The Two Squads - Page 6 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Two Squads

ErsatzThistle

You guys are a joke,  especially by still calling for Gordon's head,  he's staying so get that into your thick heads!! 

Next, give the players a chance ffs. 

To say Tierney doesn't deserve a call up is laughable!! 

I agree about some of the ommisions being strange but certainly am behind the management team 100%. 

I really hope Tierney, Watt, Cooper,  McLean, McGinn and Olly Burke play well. 

Same with Jamie Murphy,  I can't remember him being in the squad before. 

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A staggeringly bizarre pair of squads. Strachan's comments about not picking the likes of Rhodes because he already knows what they can do for us makes absolutely no sense whatsoever and sounds like an off the cuff, made up excuse which is an insult to our intellects.

Gordon Greer - nice chap, done reasonably well for us but Strachan knows what he can do so what's different with the others? Baffling and depressing.

I agree with Rossy, there are Vogtsesque comparisons here. There are also dangers of alienating those omitted players who must surely be now considering declining any future invitations to join up with the squad.

Edited by thewolf_1980

Just listened to the BBC Sportsound podcast, with the pundits being equally as puzzled as the fans are about players being left out such as Rhodes and McCormack. If Strachan is using the excuse of "We know what they can do" then why call up Steven Fletcher? He starts every game, surely it's time to let another striker start? If you're going to do that, now is the best time, before the campaign starts, in friendlies. No point in throwing a striker on in a game with 10 minutes to go, they've no time to make an impact. If Griffiths doesn't start against Denmark then I don't think he ever will! 

7 hours ago, JECK said:

I've not seen it but if that lad Burke is getting some sort of abuse from so called fans as has been mentioned on here that is a fecking disgrace. Genuinely raging at that.:banghead:

Apparently he's in the squad because he's 'a big lad for his age'. Strachan also had no idea that he existed until recently, which isn't surprising considering he's apparently only played 18 games of senior football.

Not the lad's fault that Strachan has thrown in him in, and I wish him a long and succesful career, but his selection is utterly bizarre.

11 hours ago, Rossy said:

That's absolutely identical to what people said of Vogts' scattergun approach. 

Out of the names mentioned, I know nothing in the slightest about Cooper and Burke. I'm presuming that Strachan's actually seen them....I'm wondering though what magic he's seen in them to catapult them into the squad ahead of consistent performers in Shinnie and McCormack.

From the other 4, Murphy has been around and gone nowhere for years, Tierney is an untried kid who is screaming out Stephen 'if he's good enough for Celtic' Crainey, 

McGinn's selection based on a few decent games for a lower league club is frankly bizarre, and McLean isn't even the best player in Aberdeen's midfield. 

The only one from that list I'd have in the squad is Scott Bain, who has the potential to be an excellent keeper.

Don't even get me started on what Forrest... me....Hutton, Fletcher, McDonald, or Phillips have done domestically to get call-ups. 

I can't be the only sick of seeing Scotland managers name utter random dross and give them caps. 

I agree with pretty much every word of this. 

Questioning players being called up because you don't know anything about them says more about you than the selection.

These players are ideal for young players that could be part of the team for the next 10 years. 

The obsession with picking average players that will never improve the team is daft. 

26 minutes ago, Rossy said:

Apparently he's in the squad because he's 'a big lad for his age'. Strachan also had no idea that he existed until recently, which isn't surprising considering he's apparently only played 18 games of senior football.

Not the lad's fault that Strachan has thrown in him in, and I wish him a long and succesful career, but his selection is utterly bizarre.

Maybe Strachan's is just  excited by a 6ft 2 winger that's as quick as a train. He's not just big for his age, he's bigger than the seniors too. And he has plenty of ability and played for the u19s. Strachan is absolutely right when he says most of our goals take 5 or 6 passes and are very hard work. Provided we don't compromise on ability, we need quick, powerful players that can get us cheap goals.

9 hours ago, thewolf_1980 said:

A staggeringly bizarre pair of squads. Strachan's comments about not picking the likes of Rhodes because he already knows what they can do for us makes absolutely no sense whatsoever and sounds like an off the cuff, made up excuse which is an insult to our intellects.

Gordon Greer - nice chap, done reasonably well for us but Strachan knows what he can do so what's different with the others? Baffling and depressing.

I agree with Rossy, there are Vogtsesque comparisons here. There are also dangers of alienating those omitted players who must surely be now considering declining any future invitations to join up with the squad.

Strachan said the same of shinnie. 

If he knows what they can do does that mean he doesn't know what Hutton, Forrest or Greer can do.

it was a terrible excuse from a joker. 

15 hours ago, flynnyboy said:

Respectfully disagree on these points.

Celtic's title race should not even be a consideration when picking a Scotland squad. Kinda get what you mean about his injury but every player risks injury playing for club or country. If he is deemed to be fit by our medical team then there is no issue in my mind.

True, it's all ifs and buts, I am just surprised that Strachan has picked him. Hopefully he scores the winner out there and Strachans selection is justified... I will be guy in a kilt with the "knew this would come back to bite me in the arse" expression on my face :wave::lol:

4 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Strachan said the same of shinnie. 

If he knows what they can do does that mean he doesn't know what Hutton, Forrest or Greer can do.

it was a terrible excuse from a joker. 

I can only assume that the "i know what they can do" line really translates to "i know what they can do and i don't rate it much", 

3 minutes ago, Parklife said:

I can only assume that the "i know what they can do" line really translates to "i know what they can do and i don't rate it much", 

If that's what he thinks then he should crack on. He will be out of a job in two years when he fails for the 2nd time. 

not that his opinion is that important but Tom English practically laughed his tits off when going through the squad. My favourite part was when he said we can't score goals so we leave out two players who score goals.

i appreciate that these are not qualifiers but strachan has admitted that he will use the same system............a system that failed.

10 hours ago, thewolf_1980 said:

Greer has done ok when called upon, but he is out the picture at Brighton just now...... I can only think he was called up because of the injury to Patterson and just how bare-boned we are at the back.

Said for a long time that there is a element of Vogts-ish about Strachan, but unlike Vogts and just like Levein, he has the press eating out of the palm of his hand, so will never be questioned by the media.

Problem with the tail-end of the last campaign was we had a awful lot of first team players who were seriously off form.....if Mulgrew could refind the form he was having 2 years ago his selection would not be questioned and one of the first names on the team sheet...... Hutton is a shadow of the player he was 7/8 years ago, but still pulls out the odd good game, so will always find a place in the squad.

Can only assume Rhodes is nowhere near the team because he has not hit the ground running at Boro.

Edited by wanderer

14 hours ago, Rossy said:

The more I look at the squads, the more I realise that we're still in the fast-lane of the long road to nowhere.

Hutton must the be the worst defender (not just right-back) in the country. Steven Fletcher ? Forrest ? A guy who failed in the SPL but plays OK against Alloa ? An 18 year old completely untried left-back ?

This is the identical, unrelenting scattergun pish that Vogts tried. 

In 5 years time we'll be ridiculing Strachan in the same way as we're doing to Vogts just now.

Closer to  5 months.

Dinosaur in action.

Going by form I have no idea how Scott Arfield and Ross McCormick aren't in the squad.  As a motherwell fan I have to say Jamie Murphy has never struck me as being anything more than just an average player, not international class for me.  Scott Arfield has been brilliant for Burnley this season, I watch a lot of the championship as I am a leeds fan and he has been class along with McCormick for Fulham.  Strachan must not fancy them at all for Scotland, I have no idea why.

Only other player I think should deserve a call up would be calum Paterson anytime I have saw him he has been really good and defo one for the future

57 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Greer has done ok when called upon, but he is out the picture at Brighton just now...... I can only think he was called up because of the injury to Patterson and just how bare-boned we are at the back.

Said for a long time that there is a element of Vogts-ish about Strachan, but unlike Vogts and just like Levein, he has the press eating out of the palm of his hand, so will never be questioned by the media.

Problem with the tail-end of the last campaign was we had a awful lot of first team players who were seriously off form.....if Mulgrew could refind the form he was having 2 years ago his selection would not be questioned and one of the first names on the team sheet...... Hutton is a shadow of the player he was 7/8 years ago, but still pulls out the odd good game, so will always find a place in the squad.

Can only assume Rhodes is nowhere near the team because he has not hit the ground running at Boro.

Yeah Rhodes defo hasn't had greatest starts at Boro, starting then playing on bench following week, think he will still come good for Boro

18 minutes ago, kmcca5 said:

I also think Jordan Archer would have been worth a call up for these Friendlies if we are taking a look at young players for the future.

Absolutely. Strachan says "he knows what guys can do" Well atleast be consistent with that statement.

Gordon Greer is 35/36 and not getting a game for his club. Surely a chance to look at John Souttar or another CB prospect if there is one

Edited by ProudScot

1 hour ago, Geed said:

Going by form I have no idea how Scott Arfield and Ross McCormick aren't in the squad.  As a motherwell fan I have to say Jamie Murphy has never struck me as being anything more than just an average player, not international class for me.  Scott Arfield has been brilliant for Burnley this season, I watch a lot of the championship as I am a leeds fan and he has been class along with McCormick for Fulham.  Strachan must not fancy them at all for Scotland, I have no idea why.

Only other player I think should deserve a call up would be calum Paterson anytime I have saw him he has been really good and defo one for the future

I suggest you Google "Scott Arfield and Canada".

I don't really know what more Strachan can do, he's explained why some guys are in both squads, new guys called up and guys omitted. It's pretty simple really.

If he'd called up 2 squads of 22 there'd have been a dozen or so guys who got no game time at all.

Im quite impressed with what he's done, it's quite groundbreaking for us, although I don't agree 100% with a couple of omissions.

He's the manager though, so while he's in charge he gets my full backing.

1 hour ago, ErsatzThistle said:

I suggest you Google "Scott Arfield and Canada".

I know about the Canada thing, that's why am saying Strachan should be calling him up and play him so we don't lose out any anymore good Scottish born midfielders

2 minutes ago, Geed said:

I know about the Canada thing, that's why am saying Strachan should be calling him up and play him so we don't lose out any anymore good Scottish born midfielders

Was a article few weeks back where Arfield said that Strachan has actually gave him his blessing to go play for Canada

9 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Was a article few weeks back where Arfield said that Strachan has actually gave him his blessing to go play for Canada

I never saw that article, if true strachans missing a gem by letting him go so easy, him, McDonald and Bannan all work there socks off in midfield.