The 0 Pointer - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The 0 Pointer

GaryWood34

Hello All,

Just reluctantly renewed so I could buy a season ticket and make certain I get my brief to watch us humble England at Hampden (certainly not for the gorgeous tshirt on offer this year - I've actually ordered a size 4-5 years old for my nephew, he won't be embarassed wearing it).

My question is how does a zero pointer gain that first point. I'm in the situation where I have attended every home game for the past 12 years but the away games I go to I have had to get tickets in different ways meaning that I don't gain the point.

It looks to be a vicious circle - any way out to gain that elusive first point?

I thought prague was an option - nope - It's for 5 pointers.

Cheers in advance.

Edited by GaryWood34
spelling

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even attending every away qualifier there has been times when I struggled to 

get a ticket.  Be a good idea to insist everyone wanting to go to an away group 

game buys a home season book. Should also be a random ballot for guys like you.

The upcoming games against Italy and France could be a start for you. 

Been discussed before but I think it needs to relooked at.  I think you should get rewarded points for attending home games aswell.

Edited by BMan

8 minutes ago, BMan said:

Been discussed before but I think it needs to relooked at.  I think you should get rewarded points for attending home games aswell.

Doesn't need changed. ST holders got rewarded last time with a free NI ticket. 

46 minutes ago, BMan said:

Is that going to make a huge difference though? Almost everyone who attends away games regularly will also regularly attend home games.... so they will still be at the front of the line by a similar distance as what it already is.

Something like 15 or so of the last 20 games have went to zero points..... Prague I am very suspect over and my gut feeling is there is people abusing the system with one eye on Wembley this year (so I half expect that demand for the next few games will be pretty high.... with any games after Wembley back down to a more regular level)

If you are going to be rewarded for home game attendance, then it will be for a home game (ie another free ticket or something)

5 minutes ago, scottincarlisle said:

Not any more for home games.

I think the vast majority of high pointers still do.

On one hand it might actually help improve attendances at home games slightly if there is an incentive to go, but at the same time, it will be open up a lot more for manipulation than what away games are, so its not worth it

I don't think any system is perfect but I think the current system is the best choice we have.

There is enough debate about harvesting points for away games without introducing a points system for home games; that's only going to add to the problem.

If your intention is to attend every game, then the away points will soon add up and you'll have no problem getting tickets.  If you want to pick and choose the games to go to then there's a chance you will be left disappointed.

Also, only 1 point was required for Prague so even the large number that attended the Gibraltar and/or England games had the option of a ticket.

Edited by braveheart_lynch

2 hours ago, GaryWood34 said:

Hello All,

Just reluctantly renewed so I could buy a season ticket and make certain I get my brief to watch us humble England at Hampden (certainly not for the gorgeous tshirt on offer this year - I've actually ordered a size 4-5 years old for my nephew, he won't be embarassed wearing it).

My question is how does a zero pointer gain that first point. I'm in the situation where I have attended every home game for the past 12 years but the away games I go to I have had to get tickets in different ways meaning that I don't gain the point.

Cheers in advance.

You could have gone to Faro, Tbilisi, Warsaw, Fulham, Molde, Skopje, London, Zagreb, Novi Sad, Luxembourg, Brussels, Cardiff, Florida, Cyprus, Dublin, Dublin, Arsenal or Dublin to name 18 games in the last 4/5 years.

2 hours ago, BMan said:

There is nothing wrong with the system at the moment. As said by Wanderer around 15 of the last 20 away games have went to zero points with USA being the only non European nation (I think?)

1 hour ago, scottincarlisle said:

Doesn't need changed. ST holders got rewarded last time with a free NI ticket. 

Totally agree! It costs a fortune to travel to away games (and home games from Aberdeen for me) and if my chances of getting a ticket were reduced because someone from Glasgow (for example) has went to the last few home games and somehow now qualifies for an away game it would be very unfair! 

Those who go to home games are given a home based reward (free NI ticket for example). Those who go to away games are given an away based reward - first choice at tickets based on current points table.

3 hours ago, GaryWood34 said:

Hello All,

Cheers in advance.

Without wanting to sound like a smart @rse, the last campaign was when you should have started. We had a group where tickets for Gib and Georgia away were pretty easy to get, Germany we got a decent allocation as we also did in Warsaw and Dublin. 

By going to Wembley and Nigeria, both in London, both open to all members, you would have got a ticket in Germany, been on 3 points, would have got a ticket for Warsaw, been on 4 points, guaranteed you a ticket for Dublin, been on 5, would have got 2 points for Georgia and Gib and currently been on 7 ahead of the friendlies and qualifiers. However, hindsight and all that.

The upcoming campaign is going to be harder with pretty small allocations in Slovakia, Slovenia, Lithuania definitely and possibly a smaller allocation at Wembley. 

It would also appear that people are possibly harvesting in Prague with Wembley, and maybe the other qualifiers in mind. As for the other 2 friendlies, Italy in Malta should certainly go to 0 points, would be very surprised if that doesn't. France away may not however. Its a Saturday evening in June in a relatively easy to get to to place so I can see there being points needed for it even with a decent allocation. 

1 hour ago, deecie said:

You could have gone to Faro, Tbilisi, Warsaw, Fulham, Molde, Skopje, London, Zagreb, Novi Sad, Luxembourg, Brussels, Cardiff, Florida, Cyprus, Dublin, Dublin, Arsenal or Dublin to name 18 games in the last 4/5 years.

In the last campaign not Germany, Poland or Ireland though. 

Why not insist on a season book being required for home games, to qualify for group away games?

Well priced this year and surely affordable if you can fund travelling away?

4 minutes ago, teecee- said:

Why not insist on a season book being required for home games, to qualify for group away games?

Poland was open to all members. You only needed 1 point for a Germany ticket.

5 minutes ago, teecee- said:

Rubbish. I joined the original STC for away games. I'm choosing not to go to home games this time round & go to the away games purely down to days of matches & holiday time. Are you seriously saying people have to buy a home ST to travel ? 

44 minutes ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

The upcoming campaign is going to be harder with pretty small allocations in Slovakia, Slovenia, Lithuania definitely and possibly a smaller allocation at Wembley. 

Slovakia we will get a healthy amount of tickets (2,000-ish) which in years gone by would have been probably enough to get as low as 1 point (borderline zero) but as its last chance to get a point before Wembley tickets go on sale probably going to drag that number up a fair bit............... Lithuania will be very low (I have already asked a friend in Kaunas to look for a ticket for the home end for me as I do not expect the sale of tickets for that game to get down low enough)............. Slovenia being the last game, again, we will probably get a healthy amount of tickets which should be enough (as this game will be all but meaningless by the time it comes around) unless the game actually means something (ie winner gets the play off spot, then tickets might eb tricky to come by) IIRC England got 2,000 tickets for the game in Ljublijana, and sure Ukraine got 1,500 tickets for the play off game in Maribor (was speaking to one of the UK Ukraine supporters club members from Luton in Edinburgh a few weeks back and all 6 of the guys from his club got tickets no problem) 

Edited by wanderer

53 minutes ago, scottincarlisle said:

Rubbish. I joined the original STC for away games. I'm choosing not to go to home games this time round & go to the away games purely down to days of matches & holiday time. Are you seriously saying people have to buy a home ST to travel ? 

Need all we can to boost  attendances at home games, no season book no Wembley. 

It really isn't that hard, I personally struggled to get the time to go before this year, only previously been to Wembley and Faro. Used these two games to get me to prague, two points still after Prague which will get me to Italy game and should get me to France too. Four points after that is hopefully enough for Bratislava (I can't make Malta) five for Wembley and sitting on six at the end of the year.

Getting the points is the easy part, getting the time off from work and the cash flow is the hard part.

I do think something like one point for a home game and three for an away is something that could be looked at however....

I'm not convinced points for home games would make much difference to who actually gets the tickets. It'd also be impossible to monitor misuse of it.

That being said. I'm surprised as a way to increase crowds and bring in revenue the SFA haven't done it before now.

First points often come with a bit of effort. I felt rewarded for attending a meaningless friendly in a foot of snow halfway up a frozen fjord in Molde on a random November night 3 years ago for example. There were no more than 400 of us there, in 3 days I was on 4 flights, 2 trains and 3 buses. It was worth it, every penny.