Biggest Flops In Europe? - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Biggest Flops In Europe?

Daz1982

Yet again we will be watching a major tournament unfold on TV this summer. The last decade + has been a terrible period for our national team.

Even when we did qualify for tournaments in the past we always flopped in terms of how far we progressed.

When you consider other nations in Europe and their achievements at a particular tournament, I think we may have the worst record!

Here is other countries best finsihes as I remember them:

England - WC Winners

N Ireland - WC Last 16

Rep Ireland - WC QF

Wales - WC QF

Sweden - WC SF, EC SF

Denmark - EC Winners

Poland - WC QF

Romania - WC QF

Bulgaria - WC SF

Turkey - WC SF

Russia - WC QF

Greece - EC Winners

Italy - WC & EC Winners

Germany - WC & EC Winners

France - WC & EC Winners

Spain - WC & EC Winners

Portugal - WC SF & EC Final

I may have missed some countries out or got some of their final positions slightly wrong. However, it really does put into perspective how we have truely underchieved as a country at our national sport. When you consider some of the players and teams which we've had in the past it's remarkable!

This argument could also include nations from outside Europe when you consider that countries like Uruguay, Costa Rica, Ecuador, Senegal, Cameroon, Australia and South Korea have progressed further in a World Cup than we ever have.

We may have qualified for more individual tournaments than some of the countries mentioned above but we have yet to have our big moment.

Will this ever change?

Edited by Daz1982

13 minutes ago, stocky said:

Scotland has a better record than Ireland,wales and Ni, much better.

However the last 15 years have been pish...

Agreed qualified for 6 out of 7 world cups between 74 and 98 plus 2euros why does that make the likes of Wales or NI better than us? 

In terms of progressing at World Cup finals we are the most unsuccessful team ever.

8 appearances, pumped out at the first hurdle every time.  Tunisia and Iran are the next worst with 0 from 4...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_team_appearances_in_the_FIFA_World_Cup#Ranking_of_teams_by_number_of_appearances

Edited by Toepoke

And given the fact that even more teams progress from the group stages this time around, it's pretty inevitable that the likes of Wales will get past the group stage.  Then it'll be "Wales manage to do, at the first attempt, what Scotland could never acheive on numerous attempts."  Totally glossing over the fact that we didn't have the luxury of 3 teams qualifying.  And before somebody corrects me, I am aware that Wales have "qualified" for a tournament before in 1856 or whenever!

21 minutes ago, todd said:

And given the fact that even more teams progress from the group stages this time around, it's pretty inevitable that the likes of Wales will get past the group stage.  Then it'll be "Wales manage to do, at the first attempt, what Scotland could never acheive on numerous attempts."  Totally glossing over the fact that we didn't have the luxury of 3 teams qualifying.  And before somebody corrects me, I am aware that Wales have "qualified" for a tournament before in 1856 or whenever!

We did however have the luxury of being able to finish third in qualifying stage and still potentially qualify

45 minutes ago, DoonTheSlope said:

We did however have the luxury of being able to finish third in qualifying stage and still potentially qualify

I know.  The best chance to qualify and the best chance to get beyond the group stage, all rolled into one.  Makes the whole situation even more gauling! :mad:

You missed out Croatia, Austria, Yugoslavia, Czechoslovakia and Netherlands. Even Norway got past the first round. i think Iceland might join that group this time round?  There is no doubt that at present  Scotland are pretty pish but at the time we were qualifying regularly for World Cups we were probably in the top 10 in Europe. Now wee can't even get into the top 24.

Of the  list in the opening post ....you can take out about 7/8 teams  - purely because of their bigger populations and thus bigger pools to choose from you. Also these 7/8 teams have better football infrastructures and importantly better domestic leagues

Up until the last 18 years  - Scotlands consistency in qualifying was very impressive for a nation of its size

Edited by Green_Tide_Rising

7 hours ago, todd said:

We had the chance to be one of four best third places in both 86 and 90, but still couldnae do it.

6 hours ago, todd said:

I know.  The best chance to qualify and the best chance to get beyond the group stage, all rolled into one.  Makes the whole situation even more gauling! :mad:

Will just make it all the sweeter when we qualify for Russia, which is actually difficult to do rather than pretty easy.

3 hours ago, Green_Tide_Rising said:

Of the  list in the opening post ....you can take out about 7/8 teams  - purely because of their bigger populations and thus bigger pools to choose from you. Also these 7/8 teams have better football infrastructures and importantly better domestic leagues

Up until the last 18 years  - Scotlands consistency in qualifying was very impressive for a nation of its size

Fair point but Croatia's consistency in qualifying since they were independent has been incredibly impressive for a nation of their size.

Done a bit of research into this and have come up with the following:

Out of all the teams currently in UEFA:

The following have never progressed past the first round of a major finals but have qualified at least once:

Scotland (10 finals)

Slovenia (3 finals)

Bosnia (1 finals)

Serbia (if only playing as Serbia, not as Yugoslavia or Serbia & Montenegro) (1 finals)

Israel (1 finals)

Latvia (1 finals)

Not qualified for a major finals since '98:

Scotland

Finland

Belarus

Israel

Cyprus

Montenegro

Estonia

Faeroe Islands

Azerbaijan

Georgia

Armenia

Lithuania

Kazakhstan

Macedonia

Luxembourg

Moldova

Malta

Liechtenstein

San Marino

Andorra

Making Scotland the only one which had qualified in '98 or before which hasn't done so since.

Scotland are such big losers, you have to wonder if we are actually a country or not :Tumbleweed-2:

Anyway, hope that cheers everybody up ahead of the next campaign :chillpill:

Edited by Que Sera Sera
Add more info

1 hour ago, Que Sera Sera said:

Fair point but Croatia's consistency in qualifying since they were independent has been incredibly impressive for a nation of their size.

True  - but equally the state upon which they were apart of up until the early nineties had great players and also were an excellent football team on the international stage. Of the croatian side that did so well in 1996  - Boban, Jarni, Prosinecki , Asanovic, Stanic and Suker ( i think)  to name just a few all played for Yugoslavia before the breakup and that Yugoslavian team was fantastic. So my point being...the new croatia side in 1996 inherited ready made superstars from the old yugoslavian side and thus they great in 1996.

Since then Croatia dont send any players abroad below the age of 16 - their F.A ensure they learn the technical side of the game within Croatia and get proper development and once that is done they tend to go to clubs on the continent (something I wish Irish players would have the guts to do) .....but this is more proper underage infrastructure...something Scotland/ROI/Wales/NI dont have...and hence the reason why my lot/wales/NI and England have been no great shakes in the last decade or so either.

But I do take your general point on board - ...but equally i would view it a bit harsh to be calling yereselve's flops.

Edited by Green_Tide_Rising

9 minutes ago, Que Sera Sera said:

The Croatian players from the former Yugoslavia team have long since disappeared. The 2002 WC must've been the last time any of them played. They've continued to qualify. I think South Africa is just about their only absence since independence.

I know  - re-read my post:)

The nineties success was due to largely the yugoslavian element

Post nineties - is due to home technical development up until the age of 16, european clubs and all round better infrastructure within their F.A

11 hours ago, todd said:

I know.  The best chance to qualify and the best chance to get beyond the group stage, all rolled into one.  Makes the whole situation even more gauling:mad:

Appropriate typo given where the finals will be...

I'd rather be at Russia World Cup (preventing England from qualifying along the way) than going to euros. The rest of the home nations will be looking at us with jealousy once the summer of 2018 comes around! 

4 hours ago, Green_Tide_Rising said:

True  - but equally the state upon which they were apart of up until the early nineties had great players and also were an excellent football team on the international stage. Of the croatian side that did so well in 1996  - Boban, Jarni, Prosinecki , Asanovic, Stanic and Suker ( i think)  to name just a few all played for Yugoslavia before the breakup and that Yugoslavian team was fantastic. So my point being...the new croatia side in 1996 inherited ready made superstars from the old yugoslavian side and thus they great in 1996.

Since then Croatia dont send any players abroad below the age of 16 - their F.A ensure they learn the technical side of the game within Croatia and get proper development and once that is done they tend to go to clubs on the continent (something I wish Irish players would have the guts to do) .....but this is more proper underage infrastructure...something Scotland/ROI/Wales/NI dont have...and hence the reason why my lot/wales/NI and England have been no great shakes in the last decade or so either.

But I do take your general point on board - ...but equally i would view it a bit harsh to be calling yereselve's flops.

Keeping our players in Scotland till they are 16 is probably detrimental! Again highlighting the difference between a county like ourselves and like Croatia

3 hours ago, ProudScot said:

Keeping our players in Scotland till they are 16 is probably detrimental! Again highlighting the difference between a county like ourselves and like Croatia

Yep...unfortunately it probably is

Same cud be said for keeping our own young players in the Republic.

Reason for this ....both ouR nations have had poor underage infrastructures over the years