The Two Squads - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Two Squads

ErsatzThistle

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, tricky6 said:

Who is Oliver Burke? lol

3 minutes ago, McTeeko said:

Aye right enough. I just read Burke (Nottingham Forest) and assumed it was Chris. 

Oliver is an 18 year old winger born in England. 

You two really need to serve some time in the "Scotland Players In Action" thread. D- for both of you.....

Shinnie is a genuine contender for player of the year. Can't fathom any possible reason why he shouidnt have made at least one of the squads.

Ross McCormack has 20 goals this season for Fulham.

Tony Watt has 7 for Blackburn.

Watt gets called up, McCormack doesn't.

Scotland squad to face Czech Republic 

Goalkeepers
Scott Bain (Dundee)    Aye
Allan McGregor (Hull City)   Aye 

Defenders
Christophe Berra (Ipswich Town) Aye    
Gordon Greer (Brighton and Hove Albion) Naw
Alan Hutton (Aston Villa)    so so
Russell Martin (Norwich City)    Aye
Charlie Mulgrew (Celtic)    Naw
Andrew Robertson (Hull City)   Aye 
Steven Whittaker (Norwich City)    Naw

Midfielders
Ikechi Anya (Watford)    Aye
Barry Bannan (Sheffield Wednesday) Glad hes back.   
Darren Fletcher (West Bromwich Albion)   Aye
Kevin McDonald (Wolverhampton Wanderers) Naw    
Kenny McLean (Aberdeen) Haven't seen much of him.
Matt Phillips (Queens Park Rangers)    Naw
Robert Snodgrass (Hull City)    Glad hes back.

Forwards    
Steven Fletcher (Olympique de Marseille*)    Aye
Steven Naismith (Norwich City)    Aye
Tony Watt (Blackburn Rovers**) Naw

Scotland squad to face Denmark

Goalkeepers
Craig Gordon (Celtic)    Aye
David Marshall (Cardiff City) Aye    

Defenders
Ikechi Anya (Watford)    Aye, defender or previously mentioned mid.
Liam Cooper (Leeds United)   Aye
Gordon Greer (Brighton and Hove Albion)  Naw
Grant Hanley (Blackburn Rovers)    Aye
Charlie Mulgrew (Celtic)    Naw how he gets picked once never mind twice says alot about Strachan and his favourites.
Kieran Tierney (Celtic)  Aye
Steven Whittaker (Norwich City)    Naw how he gets picked once never mind twice says alot about Strachan and his favourites.

Midfielders
Liam Bridcutt (Leeds United*) Aye    
Scott Brown (Celtic) Aye   
Oliver Burke (Nottingham Forest) Haven't seen much of him.    
James Forrest (Celtic) Says alot about Strachan and his favourites. Atleast he only got picked once!
John McGinn (Hibernian) Aye
Jamie Murphy (Brighton and Hove Albion) Haven't seen him since he left Scotland (deserved to be picked then)    
Matt Ritchie (Bournemouth) Aye   

Forwards    
Steven Fletcher (Olympique de Marseille*) Aye   
Leigh Griffiths (Celtic) Should start this game.   
Chris Martin (Derby County) Jordan Rhodes must be spewing.   

Have had to google some players, which I suppose is not a bad thing, shows Strachan is really looking for talent. Oliver Burke is an interesting one, Wikipedia says he's English and 18 years old. Made a couple of appearances for Scotland U19's and is a winger. It is good that Strachan is trying to integrate these young players early or even giving them an opportunity to show what they can do. Puzzled however to see Rhodes, Shinnie and McCormack haven't been called up, yet a player like James Forrest has been? Must be handing Strachan a brown envelope. Overall however, happy to see that there are some new, young players being given a chance, that's what friendlies should be used for! On a side note, would love to see Strachan experiment with 2 upfront (Griffiths and Fletcher) in the Denmark game, just to see how it works out, however will it happen, probably not. 

Strachan is seriously starting to hack me off, I know that we will never agree on the squads he choses but you cannot leave out one of the best players in our league like shinnie

Can't wait for the inevitable 3rd or 4th place finish though.

2 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Reading comments on twitter make me realise we still have a fecking lot of idiots in the Scotland support.

A common example being the logic of dismissing Cooper and Burke because "If I've never heard of them - then they must be pish !"

I think its more a case of them getting in before others, probably does the management a favour in that it limits the players who would expect a start....

I suppose if there is a player in the Czech squad who impresses in Prague, but not included in the squad for the Denmark game that there will be the option open for that player to have their stay extended for the Denmark game.

At the moment there is a couple of things he can do with the squad for the Czech game, yet the team for the Denmark game from the squad selected almost seems to pick itself.

2 minutes ago, Pâté said:

I imagine Rhodes, McCormack, Shinnie, Holt, Armstrong will be called up after a few calls offs.

Overall, very underwhelming.  

STRACHAN OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wouldnt go as far as that at the moment but I am edging ever close to it!

Starting to think if giving him another campaign of calling up 5-6 boys a time who don't deserve it will cost us dearly again... 

I hope not .... IN GORD WE TRUST!!!!!!! (for now)