Dalglish's goal v Spain in 84 - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Dalglish's goal v Spain in 84

macy37

8 hours ago, bonzo said:

Was in the old north that night looking along the 18 yard box had a great view of kennys goal would say archies goal was better wae faddy 3rd 

I was in the main stand exactly opposite you. You should have given us a wave.:wave:

That was his 30th goal. It was good of him to save his best till last.

On 05/03/2016 at 5:34 PM, Barney Rubble said:

Unlikely for those of us who witnessed both goals.

Kenny every time for me. but I admire your enthusiasm and fully respect your opinion.

For me the Goal against Belgium is the best Scotland goal in my life time. Archie is a close 2nd. Dalglish goal against Spain was more important in the grand scheme of things. Faddys goal against Lithuania for me was very similar. 

Edited by Jagtag

20 hours ago, Orraloon said:

I was in the main stand exactly opposite you. You should have given us a wave.:wave:

That was his 30th goal. It was good of him to save his best till last.

Hahaha sorry a missed you that night 

1 hour ago, one t in scotland said:

Thoroughly depressing viewing in contrast to the present day when comparing the charlatans that fill the jerseys and the twits that fill the stands. 

For the record, I am certainly not a twit.

I'm a twat.

Thank you.

Do you reckon there was any communication between Dalglish and cooper just before the throw in from Nicol? You can see dalglish with his back to the throw in and facing what would have been an out of shot cooper, dalglish spins to fake to receive the throw in off Steve Nicol.You can imagine Nicol already knew what to do from their Liverpool connection.Would love to think it was all off the cuff from dalglish and cooper - just 2 footballing geniuses in sync with each other

Edited by JECK

2 hours ago, one t in scotland said:

Thoroughly depressing viewing in contrast to the present day when comparing the charlatans that fill the jerseys and the twits that fill the stands. 

Was there still go where does that leave me? 

2 hours ago, JECK said:

Do you reckon there was any communication between Dalglish and cooper just before the throw in from Nicol? You can see dalglish with his back to the throw in and facing what would have been an out of shot cooper, dalglish spins to fake to receive the throw in off Steve Nicol.You can imagine Nicol already knew what to do from their Liverpool connection.Would love to think it was all off the cuff from dalglish and cooper - just 2 footballing geniuses in sync with each other

Aye, pre planned move IMO. 

I too was at that game in 1984 - I swear we would have beaten any team in the world that night - thought Maurice Johnston had an amazing game for us along with Jim Bett

Sadly I don't think I'll ever see another Scotland performance like that again :(

(I also think that Dalglish's goal that night was better than McFaddens in Paris) 

15 hours ago, one t in scotland said:

The twists that fill the stands ?

I hope your talking about them in suits in the main stand !

If your on about supporters, then at least the present ones are civilised enough not to have a slash on the back of your legs or in your jacket pocket unlike the good old days ?

On 08/03/2016 at 11:03 AM, glasgow jock said:

I too was at that game in 1984 - I swear we would have beaten any team in the world that night - thought Maurice Johnston had an amazing game for us along with Jim Bett

Sadly I don't think I'll ever see another Scotland performance like that again :(

Have to agree, look at the team:-

1     Jim Leighton                 
2     Steve Nicol                 
3     Arthur Albiston                 
4     Graeme Souness                 
5     Alex McLeish                 
6     Willie Miller                 
7     Kenny Dalglish                 
8     Paul McStay                 
9     Mo Johnston                 
10   Jim Bett                 
11   Davie Cooper

Six of them won European medals. Of the rest McStay and Cooper were voted into Celtic and Rangers best ever teams, Albiston played nearly 400 games for Man Utd. I very much doubt we'll have that kind of pedigree to call on again :(

On 3/13/2016 at 2:51 AM, Toepoke said:

1     Jim Leighton                 
2     Steve Nicol                 
3     Arthur Albiston                 
4     Graeme Souness                 
5     Alex McLeish                 
6     Willie Miller                 
7     Kenny Dalglish                 
8     Paul McStay                 
9     Mo Johnston                 
10   Jim Bett                 
11   Davie Cooper

Six of them won European medals. Of the rest McStay and Cooper were voted into Celtic and Rangers best ever teams, Albiston played nearly 400 games for Man Utd. I very much doubt we'll have that kind of pedigree to call on again :(

Thanks for posting that Toepoke - brings back great memories, also a bit depressing to think how few (if any) top quality players we produce these days.

On 13 March 2016 at 2:51 AM, Toepoke said:

1     Jim Leighton                 
2     Steve Nicol                 
3     Arthur Albiston                 
4     Graeme Souness                 
5     Alex McLeish                 
6     Willie Miller                 
7     Kenny Dalglish                 
8     Paul McStay                 
9     Mo Johnston                 
10   Jim Bett                 
11   Davie Cooper

Probably the best first 11 in my time. Mo Johnston was some player. Cooper, Dalglish, Souness, McStay. Makes the eyes water. A vastly experienced and successful back four. Jeez, we should have been quarter final material, but at least we qualified.

Could have competed well at Euro 84 no? If we bothered our arses - heard numerous times the euros was never taken seriously back then. Short trip to France, manageble weather conditions, team full of top class players. Stein having full respect of the players.All the ingredients were there

2 hours ago, JECK said:

Could have competed well at Euro 84 no? If we bothered our arses - heard numerous times the euros was never taken seriously back then. Short trip to France, manageble weather conditions, team full of top class players. Stein having full respect of the players.All the ingredients were there

We certainly didn't bother our arses, finished bottom of the qualifying group!