Turkish language help - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Turkish language help

Is it for document translation or interpretation?

Google translate & similar ones have a reasonable, albeit not perfect level of accuracy, good enough to give you the gist of something anyway. If it's an interpreter you need & urgent try Language Line (not cheap but good).

I'm off to Galatasaray v Fenerbahce the weekend after next. In order to gain entry, you not only have to have a ticket, but you have to have a Passolig card, or at least applied for one. I've done the latter and have proof of application. I've also bought tickets from viagogo, but I must pick them up at the ground, rather than downloading the. Viagogo and Passolig have obviously been in contact with one another, but all of the e-mail correspondence has been in Turkish.

It may well be all will be resolved when we get to the ground, but, just in case there's important stuff in the messages, I'd be happier to know what has been said therein.

9 minutes ago, VASCO said:

I'm off to Galatasaray v Fenerbahce the weekend after next. In order to gain entry, you not only have to have a ticket, but you have to have a Passolig card, or at least applied for one. I've done the latter and have proof of application. I've also bought tickets from viagogo, but I must pick them up at the ground, rather than downloading the. Viagogo and Passolig have obviously been in contact with one another, but all of the e-mail correspondence has been in Turkish.

It may well be all will be resolved when we get to the ground, but, just in case there's important stuff in the messages, I'd be happier to know what has been said therein.

I went to Galatasary - Astana in December, thoroughly enjoyed it, great stadium and a good atmosphere despite only being half full.

I would take your passport as well when getting your tickets as we had to present ours when picking up briefs.

you'll get searched after you pick up your tickets as you enter the surrounds of the stadium and you'll get searched again going through the turnstile. They will take lighters and coins off you, so don't turn up with a pocket full of coins. Also, when buying scran or tea inside the stadium they don't give you change. For example, a tea was 3 lira and I gave them 5 but they don't give the change as they would have to give it in coins which are not allowed in the stadium, so just be wary of that.

Other than that it's a great city and a great stadium, you'll enjoy it.

Have you given Viagogo your passig details?

The ticket will have to match your card which must match your face.

It was a right arse getting Fenerbache tickets, it's also annoying that everything is stored on the card.

I applied ages ago for Passolig cards for Partick Pete and myself which we would pick up at the stadium. I have electronic confirmation of the applications. I used the correct passport details at the time, but Peter's passport was due to expire in July, and the date was after that allowed when he applied for his Turkish visa. He now has a new passport, and I reapplied for another Passolig card for him, and, once again, I have electronic confirmation.

The Viagogo site stated that you would need to have, OR AT LEAST HAVE APPLIED FOR, the appropriate card. The game is on the Sunday, and that is the only day on which you cannot pick up your cards. We don't arrive until the Saturday evening. According to all known sources, including the Passolig site, you don't actually need to have the card, as you can get a day-pass to allow you entry with the tickets you have - assuming that you have applied for the card. 

After purchasing the tickets from Viagogo, I was sent a message telling me I could download the tickets. When trying to do so, I ended up at a Passolig page, which showed me a small image of the tickets, but states that you have to actually pick them up at the ground by bringing along your passport.

I still assume that everything will be o.k., but, as I said earlier, I was worried that I might have omitted to do something that the e-mails told me to. Of course, I'll take all the appropriate correspondence, and, as the game is at 19:00, we'll have plenty of time to argue the toss, if necessary.

8 hours ago, VASCO said:

I applied ages ago for Passolig cards for Partick Pete and myself which we would pick up at the stadium. I have electronic confirmation of the applications. I used the correct passport details at the time, but Peter's passport was due to expire in July, and the date was after that allowed when he applied for his Turkish visa. He now has a new passport, and I reapplied for another Passolig card for him, and, once again, I have electronic confirmation.

The Viagogo site stated that you would need to have, OR AT LEAST HAVE APPLIED FOR, the appropriate card. The game is on the Sunday, and that is the only day on which you cannot pick up your cards. We don't arrive until the Saturday evening. According to all known sources, including the Passolig site, you don't actually need to have the card, as you can get a day-pass to allow you entry with the tickets you have - assuming that you have applied for the card. 

After purchasing the tickets from Viagogo, I was sent a message telling me I could download the tickets. When trying to do so, I ended up at a Passolig page, which showed me a small image of the tickets, but states that you have to actually pick them up at the ground by bringing along your passport.

I still assume that everything will be o.k., but, as I said earlier, I was worried that I might have omitted to do something that the e-mails told me to. Of course, I'll take all the appropriate correspondence, and, as the game is at 19:00, we'll have plenty of time to argue the toss, if necessary.

The day pass looks just like the real thing, only it won't have your picture printed on it - but your picture will be saved onto the card electronically. When you get to the gate, you swipe the card to make sure it's the right person using it.

I used to live in a very colourful area in Istanbul and I understand "I've been stabbed.", "Get her, fu. cking tramp." (As in catch her and not the americanised Get her.)  "bitch stabbed my arse." "Aaaaahhhhhhh" (that's an easy one.) "whore you best run." Few others but they were my favourites.