Car - Recommendations - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Car - Recommendations

Looking for a car for my wife. She has a Renault Clio at the moment but its only three door and now my granddaughter is three we are looking for a five door. Doesn't really do a lot of miles but this might increase slightly in the next year. She has a 1.1 at the moment but probably looking for a step up a bit in engine size. Also not really looking to buy new.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Edited by EddardStark

I have a Ford Focus EcoBoost. Love it.

1 litre Turbo, surprisingly quick, £30 a year road tax, 42mpg and comes with all the Bluetooth gubbins.

Only thing I'd say is this passenger footwell space is limited for myself when a child seat is fitted behind.... but I am 6ft6, wife is okay though.

Edited by Coldo

My wife has a 5 door Audi A1 with the DSG gearbox and she loves it.  Fine for  kids in the back but maybe a bit tight when they're older and bigger.  i find it quite awkward to get into as it has low and raked A-pillars to duck under but once you're in it's fine, fits like a glove and great to drive.  The quality is superb.

I hired a Focus in Florida and although it was good to drive the position of the air vents was the stupidest bit of design I've seen for a while - cold air on your hands and none to your face.  The info panel was terribly small and fiddly too - not exactly intuitive with tiny wee text and symbols.