Luxembourg Internation to Metz - Page 2 - France v Scotland - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Luxembourg Internation to Metz

Mowgli

Advice is don't book an SNCF train online as they fleece tourists to subsidise locals. Either get a ticket on the day or go on the local Luxembourg trains which are about a quarter of the SNCF prices. We booked on Belgian trains from Brussels to Luxembourg for a third of what SNCF were charging and advice was just get a ticket in Luxenbourg to Metz :spin:

Edited by diane0805
Can't spell!

On 5 March 2016 at 6:47 PM, MarthacleanerFC said:

Looking at flights back on Sunday leaving at 1130am.  First train from Metz gets to Lux at 10:20 and then (I think) it's a short taxi to the airport.

With hand luggage would that still be too tight does anyone know?  Not sure how reliable the trains are as leaves no contingency

Was looking at trains and there is a train out of Metz, at 8.30 am getting to Luxembourg at 9.23 SNCF... 15 mins in a taxi to airport gets you there before 10 for an 11.30 flight plenty time.... I was contemplating getting a taxi up from Metz if anyone is interested in sharing if not that's the train am on...

On 3 April 2016 at 4:33 PM, Bristolhibby said:

Like the idea of a 1 hour bus from Lux to Metz.

That aside, if I were to get the train, could I just arrive on Saturday morning, buy a TGV ticket and jump on? Don't really like being locked into a specific train, as would be stuffed if the plane is delayed.

J

There are local trains on top of the TGVs that don't take much longer. If you book a TGV right now, you'll only save about €5 than if you just rock up and get a local train and you'll be restricted to that train.

The flexible fares are €25 for the TGV and €16-70 for the TER.  TGV is only 8 minutes faster   

2 minutes ago, oneforcolin said:

Staying in Luxembourg Fri and Sat night and getting the train to and from Metz. (4 of us). Looks like the last train from Metz is 23.15ish which might be a problem. Anybody else in this boat (sorry train)?

Yeah, there's a bus at about 1am that I'm getting instead.

Its the same folk that run busses to Metz from LUX airport.

On 6 May 2016 at 7:18 PM, oneforcolin said:

Staying in Luxembourg Fri and Sat night and getting the train to and from Metz. (4 of us). Looks like the last train from Metz is 23.15ish which might be a problem. Anybody else in this boat (sorry train)?

Yeah we're staying at Lux Airport Fri and Sat.

Booked train on SNCF a couple of days ago at £17 for 2 of us one way to Metz on the TGV at 11:09 on match day then getting the Flibco bus back at 2am on Sunday straight to Lux Airport, few hours kip in the hotel then flight back at 11:30am

• 3 weeks later...
On 07/03/2016 at 8:07 AM, captain said:

All the cool kids are staying in Luxembourg on the Friday night then jumping on a train Saturday morning ;)

us too. staying in Luxembourg Friday night, then on the 13:09 saturday. returning monday lunchtime.  got tickets through today £17 return each

On 25/04/2016 at 5:58 PM, ÈcosseFCUK said:

Was looking at trains and there is a train out of Metz, at 8.30 am getting to Luxembourg at 9.23 SNCF... 15 mins in a taxi to airport gets you there before 10 for an 11.30 flight plenty time.... I was contemplating getting a taxi up from Metz if anyone is interested in sharing if not that's the train am on...

indefinite train strike to start in france june 2nd

10 minutes ago, washboarder said:

indefinite train strike to start in france june 2nd

Just reading through IMHO it means indefinite Wednesday-Thursday strikes.

As I said before, little point striking on the weekend. 

J

20 minutes ago, Bristolhibby said:

Just reading through IMHO it means indefinite Wednesday-Thursday strikes.

As I said before, little point striking on the weekend. 

J

http://www.thelocal.fr/20160524/how-french-rail-services-will-be-hit-by-strike       Notice in the artical it says from june 2nd it will be a daily strike

Edited by washboarder

5 minutes ago, washboarder said:

http://www.thelocal.fr/20160524/how-french-rail-services-will-be-hit-by-strike       Notice in the artical it says from june 2nd it will be a daily strike

Just re read that.

Hopefully it's Union bluster. However with the French Unions they are mental.

Only crumb of hope is the TGV only has 1/4 effected and mostly in areas that is not Metz to Luxembourg.

Regarding Luxembourg not in France, I'd imagine on a normal day flights would overfly France. Guessing BA could re-route over Belgium.

We'll see what happens.

J

4 minutes ago, Bristolhibby said:

Just re read that.

Only crumb of hope is the TGV only has 1/4 effected and mostly in areas that is not Metz to Luxembourg.

Regarding Luxembourg not in France, I'd imagine on a normal day flights would overfly France. Guessing BA could re-route over Belgium.

We'll see what happens.

J

wheres your flight from. to day no ba flights went to lux. 

The BA cancelled flights were 10 to Italy, eight to Switzerland, 12 to Spain, four to Germany, two to Belgium and two to Luxembourg.

Further travel chaos is expected tomorrow with an estimated 80,000 Britons likely to be hit by a 24-hour general strike in Spain.

A BA spokeswoman said: "We are not sure at this stage if the situation will be worse tomorrow. We are providing information as soon as it becomes available.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-123916/Flights-halted-thanks-strike.html#ixzz49gu3UYFx 
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

3 minutes ago, washboarder said:

wheres your flight from. to day no ba flights went to lux. 

The BA cancelled flights were 10 to Italy, eight to Switzerland, 12 to Spain, four to Germany, two to Belgium and two to Luxembourg.

Further travel chaos is expected tomorrow with an estimated 80,000 Britons likely to be hit by a 24-hour general strike in Spain.

A BA spokeswoman said: "We are not sure at this stage if the situation will be worse tomorrow. We are providing information as soon as it becomes available.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-123916/Flights-halted-thanks-strike.html#ixzz49gu3UYFx 
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Just had a wee look myself. Flying from Heathrow to Lux with BA. Both flights running tomorrow (on a strike day).

Out of curiously looked up Heathrow to both Paris airports tomorrow. Out of 11 flights only two cancelled.

I think BA have it managed as best they can.

Marseilles had 1 out of 3 binned off and the same to Lyon.

Edited by Bristolhibby

2 minutes ago, Bristolhibby said:

Just had a wee look myself. Flying from Heathrow to Lux with BA. Both flights running tomorrow (on a strike day).

Out of curiously looked up Heathrow to both Paris airports tomorrow. Out of 11 flights only two cancelled.

I think BA have it managed as best they can.

Marseilles had 1 out of 3 binned off and the same to Lyon.

thats good news bristol hope all sorted b4 next weekend

On 23/04/2016 at 8:23 PM, diane0805 said:

Advice is don't book an SNCF train online as they fleece tourists to subsidise locals. Either get a ticket on the day or go on the local Luxembourg trains which are about a quarter of the SNCF prices. We booked on Belgian trains from Brussels to Luxembourg for a third of what SNCF were charging and advice was just get a ticket in Luxenbourg to Metz :spin:

Hi,

I will be getting the train from Charleroi to Metz with changes at Namur and Luxemburg. Did you book your tickets on the day of travel and would it be worth buying a ticket to Luxemburg then another to Metz?  I know that it's much cheaper buying tickets at  the station on the day when traveling in eastern Europe but not sure about Belgium/France

28 minutes ago, Bristolhibby said:

Just re read that.

We'll see what happens.

J

Barely seemed to touch France today

LHRLUX.jpg

18 minutes early though. Hope that doesn't restrict my Gin & Tonic intake.

DC.

3 hours ago, dynamokev said:

Hi,

I will be getting the train from Charleroi to Metz with changes at Namur and Luxemburg. Did you book your tickets on the day of travel and would it be worth buying a ticket to Luxemburg then another to Metz?  I know that it's much cheaper buying tickets at  the station on the day when traveling in eastern Europe but not sure about Belgium/France

Well it was my brother who travels in France quite often who said it's cheaper just to buy tickets on the day. Certainly their flexible tickets are expensive. Don't think I'd book for a specific train on a non refundable ticket right now with this threatened rail strike anyway. We might have to bus it from Luxembourg to Metz, no biggie only about an hour (unless there's no fuel for the buses with the fuel depot blockade!!). How long will it take to walk???

10 hours ago, diane0805 said:

Well it was my brother who travels in France quite often who said it's cheaper just to buy tickets on the day. Certainly their flexible tickets are expensive. Don't think I'd book for a specific train on a non refundable ticket right now with this threatened rail strike anyway. We might have to bus it from Luxembourg to Metz, no biggie only about an hour (unless there's no fuel for the buses with the fuel depot blockade!!). How long will it take to walk???

Should be plenty of bikes sitting around