Worst Managers In Scottish Football - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Worst Managers In Scottish Football

As the title says, worst managers in Scottish football, past and present. Club and division doesn't matter.

Obvious candidates have got to be John Barnes and Claude Anelka but there's bound to be others.

Btw what on earth went wrong for Jim Fallon during his stint as Dumbarton manager between September 1995 and November 1996 ? Their record in that time was two wins, six draws and a whopping forty-two losses :blink:

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When you consider the relative budgets it's difficult to see past Super Ally. In as much as I loved the guy as a player, it was just a disaster.

The Tims have had some crackers. Mowbray, Jo Venglos,  Lou Macari, Liam Brady and of course Barnes. 

Steve Paterson at Aberdeen? Read his book recently. Pretty mixed up guy. 

No thanks for reminding me about the disaster that was Gerry Collins, who I'd conveniently managed to erase from my memory.

Franck Sauzee unfortunately belongs in this catergory for his stint as Hibs manager.

Edited by Barney Rubble

1 hour ago, Stewart_Aberdeen said:

Mark McGhee by a mile. 

I'll assume some Thistle fans might say Gerry Collins but he's one of my footballing heroes. 

*edit*

Saying that the thread does say in Scottish football overall so the Motherwell fans will disagree. 

He splits opinion.

:lol:

I think generally Motherwell fans are willing to tolerate him if we're winning, a few weeks ago we didn't like him, now he's a good guy again.

To add to the mix.

Harri Kampman

Ian Barraclough would be in aswell, but he was a nice bloke, and the play off was brilliant.

Jim Gannon would be another nominee, but his legacy was actually a pretty decent squad, he just had no man management skills.

Craig Brewster. Always felt he was a bit simple when his move from Raith Rovers to Utd nearly fell thru because he didn't understand the contract.

His spell as manager at Tannadice confirmed it.  Made Paul Hegarty look like Arrigo Sacchi. 

All the other Celtic managers mentioned had some redeeming features apart from Mowbray, he was feckin hopeless! Dr.Jo for example at least brought the genius that was Lubo. They all also had Rangers to contend with unlike Ronny.

I don't hate him I just think he's out his depth. That said, I don't get all this nice guy stuff. His behaviour towards Eilidh Barber was disgraceful twice and his handling of the Tonev affair ridiculous!

Edited by slasher

2 hours ago, Angus_Young said:

Richard Gough had a pretty bad spell at Livi I think. 

Paul Lambert and Alan Preston

Ill add Terry Butcher to the list

19 minutes ago, slasher said:

His behaviour towards Eilidh Barber was disgraceful twice

What did he do?

*she's a wid btw

5 minutes ago, DoonTheSlope said:

Paul Lambert and Alan Preston

Ill add Terry Butcher to the list

What did he do?

*she's a wid btw

He gave her a lecture on negativity after she asked him a reasonable question over a sloppy goal lost at Hamilton. Then after another piss poor show in Europe he blew his top at her again after what I considered another perfectly reasonable question. I'm not sure he'd have done it with a male reporter and I'm surprised more wasn't made of it although Sutton and Hartson who were there both slated him for it.

5 hours ago, Angus_Young said:

When you consider the relative budgets it's difficult to see past Super Ally. In as much as I loved the guy as a player, it was just a disaster.

The Tims have had some crackers. Mowbray, Jo Venglos,  Lou Macari, Liam Brady and of course Barnes. 

Steve Paterson at Aberdeen? Read his book recently. Pretty mixed up guy. 

That was my thought.

Claude analka. Thread closed. Came in with this ambition to bring players he was an agent for big moves after starting off at raith rovers, unfortuntaley the flaw in his plan was, he was a pi£h, and so were the players. :lol: 

Someone who had clearly thought it eas easy after playing one too many games of fifa and championship manager. Don't think he ever won a game in the 3 months he was in charge. Took about a year to get rid of all the dead wood he had brought in. By that time we were relegated and had a massive rebuilding job to do. 

Paul le Guen was an interesting choice of manager but his expansive style was too namby-pamby for Scottish football. His European record was good though, including a first ever win for us in Italy, but his fall outs with Baz Fez and Fernando Ricksen were his downfall.

That, and signing keech like Karl Svensson, Libor Sionko, Lionel Letizi and Filip Sebo (last minute Aberdeen winner apart...)

He did sign the legend that is Sasa Papac so he gets partial credit for that. Also a stat that became a staple of Ian Crocker's commentary for years to come.

Edited by thewolf_1980