New Council Tax proposals - Page 5 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

New Council Tax proposals

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, Larky Masher said:

No as I have much more trivial things to waste my time on such the Linlithgow Tap and whose idea that was.

I must admit admit I was not sure why they didn't keep the name, it was in pub quizzes. Hopefully they keep the bar, and sorted out the pool room.

3 hours ago, phart said:

I must admit admit I was not sure why they didn't keep the name, it was in pub quizzes. Hopefully they keep the bar, and sorted out the pool room.

The bar is the same but painted grey though the pool room is no more this will apparently have booths (or is it soothes?) in it which means the pub will be shut after a couple of months for drug dealing.

Passing through the supermarket at lunchtime I noticed that the Daily Mail (excuse the source, but the story is accurate) is going after the SNP today for stating that they won't support (or implement) Osborne's tax threshold rise of the 40% rate not kicking in until £45k (raised from £43k). (Scottish Labour also in the same stance as the SNP).

While I wouldn't be overly critical of adopting this position - is it right that the SNP are willing to squeeze more out of those middle classes on the 40% rate but unwilling to re-introduce the 50p top-rate of tax for the absolute wealthiest in society? 

Seems a bit of a disconnect there. 

Edited by AlfieMoon

1 hour ago, AlfieMoon said:

Passing through the supermarket at lunchtime I noticed that the Daily Mail (excuse the source, but the story is accurate) is going after the SNP today for stating that they won't support (or implement) Osborne's tax threshold rise of the 40% rate not kicking in until £45k (raised from £43k). (Scottish Labour also in the same stance as the SNP).

While I wouldn't be overly critical of adopting this position - is it right that the SNP are willing to squeeze more out of those middle classes on the 40% rate but unwilling to re-introduce the 50p top-rate of tax for the absolute wealthiest in society? 

Seems a bit of a disconnect there. 

The argument is that there is a point with the top rate of tax that if you raise it above that level the amount of money you bring in starts to fall as people stop paying tax either by leaving or by looking into legal tax avoidance schemes and so the increase becomes self-defeating.  This isn't theoretical, those of us old enough will remember 1974 when the top rate of tax was a combined 98% which saw a large number of celebrities leave the UK as tax exiles.

The argument goes further in that by definition a large majority of people earning say greater than £150000 are the most mobile people in the tax-base and are those for who it would be easier to up sticks and move somewhere else.  I'd say that's certainly more of a factor in today's globalised economy.

Arguably Scotland is susceptible to the wider UK to this for a couple of reasons.  

Firstly, there are lot less of the real super-rich people than there are in the UK - although it would be good to see how much these people actually pay in tax.  

Secondly, while - from next year - the SG will be able to vary rates and bands, they have no control over the tax code and are restrained by the UK tax regulations.   For example, I've no idea what HMRC are planning to do as regards someone who works in Financial Services in Edinburgh and who lives in Berwick and gets the train up every day.   That's an obvious case but it doesn't take a genius to work out that if some exotic set of tax avoidance schemes are put in place with specific regard to Scotland - and which do not impact the rUK - that HMRC won't be particularly motivated to seek to close them.

I've no idea what that threshold and tax rate is but I'm certain it exists and I think its probably a bit higher than 50% on earnings above £150k pa, so I'd like to see that tested.

I'd hope that the SG has done its research and modeled this to come up with a set of bands and rates that will be fair.

Of course the fundamental difference between the SNP and all the other parties is that as it currently stands, they are the only ones who it looks like will actually be in a position to implement any policies and so they need to be in a position to know that their policies will be workable unlike Labour who can happily promise the earth knowing full well they won't have to actual live up to that.

It's great people will be talking about tax in Scotland instead of spend. It will also highlight more the economic benefits of UK and the falsehoods in the White Paper promoted by SNP. We'll see if people want to pay more tax and if they do then possibly look at how the money is spent. If I'm paying more tax than a counterpart in England with services which have been centralised and inflexible I'll be miffed. Anyone who lives in rUK and wants to pay more tax your prayers have been answered. Move on up.

Talking about tax rate is one way of thinking about it, but since the purpose of tax is to raise revenues, surely putting the tax rate at the point where collection is highest is best.

a 45% tax rate can raise less tax than a 43% rate due to external factors.

Tax rate produces non-linear effects in reality, obviously for the individual the percentage counts as that is a constant effect on their wages.

Also raising tax just gives the government more money which it will spend inefficiently anyway if we want to get "meta" about the situation.

• 6 months later...

Can anyone tell me how the money raised from the new council tax proposals will be spent and if there is an actual spending plan for it,,a local ex-snp councillor just posted this on my page

""Yesterday the SNP  Scottish Government agreed to raise Council Tax in Aberdeenshire for those in bands E to H.  This will hit over 40% of residents in Aberdeenshire and "most" of the £8.2million raised in Aberdeenshire will be redistributed to other Councils across Scotland.
Average yearly increases are 
band E - £105
band F - £207
band G - £335
band H - £517

I certainly agree that we now need to be increasing council tax to help deliver and protect vital services but WHY does the extra money raised in Aberdeenshire not stay in Aberdeenshire why should our money be distributed to other councils to support them and Aberdeenshire gets very little of the huge amount raised, certainly something I will be asking our MSP and MP and I would urge others to do the same, this continual robbing of Aberdeenshire to protect the central belt must stop, we have a serious amount of issues in our own towns, villages and rural areas that need vital investment.""

The snp are getting pummelled in my area at the moment 

5 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Maybe by "my area" he means his computer desk?

Give the loon his dues. 2015 general election it was 60% snp, 2011 holyrood 67% snp. It is a negative trajectory. 

7 minutes ago, flumax said:

Are they, aye? 

55% of the vote on a 25000 turnout, with a 6500 majority (20%).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/politics/scotland-constituencies/S16000085

Edit 28k turnout, got mixed with 2011. NB still 23% majority. 

They are being pummelled right now,, if there was to be a vote tomorrow it would be one of the biggest swings in recent times i wiuld be very interested to see recent polling for the area 

On 24/09/2016 at 9:21 AM, hampden_loon2878 said:

Can anyone tell me how the money raised from the new council tax proposals will be spent and if there is an actual spending plan for it,,a local ex-snp councillor just posted this on my page

""Yesterday the SNP  Scottish Government agreed to raise Council Tax in Aberdeenshire for those in bands E to H.  This will hit over 40% of residents in Aberdeenshire and "most" of the £8.2million raised in Aberdeenshire will be redistributed to other Councils across Scotland.
Average yearly increases are 
band E - £105
band F - £207
band G - £335
band H - £517

I certainly agree that we now need to be increasing council tax to help deliver and protect vital services but WHY does the extra money raised in Aberdeenshire not stay in Aberdeenshire why should our money be distributed to other councils to support them and Aberdeenshire gets very little of the huge amount raised, certainly something I will be asking our MSP and MP and I would urge others to do the same, this continual robbing of Aberdeenshire to protect the central belt must stop, we have a serious amount of issues in our own towns, villages and rural areas that need vital investment.""

The snp are getting pummelled in my area at the moment 

Answer is in here http://archive.is/i7YdD

Mr Mackay said: "I can categorically assure every local authority area that every penny raised in council tax will stay in that local authority area.

"How we are proposing to allocate revenues towards education as we've proposed in the manifesto is through the revenue support grant.

"It is similar to business rates in terms of how that mechanism works and I don't hear the complaint that that mechanism hasn't worked to the satisfaction of local government.

"So, the principle is there but I'm very clear that which is raised at a local level through council tax will stay with those local authorities."

9 hours ago, flumax said:

Mr Mackay said: "I can categorically assure every local authority area that every penny raised in council tax will stay in that local authority area.

"How we are proposing to allocate revenues towards education as we've proposed in the manifesto is through the revenue support grant.

"It is similar to business rates in terms of how that mechanism works and I don't hear the complaint that that mechanism hasn't worked to the satisfaction of local government.

"So, the principle is there but I'm very clear that which is raised at a local level through council tax will stay with those local authorities."

? apreciated 

• 2 weeks later...
On 28 September 2016 at 0:44 AM, flumax said:

Currently debating with a snp bad councillor regarding aberdeensire not recieving any benifits from the scheme and he has me stumped..any help would be apreciated 

http://news.scotland.gov.uk/News/-11-5m-for-secondary-schools-to-close-attainment-gap-2d09.aspx

36 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

Currently debating with a snp bad councillor regarding aberdeensire not recieving any benifits from the scheme and he has me stumped..any help would be apreciated 

http://news.scotland.gov.uk/News/-11-5m-for-secondary-schools-to-close-attainment-gap-2d09.aspx

Tell him that you thought pooling and sharing and being better together were supposed to be good things. 

• 3 months later...
On 1/14/2017 at 2:49 AM, hampden_loon2878 said:

How does local buisness rates work,, my employer is ranting on again how their buisness rates have risen by 153% due to the snp bad,,,and specifically blamed it on sturgeon which then indicates it is not a local matter, anyone familiar with buisness rates and how they are set? 

On 9/24/2016 at 1:54 PM, hampden_loon2878 said:

They are being pummelled right now,, if there was to be a vote tomorrow it would be one of the biggest swings in recent times i wiuld be very interested to see recent polling for the area 

On 10/12/2016 at 8:56 PM, hampden_loon2878 said:

On 1/14/2017 at 2:49 AM, hampden_loon2878 said:

How does local buisness rates work,, my employer is ranting on again how their buisness rates have risen by 153% due to the snp bad,,,and specifically blamed it on sturgeon which then indicates it is not a local matter, anyone familiar with buisness rates and how they are set? 

Loon, the lone SNP supporter, swimming in a never ending sea of hostility of friends, constituents, councillors and now his employer.............Lets hope 2017 cuts you a break and you get the rest you deserve sweet prince......

46 minutes ago, Return of Yermaw said:

Loon, the lone SNP supporter, swimming in a never ending sea of hostility of friends, constituents, councillors and now his employer.............Lets hope 2017 cuts you a break and you get the rest you deserve sweet prince......

You actually have no idea, thats another councillor who is a very good and well respected one at that ditching the snp and going as an independent up here,,, banff,, fraserburgh and peterhead will do well not to avoid a wipe out in may,,mark my words,, its dire,,, i have been warning mrs whiteford about this from before the EU referendum,, it now only seems to be sinking in with the party,,,,