Rangers players in squad by qualifiers. - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Rangers players in squad by qualifiers.

Guest allyc

Guest allyc

With rangers pumping dundee at the weekend and the fact they will be back in the premier next season.it's only a matter of time before the Strachan starts picking rangers players again.who therefore out of the current group of young players do people think will be worthy of a shout?...

Andy Robertson, Kieran Tierney and Barry Douglas should be the three left backs on form considered for the next squads - Next in line is Graeme Shinnie.

Lee Wallace doesn't deserve a call up yet, next season maybe.

And I am a Rangers fan - Just not a delusional one like most.

Mckay definitely deserves a call up. Wallace I'm not sure about, he has been excellent this year for us but defensively might still be behind a few other candidates.

Jason Holt also can't be far away from being called up if he keeps his form up.

43 minutes ago, scot scotland scottish said:

Been watching the Polish and Turkish league closely then?

Fair enough point, i guess. I've not seen him for a while. When he left he was nowhere near being good enough for international football though. I should however give him a fair crack at the whip. To be fair, ProudScot probably seems Douglas play as much as i do though... 

26 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Fair enough point, i guess. I've not seen him for a while. When he left he was nowhere near being good enough for international football though. I should however give him a fair crack at the whip. To be fair, ProudScot probably seems Douglas play as much as i do though... 

Neither was Charlie Mulgrew before his switch to Celtic - Shows what a step up can do for a player.

Won the Polish league - Playing regular and now playing regular for a good Turkish top flight side.

Would be mad not to call him up in a friendly where we are trying new guys surely!? Especially when Scottish Championship players are being touted for a call up!

1 hour ago, Parklife said:

I was a fan of him at United (putting me in a minority) although I'd readily concede he wasn't international standard. I've not watched him in Poland or Turkey either so can't comment on his progress.

To be fair we're quite well served for left backs (other than Strachan's baffling choice of Whittaker on occasions) and wouldn't see the need to call him up.

Strachan needs to come round to Andy Roberston being the number one left back, irrespective of who the opposition is - defensively is just as good (or just as bad depending on your viewpoint!)) as the rest of them, and far away our best LB going forward. And puts in the best crosses of any of our players.

3 hours ago, ProudScot said:

Andy Robertson, Kieran Tierney and Barry Douglas should be the three left backs on form considered for the next squads - Next in line is Graeme Shinnie.

It's not that long ago that some on here were despairing about our dearth of left backs. Now we have (in no particular order) Wallace, Tierney, Douglas, Robertson and Shinnie - all still young.

So Shinnie is not on form???? He has been playing consistently for years now whilst up at Inverness and now at Aberdeen. He has been our best player this season, there's no doubt about that. How you can consider Tierney & Douglas to be ahead of him amazes me! 

Tierney is a prospect yes I will agree but Shinnie is a better player at this moment. I havent seen any of Douglas since he left Scotland but Strachan obviously isn't concerned about him as he hasn't been picked for any previous squads - it was Shinnie who got the nod for Poland/Gibraltar ahead of the above & Craig Forsyth.

Shinnie has the best chance of dislodging Andy Robertson from the LB slot 

You'd probably argue if Strachan was overly fussed about Shinnie he would've capped him by now - Especially in that Gibraltar match he was an usused sub for.

Tierney has impressed repeatedly in Europe and is bang on form as he showed at the weekend. He's 18 and a huge prospect - He should be called up.

15 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

You'd probably argue if Strachan was overly fussed about Shinnie he would've capped him by now - Especially in that Gibraltar match he was an usused sub for.

Tierney has impressed repeatedly in Europe and is bang on form as he showed at the weekend. He's 18 and a huge prospect - He should be called up.

Shinnie should have played some part vs Gibraltar, I would like to think most fans agree? Our subs that night were Fletcher (70 caps), Naismith (41 caps) and Russell (3 caps)

37 minutes ago, clarky1606 said:

Shinnie should have played some part vs Gibraltar, I would like to think most fans agree? Our subs that night were Fletcher (70 caps), Naismith (41 caps) and Russell (3 caps)

I agree Shinnie should have played that night - It was ridiculous that he didn't. He should've started.

58 minutes ago, Stu101 said:

As a Ranger Fan, McKay without a doubt

Wallace would normally be considered too, but I'd rather have some of the younger players become more established.

Bit early for McKay too really - Would be best to wait and see how he gets on next season? Same for McGinn. Impressive but a very low level really!

37 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

I agree Shinnie should have played that night - It was ridiculous that he didn't. He should've started.

Why ?

If I recollect, there was no need for a defender in that match.

Andy Robertson is our top left back.

Tierney is our top prospect.

Shinnie is a good player but will have to appreciate he is not first in the list at international level, but a good squad player if required. 

4 minutes ago, jock strap said:

Why ?

If I recollect, there was no need for a defender in that match.

Andy Robertson is our top left back.

Tierney is our top prospect.

Shinnie is a good player but will have to appreciate he is not first in the list at international level, but a good squad player if required. 

Because he deserved to be played - It was a meaningless no pressure game and he was the only uncapped player in the squad.

The rest of your post is accurate.

8 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Because he deserved to be played - It was a meaningless no pressure game and he was the only uncapped player in the squad.

The rest of your post is accurate.

Didn't know he was the only uncapped player in the squad to be honest. 

I rate Shinnie, his time will come and he will get capped. It's just unfortunate that he wasn't capped against Gib.