Signing Your Ballot Paper - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Signing Your Ballot Paper

Was watching the news tonight and they were doing a piece on the ballot counting etc and spoke about the technology used to look at signatures on the paper. Am I in my early dotage as I don't recall ever signing a ballot paper?????

Only applies to postal votes!!

Please dont sign your ballot at the polling station!!! ( well unless its a no!)

Was watching the news tonight and they were doing a piece on the ballot counting etc and spoke about the technology used to look at signatures on the paper. Am I in my early dotage as I don't recall ever signing a ballot paper?????

it's for postal vote you sign a statement which is separated from your ballot paper- checked and then your ballot paper can be accepted.

Do not sign or make any other identifying mark on your ballot paper

to be honest i think the rule is as long as the voting intention is clear , stress that SHOULD be what happens, i'll just put an "x" and leave out scribbling the declaration of arbroath or some other diatribe.

It's subject to the person in charge on the day. I'd heard similar that it should count as long as it's a clearly made choice (i.e a tick instead of a cross) but it's down to those in charge allowing it.

to be honest i think the rule is as long as the voting intention is clear , stress that SHOULD be what happens, i'll just put an "x" and leave out scribbling the declaration of arbroath or some other diatribe.

There are two separate reasons to reject a ballot paper one is if the voter's intention isn't clear and the other is if they identify themselves in some way.

a voter who ticks, uses a number, smiley faces basically any mark in one box only is ok.