long overdue qualification. Must've been magic :)

Edited by Toepoke

On 01/03/2016 at 7:27 PM, Orraloon said:

Can still mind being at school the next day playing fitbaw at playtime everybody was Joe Jordan :lol:

Wish I was in Paris for the James McFadden game. 

My first away game was Northern Ireland in Carling Nations so Paris came just too soon. I'm sure in years to come though we'll have more massive games & I'll be able to say I was there! 

14 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Did the home fans not try and kill the ref at the end of that one. Might not have been too comfortable an occasion to be an away supporter?...

Do not know if it was because of our game, but recall one of their matches was moved to Greece (Athens?) as a result of crowd trouble.