New Council Tax proposals - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

New Council Tax proposals

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was hoping for more radical as well....  

A  land tax at least or are valuation.

It shuts Labour up, however the SNP need to be bigger than that.

This nextparliament needs radical change , if we cant do it now we prob never will. 

Wait till we see Daily Hail  hail headlines tmrro...

I'm SNP member & in band E property - two quid a week increase seems reasonable given that the CT hasn't gone up in years with all the local government jobs that have been lost as a result - easier to do this than undertake a complete revaluation of properties and/or valuation of land with all the gnashing of teeth and political disagreement that would cause

48 minutes ago, Topcat said:

I'm SNP member & in band E property - two quid a week increase seems reasonable given that the CT hasn't gone up in years with all the local government jobs that have been lost as a result - easier to do this than undertake a complete revaluation of properties and/or valuation of land with all the gnashing of teeth and political disagreement that would cause

Same here, seems reasonable enough to me,,,

27 minutes ago, Lion Rampant said:

I'm going to be taking a big hit. I already pay nearly £3k in council tax with a proposed increase of around £300

We have been arguing with GCC with regards to the banding of our house for a while and this is going to make things a bit worse.
Ah well.

band G bud - you must live in a palace in one of Glasgow's most salubrious neighbourhoods! 

:wtf:

Seems absurd that we're still using valuations that are a quarter of a century old. We should surely be revaluing. There would need to be some sort of discount for those oldies that have lived in the same house for donkeys years that have seen the value of their property increase hugely but are cash poor. Should be doable though.

46 minutes ago, iainmac1 said:

Just searched council tax bands. I'm a band E but house next door is a C.

Doesn't seem right. 

Are your houses similar size and value? You can appeal your rating if you think it's wrong. You can get a refund back dated from the time you moved in. On the other hand they might decide to charge your neighbour more.

9 hours ago, Topcat said:

Of course it is easier. The point is the SNP have been making an issue out of the unfairness of the current system for years now and all they have done is tinkered. I have no issue with my local taxes going up in itself but this does nothing to solve all the issues there are with the current system. If the SNP hadn't been making an issue out of it in the first place then you might be ok just to say fair enough but given they have been making a big deal out of this this is clearly political posturing and nothing to do with fairness. 

What annoys me about local government finance is seeing these diddy councillors being paid than most folk earn to be full time councillors.

The council tax is even less progressive than the poll tax.  I get hit with the bill whereas nobody else living in my house does.  Try getting anyone to chip in their share...

LIT was a better idea and should have been implemented - CT doesn't become fair just because it's been tinkered with.  I vote SNP and will still do so, but this looks like a means of destroying Labour's stupid tax increase strategy without losing votes.  And it should be trumpeted loud and long that this is all a result of Westminster cuts.

12 minutes ago, Alibi said:

What annoys me about local government finance is seeing these diddy councillors being paid than most folk earn to be full time councillors.

The council tax is even less progressive than the poll tax.  I get hit with the bill whereas nobody else living in my house does.  Try getting anyone to chip in their share...

LIT was a better idea and should have been implemented - CT doesn't become fair just because it's been tinkered with.  I vote SNP and will still do so, but this looks like a means of destroying Labour's stupid tax increase strategy without losing votes.  And it should be trumpeted loud and long that this is all a result of Westminster cuts.

I don't have an issue with Councillors pay. You need to attract a wide range of good people and so the pay is important. However there needs to be a complete overhaul of Local Government to make it work for the people. People are not invested in local government and often have little faith in it, that needs to change.

15 hours ago, Orraloon said:

I think this is a totally daft plan if it doesn't include a revaluation of properties. There will be huge anomalies all over the place. 

It's a strange one.  My Mrs and I both make good money, but we live in a shite area and a shite house, tax band A actually, the shitest of the shite.  Round the corner there are families who live in Tax Band E, F & G who don't earn half as much as we do.

Edit:  Just read that low earners in these tax bands will be able to apply for an exemption, which is something I guess.

9 hours ago, Orraloon said:

"SNP BAD". Nae need to wait.

Behave.  Something needs to be done but I don't think this is the answer.  Scrapping the Council Tax altogether and bringing in an income based service tax would be preferable.

Edited by Scunnered

9 hours ago, Alan said:

How many SNP manifesto pledges on council tax replacement broken now?

none, not 1.ziltch

Wasnt in 2011 Manifesto, but dont let that change your prejudices.

16 hours ago, Orraloon said:

I think this is a totally daft plan if it doesn't include a revaluation of properties. There will be huge anomalies all over the place. 

Absolutely. I pay more for my flat than equivalent (or more expensive) properties purely because it was built in 99. 

10 hours ago, iainmac1 said:

Just searched council tax bands. I'm a band E but house next door is a C.

Doesn't seem right. 

When i moved homes last year i bought the house on a band D then a few months after i bought it the council changed it to e as there had been an extension put on,, i had to back pay some money also,,,the council said that i could apeal it but that my house may even go up another band after a detailed valuation so decided against it... So even if you put on extensions, add value to your home ect the band will not usually change untill the property is sold,,, well thay how they explained it to me 

6 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

When i moved homes last year i bought the house on a band D then a few months after i bought it the council changed it to e as there had been an extension put on,, i had to back pay some money also,,,the council said that i could apeal it but that my house may even go up another band after a detailed valuation so decided against it... So even if you put on extensions, add value to your home ect the band will not usually change untill the property is sold,,, well thay how they explained it to me 

The thing that affects me is that new builds are valued on their cost at the time they're built but other houses stick with their 1991 valuation. 

1 hour ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

Aye, that's how it works. There is no logic to it.